Canucks Off to Hot Start

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Now we've had some close wins, but we're still 3-1 to start the season, which is rare.

In fact, the last time we started 3-1 was back in 2008, winning 3 of 4, 2 of which were won in OT (just like this season).

Not to mention, the Twins and Luongo have had hot starts, which is also rare. It usually takes Luongo at least a few weeks to really get in the groove, but he's been great thus far.

Is it the new coaching staff? Is it because of the upcoming olympics? Is it just pure luck?

Discuss.

John McClane

Apr 23, 2012
Calgary, AB
I won't get too excited until we prove ourselves against some top teams. We've looked great, but when you look at the teams we've faced we should look good and we should win.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I love the relentless forecheck we are playing, I think Torterella was exactly what the team needed. He knows how to play to the teams strengths and how to use his assets.

I think the supporting cast of players has significantly improved. Tanev and Stanton as our bottom pairing looks really good right now.

I'm loving what I am seeing from Santorelli, and Booth looks like he could regain his old self which is positive.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Only reason we didn't do that well is because the defense made some silly mistakes. I think we will start to look better for towards the end of the year. Also like Torts said NJ is a stiff hockey team and they have Schneider so they were pretty strong at keeping the puck away. That results in a low scoring game. But also I agree we were sloppy tonight and the Canucks better wake up and play a good game against the Sharks.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
It just means we're going to hit a slump in late October and/or November and we'll all jump off the cliff then.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Coaching has actually won us games, not cost us. We're also missing key components like Kassian, Burrows and Schroeder up front right now - that significantly hurts our depth. Santorelli and Richardson will be third or fourth line players once Burrows/Kassian/Schroeder are back. That's when we'll truly see how good this team really is.

Right now, we're just trying to get by until we have our full lineup.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Hate to say it, but Luongo IS having his typical slow start. He hasn't looked bad, and I think a lot of it comes from bad defensive breakdowns, but Luongo only has a .901 save percentage. Just think how well the team will do when he starts playing better!

But yeah....next game is a big test against the Sharks, so let's see how we feel after that, if nothing else.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
If they beat SJ on Thursday we can start this conversation. Not gonna get overly excited by beating Edmonton, Calgary and New Jersey but so far so good!

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Hate to say it, but Luongo IS having his typical slow start. He hasn't looked bad, and I think a lot of it comes from bad defensive breakdowns, but Luongo only has a .901 save percentage. Just think how well the team will do when he starts playing better!

But yeah....next game is a big test against the Sharks, so let's see how we feel after that, if nothing else.

Yes because statistics >>> actual play. Luongo has been stellar minus one or two bad goals. I'm guessing u also thought luongo was bad against la and sh last two playoffs?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Yes because statistics >>> actual play. Luongo has been stellar minus one or two bad goals. I'm guessing u also thought luongo was bad against la and sh last two playoffs?

He's played well this season - but let's not pretend he's been anywhere near his peak performance. He's had a couple bad goals, some unlucky goals, and some legit goals scored against him, but he would stop some of those when he's at his best.

So he's not bad, but I expect him to get better.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
He's played well this season - but let's not pretend he's been anywhere near his peak performance. He's had a couple bad goals, some unlucky goals, and some legit goals scored against him, but he would stop some of those when he's at his best.

So he's not bad, but I expect him to get better.

Meh. I thought he carried our play in the LA + SJ series...which is usually a bad indication when a goalie is doing that.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I remember there were fans *****ing and moaning about the sky falling after one loss against the Sharks.

3 wins in a row is nice, but it will only take another couple of ugly losses before some troll starts another "trade/fire everyone" thread.

Trolt

Dec 19, 2005
Canada
Big fan of comeback wins, even thought its arguable we shouldn't have been down goals in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad