Canucks Off to Hot Start

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
I don't understand why we discount wins against the Oilers, I read on the mainboards that they're supposed to finish easily ahead of us.

:D

I agree it's a good point heck I thought the oilers would be better. I want to echo what everyone else is saying though and it was my biggest criticism of AV and that the canucks are just simply working harder. That kind of work ethic and habits will pay dividends .

As well this 7 game trip is there only big one of this kind.

Let's revisit this come December. Early returns are promising though.

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
While I have been enjoying watching the canucks play; I hardly see how we are off to a "hot start" .
We lost to SJ
Beat Edmonton (lol)
We barely beat Calgary whose no.1 centre was Joe freakin Colborne
and we barely beat NJ.
3 of those 4 teams a lot of people have picked for bottom 5 in the league LOL

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
We started hot last year but the difference is we look like a good team when we win right now. Last year even when we won we had no swag - we could cling to wins. This year, even though it's only been 4 games, we've fought hard for the wins.

I think we only played one lousy game, and that was Calgary. I think San Jose is the team to beat this year and we played pretty well given the circumstances. Against Calgary we looked lackluster until we had no choice put to put the gas pedal on in the 3rd.

It seems lame to praise Tortorella this early in the season, but I just have to. the effort level and constant pressure the team is inducing is so refreshing to see right now. He has really turned this team around so far.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I don't understand why we discount wins against the Oilers, I read on the mainboards that they're supposed to finish easily ahead of us.

:D

Lol like every year.

They should make a rule that you cant jave more that 2 lottery picks in a row. Such a waste to see all that talent on one team going nowhere.

King of the ES*

We started hot last year but the difference is we look like a good team when we win right now. Last year even when we won we had no swag - we could cling to wins. This year, even though it's only been 4 games, we've fought hard for the wins.

I think we only played one lousy game, and that was Calgary. I think San Jose is the team to beat this year and we played pretty well given the circumstances. Against Calgary we looked lackluster until we had no choice put to put the gas pedal on in the 3rd.

It seems lame to praise Tortorella this early in the season, but I just have to. the effort level and constant pressure the team is inducing is so refreshing to see right now. He has really turned this team around so far.

Are you sure you've watched the games?

Badly outworked by Calgary and San Jose. Neutral vs. the Devils - neither team showed up.

Edmonton was the closest thing to a consistent effort that we've seen, but a large part of that win was attributed to Devan Dubnyk, really. The "bite" that Tortorella has brought up a few times has simply not shown up. Looks like the exact same team that we've seen with AV, Edler drop pass on the PP et. al.

Wetcoaster

Badly outworked by Calgary and San Jose. Neutral vs. the Devils - neither team showed up.
Yup I watched the games and I do not see it that way.

And more to the point so did Tortorella who had a much different take on things from what you claim.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

Edmonton was the closest thing to a consistent effort that we've seen, but a large part of that win was attributed to Devan Dubnyk, really. The "bite" that Tortorella has brought up a few times has simply not shown up. Looks like the exact same team that we've seen with AV, Edler drop pass on the PP et. al.

Your entire argument is constructed on the false premise you developed about what the bite Tortorella referred to was, as has been pointed out to you countless times.

Also, I don't think I fault the Canucks effort in any game this season. They were terrible/looked out of sorts against Calgary to start the game, but that was the 2nd game of a back-to-back and an early start time. I don't think effort level has been an issue at all -- execution, perhaps.

Why would they stop using the drop pass? It's one of the most effective 5 v 4 zone entry strategies in the NHL, so much so that multiple teams (including the Red Wings) have emulated it.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
Check back around mid November, once the players have time to adjust to the new system and IF we remain healthy. You'll better be able to gauge the team IMO.

Lemurion

Mar 10, 2011
I'm reasonably happy with the start. Sure we beat teams we were "supposed to beat," but we have 3 players and the likely first forward call-up out, and Burrows was a better than 25 goal scorer for each of the last three full seasons.

Getting expected results even with a depleted roster is a positive.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

Part of the arguement that wins vs. lesser teams does not matter. When they beat good teams, it does not matter unless they do it in the playoffs. They lose in the playoffs like 29/30 teams do, i told you it didn't matter.:help:

It is ridiculous to be a fan with a Stanley Cup or bust philosopy. The team has won 5 division titles, 2 presidents cups one Western Conference title in 5 years, but according to many have done nothing.
To me everygame matters, winning divisions matter, President's Trophies matter. Of course Stanley Cups mean the most. However, i would argue that if you won a Stanley Cup without regular season success you are not necessary a top franchaise. you are a franchaise that got hot and probably lucky. I think soccer has the right idea the premiership is the big title for English Clubs. The trophies for tournaments are nice but they do not determine who is the best franchaise. Of course they have a balance schedule and little travel so they can make it fair. Baseball also respects the regular season though less than it use to. Winning penants and division means something. NFL might be the one other sport where it is title or bust.

About S.J. they seem to be emerging, however if Vancouver swept them last year to lose to L.A. in the second round would fans here be happy? Especially losing in the first round the year before. The answer is no. S.J. has had a great run of regular season success but have never managed to beat a top team in the playoffs, sometimes losing to much inferior teams in the process. Why are people willing to crown them? I think they are likely the same team they have always been. Thornton Marleau and Boyle are older than our core and just as important to their team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad