Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Yeah, I mean, I don't know.

I've seen some people i generally think know what's going on think he can be a #4. And this isn't just some odd homers plugging Poolman onto the top pair during training camp and being like "top pair 2.5MM!" type guys.

But at the same time, I don't like the idea of paying tweeners. I've always hated it. I think if they give him that contract, they better be 90% sure he is what they think he is. Because having that $4MM hit on your bottom pair in years 3/4 of that deal when OEL's penalty is a billion dollars, you are going to be absolutely pissed about it.
I think that is where how your team plays comes into a bit

A guy in a system not suited to his game plays like a 2 million dollar player but put him in a system that caters to his style and he plays like a 4 million dollar player

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Just no more long term deals to UFAs. 4 years maximum. Including on players you bring in via trade. This should be a franchise wide mandate from ownership on down.

Reactions: andora

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Just no more long term deals to UFAs. 4 years maximum. Including on players you bring in via trade. This should be a franchise wide mandate from ownership on down.
I think this is a more critical concept rather than the idea of paying your top guys top dollar and everybody else gets the scraps. It's about term you give your top players term and manage the rest

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Count me in as not really liking the idea of signing Soucy... unless they're sure he's more than a 4/5, we are essentially re-vamping the Poolman deal again.
I actually don't know how he finessed that contract after watching him play more. So weird. Guy was on pace for 2 points in 82 games and he got $10MM lmao

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I actually don't know how he finessed that contract after watching him play more. So weird. Guy was on pace for 2 points in 82 games and he got $10MM lmao
He was never gonna be a point producer, and I didn't mind him as a #6, but that's the Benning effect.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
He was never gonna be a point producer, and I didn't mind him as a #6, but that's the Benning effect.
I liked Brendan Gaunce as a 2 point 4th liner but I wasn't paying him more than league minimum

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Kerfoot isn't a C except in emergencies and wouldn't be signed as the 3C unless they lose their minds.

However, he is an interesting option. Like, if they could move Garland's $4.9 million and replace his roster spot with Kerfoot at $2.5 million and not lose a ton offensively while adding a guy with more positional flexibility and PK utility ... that's probably an upgrade in the big picture.

But the price would have to be right and you wouldn't want to go a lot higher than that $2.5-2.8 range. Of course the other thing with Kerfoot is that he's probably the most insanely wealthy player in the NHL so the $ figure might not actually mean that much to him, and you might be able to get a deal there if he really wants to come home.

Feb 19, 2018
Barbashev and Soucy I’m betting will be Canucks on day one of FA. It’s now been foreshadowed by the media like every other year.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Kerfoot isn't a C except in emergencies and wouldn't be signed as the 3C unless they lose their minds.

However, he is an interesting option. Like, if they could move Garland's $4.9 million and replace his roster spot with Kerfoot at $2.5 million and not lose a ton offensively while adding a guy with more positional flexibility and PK utility ... that's probably an upgrade in the big picture.

But the price would have to be right and you wouldn't want to go a lot higher than that $2.5-2.8 range. Of course the other thing with Kerfoot is that he's probably the most insanely wealthy player in the NHLso the $ figure might not actually mean that much to him, and you might be able to get a deal there if he really wants to come home.
What’s the story here? Is he another Mike Comrie?

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I could see them moving Martinez and trading for Hanifin to get younger and increase their window.
I could definitely see VGK do something like that. I think Pesce seems more like their target. It would be reminiscent of when St Louis went out of their way to get Faulk.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I could see them moving Martinez and trading for Hanifin to get younger and increase their window.

Yeah, this is exactly how Vegas will operate.

Clear out the 36 y/o Martinez, use his cap space to re-load with a younger impact player.

They can probably also sell high on some of their lower-roster players right now as part of that change.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Send the message if need be.. be more open to being traded, if it is a possibility take your bonus early to help a move you are good with

People want the business decisions to be made why not, it is obviously no secret they would dump him if they could

It is symbolic but may shake something loose or make a team that may want him take notice

If I was Myers I'd be having my agent check out the rules on paying back bonuses to teams you no longer play for. If you can keep the bonuses then I'd offer an immediate termination of contract with my new team. Myers gets to find a team he wants to go to, the team Vancouver traded him to gets out of the contract for free (no money, no cap hit). Vancouver gets the $5m cap recapture penalty. Just business for Myers.

Reactions: andora
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad