Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Is it September yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
She picked a player who went higher at a need position for the Canucks. There is absolutely nothing wrong with mocking Danielson to the team. Just because you disagree with it doesn't make it laughable.
I should have linked the article..but no, they linked who they thought the team would pick (Danielson), and who, in her opinion, the Canucks should pick (Cristall..who wasnt even selected in the 1st round..)..I think thats a laughable selection with 11th OA.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Thats still not circumvention because no one saves on cap at all.

its effectively exactly what happens when a player has his bonus payed and then gets traded just usually it happens on July 1.

If a team tries to pay the Bonus before July 1 to put the cap in the prior year. That would be circumvention.

But this is just trying to bring a late bonus forward. A bonus that was designed to make a trade harder due to the later date…

Another JimJohn whiff.

It wouldn’t be cap circumvention - the circumvention provisions apply to circumvention of the CBA more broadly. That includes the prohibition on including cash in a trade.

The difference between paying a bonus when it is due then trading a player and paying one early then trading a player is that the latter is being done only to avoid the prohibition on including cash in a trade. There’s no other plausible explanation for paying it early.

The circumvention provisions are discretionary and the league wouldn’t necessarily crack down, but it’s pretty clear why the league could decide to do so here.

Reactions: Hodgy and Vector

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It wouldn’t be cap circumvention - the circumvention provisions apply to circumvention of the CBA more broadly. That includes the prohibition on including cash in a trade.

The difference between paying a bonus when it is due then trading a player and paying one early then trading a player is that the latter is being done only to avoid the prohibition on including cash in a trade. There’s no other plausible explanation for paying it early.

The circumvention provisions are discretionary and the league wouldn’t necessarily crack down, but it’s pretty clear why the league could decide to do so here.

I imagine the if the Canucks had a deal worked out and informed the league they’ll be waiting until after the Sep. 1st to register it and Myers agent/NHLPA say they would like the deal to come through sooner, then I would think the NHL would allow early payment.

Reactions: pitseleh

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Tyler Motte is getting married in Whistler right now per Boeser's Instagram.

Do it Allvin. Add to our glut of wingers but at least Motte can PK and is a fan favourite

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
That rumor was not based on reality. No way Doug Wilson would have made that deal.
it probably wasn't straight up, but wilson ended up trading the 2016 1st rounder for martin jones in the same offseason. they were in a similar position as the tortorella canucks - in a playoff position by december, but failed down the stretch. i'm assuming the deal was something like vancouver's 1st (23rd?) and miller for san jose's 1st (9th).

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Tyler Motte is getting married in Whistler right now per Boeser's Instagram.

Do it Allvin. Add to our glut of wingers but at least Motte can PK and is a fan favourite
Who does he replace though? Joshua? PDG? Feel like they'd have to move a winger or two to justify Motte at anything more than 1 mil~

Reactions: arttk and ziploc

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Who does he replace though? Joshua? PDG? Feel like they'd have to move a winger or two to justify Motte at anything more than 1 mil~
Easily Motte over PDG. He basically does as much as PDG can but better. But yes, we need to move out at least 1-2 top heavy wingers

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
If it's so easy, stop talking, and write some potential trade examples that would work then.
I think our 24 1st, and one of Beau or Garland would be a pretty decent offer. Pretty much exactly what Bo was moved for.

The 1st would likely be seen as juicy from TO's perspective, as we are not a proven playoff team. It's expendable as we absolutely should be a PO team especially with Willy Ny. His extension comes when a lot of money gets cleared, and really isn't much more than our other wingers are now. Big upgrade for sure in ability, would be great with Miller, plus able to fill in at C incase of an injury.

Lots of fellow Swedes here, maybe he factors that it with his extension. Definitely worth the phone call.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Why stop there! Let get Hutton and Stetcher while we are at it! We can get the gang of underachievers back together :)
Lumping Motte in with Hutton and Stecher (who was fine in his role) is definitely very fair to Motte!

I'm not pushing for it that much but it's clear Motte isn't getting the $2M++ that he wanted and left us for. I can totally see him signing a cheap 1 year show me deal now which at that point we should seriously consider.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Making the assumption the nhl knows anything at all about this… they also could be completely fine with it happening, we have no proof otherwise.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Trade Myers to ANA for Lundestrom giving us another C and a spot opens up for Nesterenko for them. Sign Cal Foote to a show me deal

Reactions: elitepete

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
If Pearson is healthy and no other moves are made, I believe we have to run a 22 man roster on opening night to be cap compliant.

Aman, Podkolzin and Silovs most likely start in the A due to potential bonuses.

• Wow
Reactions: Play

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
If Pearson is healthy and no other moves are made, I believe we have to run a 22 man roster on opening night to be cap compliant.

Aman, Podkolzin and Silovs most likely start in the A due to potential bonuses.
21 actually. Edit I think youre right with 22

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah, this is the first signing that really means another move is coming. Either a trade or Mikheyev and/or Pearson start on LTIR.

Reactions: Vector

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
it probably wasn't straight up, but wilson ended up trading the 2016 1st rounder for martin jones in the same offseason. they were in a similar position as the tortorella canucks - in a playoff position by december, but failed down the stretch. i'm assuming the deal was something like vancouver's 1st (23rd?) and miller for san jose's 1st (9th).
One Vancouver reporter with an axe to grind and ravenous with ambition -- I think it might have been Botch but I can't remember -- said rumours were flying in Anaheim that the 9th overall was offered for Miller. No one else in either market reported anything similar or even alluded to what he'd said, so it was almost certainly bullshit.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I know this is a controversial topic, but this the deBrincat trade is exactly why drafting small wingers It’s just not worth it in the long run.

Unless the player is incredibly special.

Or surrounded by an absolutely stacked team

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
An attractive young woman can deserve a comeuppance, just as anyone can, but there always seems to be a crowd of people enjoying it a little too much.

There are definitely a lot of anti-Doerrie voices who are gleeful to see a woman fail, but personally as someone who supported her and wants to see more diversity in the game I’m just profoundly annoyed by what an immature dumbass she’s turned out to be, and how it’s probably set back women in the sport in general. She’s just played into all the worst stereotypes imaginable.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
One Vancouver reporter with an axe to grind and ravenous with ambition -- I think it might have been Botch but I can't remember -- said rumours were flying in Anaheim that the 9th overall was offered for Miller. No one else in either market reported anything similar or even alluded to what he'd said, so it was almost certainly bullshit.

I’ve maintained from the start that the evidence suggests that it was probably the 9th for a package involving both Miller and Bieksa, and probably us taking a bad contract back.

Reactions: racerjoe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad