Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Dog Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The bottom d pairing is not just an afterthought. It needs someone to anchor it - a legitimate #5 dman. Our options without Myers anchoring the pair are: Wolanin, Juulsen, Hirose and Woo. That does not inspire confidence and predictably the 14-16 minutes that pair is out there, they will get caved in at evens and have little PK utility.

Just turf Garland and reallocate to C. Doesn't have to be a bonafide 3C at this point, just depth and versatility. That's a far better use of cap space this late into free agency and the limited options available.
Maybe the "Boat Captain" has a different opinion about anchors, but Yikes, please don't say "anchor" when referring to improving the Canucks Defense.

They have 50+ years of acquiring players they thought could improve their D-Crew, only to find out they are, in fact, Anchors.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
The more I look around the league, I think the Nucks should stay as is unless a deal really cannot be turned down.

Some decent wingers and Cs are still available so unloading Garland will likely require a payment to do so or taking back a similar cap in a different position (i.e. Goodrow if viewed as a potential 3C).

Ride out Myers on the 3rd pair and flip him at the deadline.

Ride out Beau and hope he produces in the Top 6. Again, look to flip at the deadline if possible.

A winger (or two) likely still needs to be moved but will depend on Pearson and how Hoglander performs in camp.

If Pod comes flying out of the gates and deserves a spot with the big boys, it will be interesting if they still just let him simmer in the AHL (likely).

The team is not great and a potential playoff team only if all goes right. But I don't see anything on the horizon atm the moment that would substantially change that.

With actual structure, proper coaching and relative health, just see how the boys perform and hope for a Tocchet "bump".

Reactions: Nick Lang

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I like the patience shown by management here, we haven’t made ourselves prisoners of our own cap which removes the leverage other GMs have over us if we were negotiating a trade or two ( which I think we all expect is in the works )

The latter days of free agency is when you get the team friendly discounts on players needing contracts and let’s not forget the waiver wire pre-season

I know it’s a little ways off but PTOs are fun too, is this the season the Canucks finally get Peter Forsberg or Jaromir Jagr??????
I mean ....

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I could only really see the Lebanc deal going down if it’s prior to Myers’ bonus being paid. I cannot see the Canucks paying out the bonus, and then swapping out the lower salaried player for the higher one.

No way that deal makes sense post bonus, IMO.

Post-bonus, the Canucks would have paid $10.875M to gain $1.125M in cap relief. It's absurd on its face.

Reactions: Killer Orcas and MS

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
If we want to ice a respectable defensive core, Myers needs to go. I don’t really care for “he can fetch us a pick at the TDL” talk. Because if we are in that position come February, this team is absolutely f***ed anyway.

Hughes - Cole

This would be our top pairing and will be assigned top pairing roles. No need to say much.

Soucy - Hronek

Two serviceable middle pairing D. A lot to prove, essentially, could make or break our defense. This pairing gets put out for secondary duties for the top pair.

Wolanin/Hirose - Juulsen

Wild card pairing. Would love to have these guys develop into secondary shutdown D when Cole/Soucy will inevitably get 60-80 PIMs.

Soucy - Cole

Shutdown pairing, top PK unit. Will be used frequently I imagine to defend leads, provide physicality, and inspire uneventful hockey on the backend. Has the makings of an excellent pairing, on paper.

Hughes/Cole
Wolanin/Hronek
Soucy/Juulsen

Hughes/Juulsen
Cole/Hronek
Soucy/Wolanin

Hughes/Cole
Soucy/Hronek
Wolanin/Juulsen

Shutdown pairing:
Soucy/Cole
Wolanin/Juulsen
Soucy/Juulsen
Wolanin/Cole
Wolanin/Soucy etc
I imagine this will be our d core. Reluctant to admit this, but it’s respectable, on paper.
They will ad Bear when he is healthy

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I would probably just make Quinn suffer for a bit and do the Juulsen thing. Don’t put Soucy in higher leverage minutes to start. Just increase his ice time. He can play the Myers 2020 role (lots of minutes against other teams bottom six, pk + on 3rd pair), except actually be good at it.

I also just like the Wolanin - Soucy idea. Soucy can help with Wolanin’s inability to defend and Wolanin can help move the puck. They seem like they’d balance well.

Do Cole - Hronek

Sign Bear for a fully buriable amount and then have him take one of Wolanin or Juulsen’s spot when he comes back at the 40 game mark.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I’m for resigning Bear. 1 year contract at a sub 2 million rate sure
Wonder how close to 1 million he would get

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
To a 3rd pairing salary maybe..?..but I doubt it...If he has a GREAT season, I'm sure that he'll hit the open market in next years free agency.....Probably hit the jackpot.

Tyler Myers has at least a 3 year/12mil deal lined for him due to name and reputation alone. Any decent year will only make that AAV higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad