Canucks News, Rumours, & Fantasy GM | Dog Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Gear says the decision on the bonus date goes well above his pay grade citing cash flow, obviously referring to ownership. That's pretty good confirmation to me that the later date is an ownership thing and not the dumb "agent pulled one over on the Canucks" theory thrown around.

Reactions: Vector and wonton15

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Gear says the decision on the bonus date goes well above his pay grade citing cash flow, obviously referring to ownership. That's pretty good confirmation to me that the later date is an ownership thing and not the dumb "agent pulled one over on the Canucks" theory thrown around.
Aquilinis being short on money means another timely pandemic could force them to sell. I have hope!

Also this is putting the Canucks at a competitive disadvantage and it's not good.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Doerrie after she retracted her false claim said it’s a two fold benefit. Player gets a level of trade protection and the team can delay a payout until after season ticket income has arrived. And that makes a ton of sense. If your hockey ops don’t command enough respect to say no to that, which obviously the previous clowns didn’t, then you see the end result.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Doerrie after she retracted her false claim said it’s a two fold benefit. Player gets a level of trade protection and the team can delay a payout until after season ticket income has arrived. And that makes a ton of sense. If your hockey ops don’t command enough respect to say no to that, which obviously the previous clowns didn’t, then you see the end result.
Embarrassing is an understatement

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Aquilinis being short on money means another timely pandemic could force them to sell. I have hope!

Also this is putting the Canucks at a competitive disadvantage and it's not good.
Another pandemic? Man

Injury to EP or Miller and this team is bottom 10 even with stellar goaltending.

Possibly bottom 5 depending on the length.
injury to McD and Draisaitl and the Oilers is bottom ten even with stellar goaltending.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I think it being some sort of benefit to the player is overblown. It just changes the dynamic, doesn't really make it better or worse.

I definitely don't think the Canucks would have wanted to eat that entire bonus and trade him anyway so the bonus not being paid doesn't make it any extra trade protection.. it actually gives them a longer timeframe to make a deal.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
How i see next years team

Goaltending -

Demko being healthy is absolutely massive. Structure and better in zone box outs and compete should help whoever is in net especially the back up vs the tire fire scenario that Bruce let persist last year which led to Martin's melt down

Top 6 Forwards -

Pettersson Miller Kuzmenko and Boeser should collectively give us the same production as last year. Could see Pettersson and Boeser up a bit and Miller Kuz down a little to off set. Structure should allow them more opportunities to score goals that produce wins which is more important.

Losing Horvat stings but given Miller turned a corner after he left, Michayev Beauvillier getting full seasons the scoring loss shouldn't be much if anything. Bo's defense last year wasn't anything special either so just having the divorce not hanging around should help. Pettersson taking a leadership role is a positive as was his Selke level play to accompany 100pts that should start to yield dividends

Top 4 D -

Hughes i expect to be around the same, if he can get off to a better start that would be huge. Hronek for OEL should be a nice upgrade, Soucy Cole for Schenn Myers adds some stability and allows them to shelter Myers. Still have reasons to be a bit concerned how this comes together. I have little doubt Hughes Cole will be a good pair and saw off positive results. Soucy and Hronek hopefully gels quickly or that could be a big issue. Has the makings of a good pair but they both have things to prove.

Forward depth -

Garland if he's still around is a nice luxury depth scorer to have plus Hoglander Podkolzin maturing should provide decent scoring depth vs last years disappointing campaigns. Pearson is a unknown (not expecting anything) Blueger Amen Joshua Studnicka are decent 4th liners and PDG can move up here and there and looked decent last year with Miller Boeser but we dont want that again. Hopefully Raty is knocking on the door at camp

Defense depth -

Myers Wolanin Hirose Bear? Johansson Rathbone Juulsen McWard Brisebois Woo. Lots of guys who should be able to eat some limited minutes and do ok vs Myers Stillman and Burroughs getting taxed with too much last year. It really depends on the top group being able to insulate them. Will be interesting to see if Bear comes back and how Johansson Hirose Mcward look in their first full seasons as Canucks. Abby is certainly in great shape if we stay mostly healthy. Liked what i saw from Wolanin and McWard last year

Coaching -

Tocchet will give us structure which allows us to compete defensively. Get used to more dump ins than you want to see but fact is the group needs to build out from the net which was being gifted at alarming rates last year under Bruce. Foote and Gonchar plus the development coaches are really looking like a excellent complimentary group now and establishing an identity and losing the drama's would go a long way

Special Teams -

Would be shocking to see the PK nearly as bad with the additions. Even a middle the pack PK would make a huge difference. The PP will badly miss Horvat of 22/23 but Pettersson will eventually get back to some PP goals you would think especially if they have him start feeding the bumper play to Kuzmenko or Boeser if they go that way.

Bottom line is i think we ahould be the front runner in a group with Seattle Minnesota St.Louis that should be battling for 3 playoff spots behind EDM VGK LAK DALL COL unless Calgary and Winnipeg get a lot figured out within their rooms and rosters.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I think your third line would be okay to play some tougher minutes, but at this point in his career, Blueger really is where offense goes to die (for both teams). You kinda just suck away the offense Beau/Garland might have.

Garland's super power is that his ES point production seems to be linemate independent. He scored fine with Joshua and Aman last year, I would expect the same with a guy like Blueger.

Reactions: CanuckCity

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Hirose, McDonough, McWard, Sasson, Bains, Johansson, Tolopilo, Nielsen, all free agent signings with the exception of McDonough.

A lot of these guys could carve out NHL careers. It doesn’t please the prospect gurus who prefer a draft # beside their name, but quite honestly, for a team who’s lacked a bunch of picks in previous years, having a bunch of 21-23 year olds who have excelled at every level despite taking awhile to get there, is some amazing work by Allvin. Especially since these guys are close to being NHL ready, if they aren’t already.

Basically, Allvin got us 2nd/3rd round equivalent players, if that makes sense, and really replenished our depth. Kudos to him.
Don’t forget Aman last year. And he added Bloom & Raty at the deadline.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
from the previous thread:

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko
Beauvillier - Miller - Boeser
Pearson - Blueger - Garland
Di Giuseppe - Joshua - Studnicka
Hoglander, Podkolzin

Hughes - Cole
Soucy - Hronek
Wolanin - Myers
Brisebois, Juulsen

I feel like we're going to need quite a few things to break our way to be a playoff team with that roster.
I think both Hoglander and Podkolzon need to be playing in the top 9. If Pearson plays you can have him on the fourth line and he can move
Up when injuries happen. I also feel that at least one of Garland, Boeser, Beauvillier will be traded and Pearson seems like a wildcard. Myers will be gone after the bonus is paid and I believe we have enough cap to get a dman worth having but will sacrifice our first from next year. (I also think we sign Bear once he is healthy or we have room.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I have to say our offence looks a lot weaker without Horvat. Mostly because center depth and Beauvillier is still unproven in my eyes.

I would love to see Beauvillier continue to make strides and make our top 6 lethal.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
How i see next years team

Goaltending -

Demko being healthy is absolutely massive. Structure and better in zone box outs and compete should help whoever is in net especially the back up vs the tire fire scenario that Bruce let persist last year which led to Martin's melt down

Top 6 Forwards -

Pettersson Miller Kuzmenko and Boeser should collectively give us the same production as last year. Could see Pettersson and Boeser up a bit and Miller Kuz down a little to off set. Structure should allow them more opportunities to score goals that produce wins which is more important.

Losing Horvat stings but given Miller turned a corner after he left, Michayev Beauvillier getting full seasons the scoring loss shouldn't be much if anything. Bo's defense last year wasn't anything special either so just having the divorce not hanging around should help. Pettersson taking a leadership role is a positive as was his Selke level play to accompany 100pts that should start to yield dividends

Top 4 D -

Hughes i expect to be around the same, if he can get off to a better start that would be huge. Hronek for OEL should be a nice upgrade, Soucy Cole for Schenn Myers adds some stability and allows them to shelter Myers. Still have reasons to be a bit concerned how this comes together. I have little doubt Hughes Cole will be a good pair and saw off positive results. Soucy and Hronek hopefully gels quickly or that could be a big issue. Has the makings of a good pair but they both have things to prove.

Forward depth -

Garland if he's still around is a nice luxury depth scorer to have plus Hoglander Podkolzin maturing should provide decent scoring depth vs last years disappointing campaigns. Pearson is a unknown (not expecting anything) Blueger Amen Joshua Studnicka are decent 4th liners and PDG can move up here and there and looked decent last year with Miller Boeser but we dont want that again. Hopefully Raty is knocking on the door at camp

Defense depth -

Myers Wolanin Hirose Bear? Johansson Rathbone Juulsen McWard Brisebois Woo. Lots of guys who should be able to eat some limited minutes and do ok vs Myers Stillman and Burroughs getting taxed with too much last year. It really depends on the top group being able to insulate them. Will be interesting to see if Bear comes back and how Johansson Hirose Mcward look in their first full seasons as Canucks. Abby is certainly in great shape if we stay mostly healthy. Liked what i saw from Wolanin and McWard last year

Coaching -

Tocchet will give us structure which allows us to compete defensively. Get used to more dump ins than you want to see but fact is the group needs to build out from the net which was being gifted at alarming rates last year under Bruce. Foote and Gonchar plus the development coaches are really looking like a excellent complimentary group now and establishing an identity and losing the drama's would go a long way

Special Teams -

Would be shocking to see the PK nearly as bad with the additions. Even a middle the pack PK would make a huge difference. The PP will badly miss Horvat of 22/23 but Pettersson will eventually get back to some PP goals you would think especially if they have him start feeding the bumper play to Kuzmenko or Boeser if they go that way.

Bottom line is i think we ahould be the front runner in a group with Seattle Minnesota St.Louis that should be battling for 3 playoff spots behind EDM VGK LAK DALL COL unless Calgary and Winnipeg get a lot figured out within their rooms and rosters.

I actually think Winnipeg got weirdly better and is gonna surprise

• Wow
Reactions: Play

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I have to say our offence looks a lot weaker without Horvat. Mostly because center depth and Beauvillier is still unproven in my eyes.

I would love to see Beauvillier continue to make strides and make our top 6 lethal.
So u are a Canucks fan Loool

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
If we want to ice a respectable defensive core, Myers needs to go. I don’t really care for “he can fetch us a pick at the TDL” talk. Because if we are in that position come February, this team is absolutely f***ed anyway.

Hughes - Cole

This would be our top pairing and will be assigned top pairing roles. No need to say much.

Soucy - Hronek

Two serviceable middle pairing D. A lot to prove, essentially, could make or break our defense. This pairing gets put out for secondary duties for the top pair.

Wolanin/Hirose - Juulsen

Wild card pairing. Would love to have these guys develop into secondary shutdown D when Cole/Soucy will inevitably get 60-80 PIMs.

Soucy - Cole

Shutdown pairing, top PK unit. Will be used frequently I imagine to defend leads, provide physicality, and inspire uneventful hockey on the backend. Has the makings of an excellent pairing, on paper.

Hughes/Cole
Wolanin/Hronek
Soucy/Juulsen

Hughes/Juulsen
Cole/Hronek
Soucy/Wolanin

Hughes/Cole
Soucy/Hronek
Wolanin/Juulsen

Shutdown pairing:
Soucy/Cole
Wolanin/Juulsen
Soucy/Juulsen
Wolanin/Cole
Wolanin/Soucy etc
I imagine this will be our d core. Reluctant to admit this, but it’s respectable, on paper.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
If we want to ice a respectable defensive core, Myers needs to go. I don’t really care for “he can fetch us a pick at the TDL” talk. Because if we are in that position come February, this team is absolutely f***ed anyway.

Hughes - Cole

This would be our top pairing and will be assigned top pairing roles. No need to say much.

Soucy - Hronek

Two serviceable middle pairing D. A lot to prove, essentially, could make or break our defense. This pairing gets put out for secondary duties for the top pair.

Wolanin/Hirose - Juulsen

Wild card pairing. Would love to have these guys develop into secondary shutdown D when Cole/Soucy will inevitably get 60-80 PIMs.

Soucy - Cole

Shutdown pairing, top PK unit. Will be used frequently I imagine to defend leads, provide physicality, and inspire uneventful hockey on the backend. Has the makings of an excellent pairing, on paper.

Hughes/Cole
Wolanin/Hronek
Soucy/Juulsen

Hughes/Juulsen
Cole/Hronek
Soucy/Wolanin

Hughes/Cole
Soucy/Hronek
Wolanin/Juulsen

Shutdown pairing:
Soucy/Cole
Wolanin/Juulsen
Soucy/Juulsen
Wolanin/Cole
Wolanin/Soucy etc
I imagine this will be our d core. Reluctant to admit this, but it’s respectable, on paper.
Provided Myers moves and we don’t get another defenceman in return, I think Woo makes the jump. Could Woo and Rathbone be the 3rd pairing? Woo and Wolanin? Probably, Juulsen or Hirose are the call ups. Unfortunately, both Wolanin and Juulsen have track records as being injury prone

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
The bottom d pairing is not just an afterthought. It needs someone to anchor it - a legitimate #5 dman. Our options without Myers anchoring the pair are: Wolanin, Juulsen, Hirose and Woo. That does not inspire confidence and predictably the 14-16 minutes that pair is out there, they will get caved in at evens and have little PK utility.

Just turf Garland and reallocate to C. Doesn't have to be a bonafide 3C at this point, just depth and versatility. That's a far better use of cap space this late into free agency and the limited options available.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The bottom d pairing is not just an afterthought. It needs someone to anchor it - a legitimate #5 dman. Our options without Myers anchoring the pair are: Wolanin, Juulsen, Hirose and Woo. That does not inspire confidence and predictably the 14-16 minutes that pair is out there, they will get caved in at evens and have little PK utility.

Just turf Garland and reallocate to C. Doesn't have to be a bonafide 3C at this point, just depth and versatility. That's a far better use of cap space this late into free agency and the limited options available.

Soucy is a great #5 that can anchor a bottom pair. 3 years gives us time to find another top 4 dman to eventually get Soucy in a more comfortable position in a couple years.

Agreed would use the CAP from Boeser and Garland and Beauvillier to get more C depth and a top 4 dman. Personally I think a top4 LD is more important than a 3C.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Soucy is a great #5 that can anchor a bottom pair. 3 years gives us time to find another top 4 dman to eventually get Soucy in a more comfortable position in a couple years.

Agreed would use the CAP from Boeser and Garland and Beauvillier to get more C depth and a top 4 dman. Personally I think a top4 LD is more important than a 3C.
Then, as you say, you're still left with a hole at 4D. Tough to find one in free agency at this late date and teams are loathe to trade d for w in a hockey trade especially if it's a 3W for a 4LD, which doesn't make sense value-wise.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I like the patience shown by management here, we haven’t made ourselves prisoners of our own cap which removes the leverage other GMs have over us if we were negotiating a trade or two ( which I think we all expect is in the works )

The latter days of free agency is when you get the team friendly discounts on players needing contracts and let’s not forget the waiver wire pre-season

I know it’s a little ways off but PTOs are fun too, is this the season the Canucks finally get Peter Forsberg or Jaromir Jagr??????

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like the patience shown by management here, we haven’t made ourselves prisoners of our own cap which removes the leverage other GMs have over us if we were negotiating a trade or two ( which I think we all expect is in the works )

The latter days of free agency is when you get the team friendly discounts on players needing contracts and let’s not forget the waiver wire pre-season

I know it’s a little ways off but PTOs are fun too, is this the season the Canucks finally get Peter Forsberg or Jaromir Jagr??????

It's not patience, they've just basically spent all of their money. If Pearson lands on LTIR they'll have a small amount of breathing room, but they're 2nd in the NHL in $ spent more on salaries (87 million+) and contracts (47/50) so they're pretty much right against it, as usual.

It probably just feels like they've been more patient but the truth is they just started shopping at the deadline so it's been stretched out.

Reactions: Hodgy

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver

Honestly it’s not even them being patient, it’s just nice to not have Benning handing out terrible contracts on free agents

Reactions: andora
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad