Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Heh, he was on my same list of potential depth signings as Dakota Joshua two offseasons ago.
who's on it this year?

I like Anthony Richard in BOS. Think he could be a good depth winger who has some Trevor Moore in his game especilly if he moves to wing full time

Texier if Columbus doesn't re sign or qualify would be an interesting signing. He has a lot of speed and power and underrated scoring potential. If he could get his off ice shit together and have some consistency he could break out a bit. He can be a nasty power forward at times

Amadio in Vegas is a player who has some stop gap or more top6 scoring potential who could be interesting if cheap....Sherwood as you guys mentioned maybe also although he kinda disappeared down the stretch so im not that high on him but at 800k ish that would be good we do need a depth RW that skates better than Karlsson if JL is in Abby

Although i doubt they move off them Cody Glass and Philip Tomasino would be good buy low candidates if we could get them out of Nashville and Barrett Hayton as well from Utah but im certain they give him a shott at least to up his stock vs selling after last years disaster season

Arvidsson is a guy a 1yr stop gap deal could be interesting as well to bridge to Letterkenny

Reactions: vancityluongo

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
That's a good call. He might get more though. I could see a lot of interest from teams.

Yeah, I think the term is right but I have no idea what his value will be. No real track record, older, an average skater, didn’t PK much but provides secondary 5v5 scoring and a bunch of hits. He’ll have a lot of interest.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
who's on it this year?

I like Anthony Richard in BOS. Think he could be a good depth winger who has some Trevor Moore in his game especilly if he moves to wing full time

Texier if Columbus doesn't re sign or qualify would be an interesting signing. He has a lot of speed and power and underrated scoring potential. If he could get his off ice shit together and have some consistency he could break out a bit. He can be a nasty power forward at times

Amadio in Vegas is a player who has some stop gap or more top6 scoring potential who could be interesting if cheap....Sherwood as you guys mentioned maybe also although he kinda disappeared down the stretch so im not that high on him but at 800k ish that would be good we do need a depth RW that skates better than Karlsson if JL is in Abby

Although i doubt they move off them Cody Glass and Philip Tomasino would be good buy low candidates if we could get them out of Nashville and Barrett Hayton as well from Utah but im certain they give him a shott at least to up his stock vs selling after last years disaster season

Arvidsson is a guy a 1yr stop gap deal could be interesting as well to bridge to Letterkenny

I haven't done a full look through the UFA listings but one guy who would be on my list is Riley Tufte who is a Group VI UFA from Colorado. Was a 1st round pick a bunch of years ago for Dallas and basically busted but he finally put his 6'6 size and plus skating together last year to lead an AHL team in scoring and he has a mean streak and hits like a truck. I think he'll play on a 4th line next year for some NHL team.

Anthony Richard is a good player, too. Agreed there.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Not sure if it is a case of the Avs just steamrolling the Jets, or if they are actually good players, but there a some UFA-to-be on that roster that looks appealing. Walker seems like a slightly poorer-man's version of Hronek. If Hronek's ask doesn't come down significantly, I wouldn't mind trading him and signing Walker to a deal (one that is going to be much cheaper than Hronek's ask). This way we still have a competent top 4 RHD to play with Hughes and have enough space to add Tanev.

2 other depth players on the Avs that looks like good pieces, depending on the cost, are Trenin and Duhaime. Both fairly big and play physical, Trenin also PK for the Avs as well. If they come in cheap, that would solve some of the size issues we have up front.

Avs looks to be pretty tight to the cap going into the summer, and they have Mittlestadt to sign. And if Landeskog does make it back, that's another $7m they need to open up somewhere. They are probably not able to extend most of their UFAs.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I know you're not asking me but absolutely the bolded.
I don't know. I'd be hesitant getting rid of Hronek. It's fairly obvious he's playing injured, and when he wasn't, he formed the greatest pairing in the league with Quinn.

How many guys that you could realistically target with the 11th plus would be available who can do that?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't know. I'd be hesitant getting rid of Hronek. It's fairly obvious he's playing injured, and when he wasn't, he formed the greatest pairing in the league with Quinn.

How many guys that you could realistically target with the 11th plus would be available who can do that?

I meant when presented with the two options, that's the only one that makes sense. I'm not on a the "Trade Hronek" train at all and I think his cap hit will actually come in quite a bit lower than many were first predicting.

Who's available is the other tricky part. First name that jumps out to me is Travis Sanheim but there's a good chance someone we're unaware of shakes loose.

Reactions: vancityluongo

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I mean if they have someone who they really want around there I don’t mind it. There’s a lot of really good defenseman the first 15 picks that could make the jump within a year or two (Buium is one of the older players in the draft and had a dominant college season, Dickinson, Yakemchuk) And some really good two way centers like Hage and Catton (my favourite player from this draft).

I do think if they were to trade Hronek, it would be for a similar aged player to play in the top 6 or a combination of picks to use and acquire other options. That seems more likely and more logical.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Hronek is the only legitimate top 4d to play with Hughes since Tanev.

I like the idea of trading Hronek but only if we already have acquisitions lined up for a #2/3 RD and a #4 RD.

I think Hronek's role on Hughes' pair was replaceable by any legitimate ~#3d and he's not worth the ~7.5M or whatever it'll be, but we can't under any circumstance go back to Hughes having waiver bait garbage on his pairing even if it means overpaying Hronek and we already have a hole at 2rd that we need to fill.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i don't like any of the (plausible) options for hronek. trading him is questionable but so is giving him a 7 or 8 year deal. if he could be signed for like 24m/3yrs i'd be all for it but that doesn't seem like it's in the cards

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
chris tanev is a phenomenal defenseman but he's 34 years old with a lot of heavy miles. he's a really nice potential ian cole replacement that happens to play the right side to match with quinn, but calling him a replacement for hronek - a 25 year old who is set to play on our top pair for the next 7-8 years - feels like a stretch.

my "half price" buy low bottom pair target - and hopefully he tanks his value in these next couple weeks - is vinny desharnais. i think he could be deployed like zadarov but at sub $2m, and he's a rh shot. if we can ditch myers to keep zads and go for a behemoth backend, even better:

hughes - hronek
soucy - tanev
zadarov - desharnais

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
To take a guy who will likely be ready in 4 or 5 years and outside of this team's prime? Or flip the 11th for something else?
Really depends on the +.

Not sure of his status, but Samuelsson would be a good target in a deal. I believe he can play the right side.

Brining Hronek in would push him down to the 3rd pairing which likely doesn't make since given he makes $4M+.

If not Samuelsson, Buffalo is loaded with young forwards that Van could target.

If Samuelsson is acquired, #11 could be used to acquire a forward.

If a young forward is acquired, #11 could be used to acquire a Top 4 dman.

To me, it just provides flexibility and options, let alone the cap space that comes with it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Getting way ahead of things at the moment, but i've noticed a lot of Vegas fans chatter that Shea Theodore might very well hit the block. With the big Hanifin extension, plus cheaper guys pushing from below, Pietrangelo not going anywhere...sounds like the thinking is that RHD spot is somewhere they might look to shave some salary to keep guys like Marchessault and fit all their LTIR specials under the cap.

So i was thinking a little bit laterally here...maybe you talk to Vegas and find out what sort of pieces they might covet in return (likely cheap NHLers and maybe some futures to refill the tank?) Then try to move Hronek with his potentially goofy contract demands for that sort of package. Then turn around and flip that package (potentially+) to Vegas for Shea Theodore.

He's only got the 1-year left to UFA. But i'd do this under the expectation that the Langley kid would be happy to sign on long-term for the sort of money Hronek is looking for. And i'd be a lot happier paying Theodore that premium than Hronek. The other advantage is...he's at just $5.2M next year, which would allow us to hopefully bring back an extra one of our UFAs and hope the cap rising allows us to start to sort things out later.

Re-sign Zadorov, go find a stopgap like Tanev to play with Hughes, since i don't see Theodore as a great fit there, but more of a guy to completely anchor an ice-tilting 2nd pairing. And voila...

Hughes-Tanev
Zadorov-Theodore
Soucy-XXX

That's a good looking blueline imo. The ability to have one of Hughes/Theodore on the ice most of the game tilting the ice our way is just potentially huge. The Powerplay is a bit trickier to sort out, since you'd want Theodore out there as well as Hughes but probably not together. But i think that falls more under the heading of "good problems to have".

Just spitballing, as there's hopefully still a lot of hockey to be played this year. But it's something that caught my eye on a main board thread. Really jumped out at me because i adore Theodore. Far from a perfect player or shutdown D...but he's an absolute difference-maker that i'd be a lot happier to pay out big for...compared to Hronek who feels more complementary or secondary.

Anyway...thoughts?

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Getting way ahead of things at the moment, but i've noticed a lot of Vegas fans chatter that Shea Theodore might very well hit the block. With the big Hanifin extension, plus cheaper guys pushing from below, Pietrangelo not going anywhere...sounds like the thinking is that RHD spot is somewhere they might look to shave some salary to keep guys like Marchessault and fit all their LTIR specials under the cap.

So i was thinking a little bit laterally here...maybe you talk to Vegas and find out what sort of pieces they might covet in return (likely cheap NHLers and maybe some futures to refill the tank?) Then try to move Hronek with his potentially goofy contract demands for that sort of package. Then turn around and flip that package (potentially+) to Vegas for Shea Theodore.

He's only got the 1-year left to UFA. But i'd do this under the expectation that the Langley kid would be happy to sign on long-term for the sort of money Hronek is looking for. And i'd be a lot happier paying Theodore that premium than Hronek. The other advantage is...he's at just $5.2M next year, which would allow us to hopefully bring back an extra one of our UFAs and hope the cap rising allows us to start to sort things out later.

Re-sign Zadorov, go find a stopgap like Tanev to play with Hughes, since i don't see Theodore as a great fit there, but more of a guy to completely anchor an ice-tilting 2nd pairing. And voila...

Hughes-Tanev
Zadorov-Theodore
Soucy-XXX

That's a good looking blueline imo. The ability to have one of Hughes/Theodore on the ice most of the game tilting the ice our way is just potentially huge. The Powerplay is a bit trickier to sort out, since you'd want Theodore out there as well as Hughes but probably not together. But i think that falls more under the heading of "good problems to have".

Just spitballing, as there's hopefully still a lot of hockey to be played this year. But it's something that caught my eye on a main board thread. Really jumped out at me because i adore Theodore. Far from a perfect player or shutdown D...but he's an absolute difference-maker that i'd be a lot happier to pay out big for...compared to Hronek who feels more complementary or secondary.

Anyway...thoughts?
Theodore is not a RHD, he does play the right side but he isn't right-handed

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Theodore is not a RHD, he does play the right side but he isn't right-handed

He's a RHD. He's not a RHS. He's firmly a RHD if he has any say in the matter and it's where he plays best. So like Ehrhoff...i'd just firmly call him a RHD. Because that's where he likes to play. But it's goofy semantics either way.

Point is...call him a RD instead. That's where he'd play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad