Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yes but I don't see why that matters at all relative to current performance. You have him on a lower cap hit for literally three months max. You literally just signed him declaring you think he's an $11.6M player.

Because he literally makes 8.x million this season and he is performing up that that level of pay.

What part of he doesn’t make 11.6M yet do you not understand?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Because he literally makes 8.x million this season and he is performing up that that level of pay.

What part of he doesn’t make 11.6M yet do you not understand?

I guess I just don't care, he's basically an $11.6M player now in my mind because that's what you're paying him the next 8 years.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I guess I just don't care, he's basically an $11.6M player now in my mind because that's what you're paying him the next 8 years.

And the moment that contract kicks in we will all evaluate him through that 11.6M lens.
Right now he is earning what he is being paid.

Once that contract kicks in hell yeah we are expecting 100pt season and PPG playoffs performance.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Reminder that this argument didn't start because someone said he was slumping, it started because a guy called Pettersson a "tire fire for more than half the season".

I almost wish that were true instead of extremely wrong because if it were true it would mean Pettersson is a McDavid level talent to be able to put up the season that he did while only trying for less than half a season and being a tire fire for the rest.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I have been extremely critical of his play all season. He’s soft in puck battles and falls over constantly, his shot selection and puck management have been horrendous at times, his demeanour and body language are infuriating. But if you want to excuse all of that along with awful production against good teams because you’re a hockey savant or something, I’m not going to change your mind.
No, I'm not going to change my mind when someone presents such poor and unconvincing arguments. I mean, the "demeanour" argument is really bad.

At least you're trying some kind of critique beyond boxscore stats, finally.

And like I said before, yes, I agree his play has waned at times. Yes, I am willing to forgive a lot of individual mistakes when the overall package is a fringe top-10 center.

Pettersson has been bad offensively and had really struggled to generate offense over the last couple of months. It’s very obvious and plain to see, and the critique isn’t just stat watching. This isn’t a case where Pettersson has been snake bitten or something.

Has he been “bad” defensively or in all aspects of the game? No. But when you get paid like 8 million dollars a year and just signed a 100 million dollar contract you are expected to be good all around.

And this isn’t the first time Pettersson has struggled for a long period of time offensively. It happened a couple of years ago too.

With all that said I’m confident he will turn it around, but he has proven to be a bit streaky, and dismissing any criticism as stat watching is silly imo.
Dismissing the criticism as purely boxscore stat watching is 100% legitimate when the critiques are literally only references to boxscore stats.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
It's been 30 years since Linden, McLean and Bure took us to the cup finals. Today, 30 years later, both the Canucks and Rangers are top-tier teams. We played the Rags twice this season. In the first game we dominated the Rangers but the refs handed the Rags a win in overtime. I am still pissed at the officiating in that game. In the second game we again dominated the Rags, but without the help of the refs we won 6-3.

I will never forget the vibe in Vancouver in the spring of 1994. For me, it was the greatest time ever to be a Canucks' fan. It was a great time to be alive. We had a team to be truly proud of.

I will be rooting for the Rags to come out of the East in the hope that an epic rematch takes place, and order is restored to the Universe.
As long as we can avoid Miller scoring two and Pod hitting the post with plenty of net in the third. I couldn’t handle losing a game 7 3-2 again.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
No, I'm not going to change my mind when someone presents such poor and unconvincing arguments. I mean, the "demeanour" argument is really bad.

At least you're trying some kind of critique beyond boxscore stats, finally.

And like I said before, yes, I agree his play has waned at times. Yes, I am willing to forgive a lot of individual mistakes when the overall package is a fringe top-10 center.

Dismissing the criticism as purely boxscore stat watching is 100% legitimate when the critiques are literally only references to boxscore stats.
Try playing high level sports with someone that acts like a little piss baby, let me know how it goes.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Try playing high level sports with someone that acts like a little piss baby, let me know how it goes.
Weird comment considering the hockey player in your username is notorious for being pissy since junior. I mean where were you last season when JT was quitting on plays, refusing to play defense, childishly screaming f bombs so loud you could hear through TV’s, literally walking to the bench mid shift because he was so angry he couldn’t continue playing his shift, and was screaming at goalies?

If we’re going to make note of players “body language” and use it as some sort of marker against them, at least get it right.

Last edited:

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Weird comment considering the hockey player in your username is notorious for being pissy since junior. I mean where were you last season when JT was quitting on plays, refusing to play defense, childishly screaming f bombs so loud you could hear through TV’s, literally walking to the bench mid shift because he was so angry he couldn’t continue playing his shift, and was screaming at goalies?

If we’re going to make note of players “body language” and use it as some sort of marker against them, at least get it right.
I was criticizing him as well, no one is above reproach.

This will probably shock you, but I also think Pettersson is a world-class player; however, he’s been poor too often this year and the only real defence so far has been previous years’ stats, “responsible defensively”, and that he either hasn’t been pissy (zero evidence) or that attitude doesn’t matter (obviously wrong). You’re allowed to like a player and admit they need to play better.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
It's far to difficult to have a conversation with people who are so emotionally invested in to a player that they refuse to criticize his play.

I can only offer my position on the convo. At 11.6M I want a player who can take over a game routinely. Is that to much to ask? At that salary you should as a fan, owner or team mate expect excellence consistently.

EP does not give ANYBODY that feeling. Where he's on the ice and we're one goal down and you can feel his determination to tie it up or win a game. He is simply not a gamebreaker. Kane, Toews, Bergeron, Sid, Ovi, McD, Drai, Matthews, Mack, Hughes, Makar, Iginla..They ALL had that leadership skill.

At 11.6 you cannot be a passenger any longer.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
It's been 30 years since Linden, McLean and Bure took us to the cup finals. Today, 30 years later, both the Canucks and Rangers are top-tier teams. We played the Rags twice this season. In the first game we dominated the Rangers but the refs handed the Rags a win in overtime. I am still pissed at the officiating in that game. In the second game we again dominated the Rags, but without the help of the refs we won 6-3.

I will never forget the vibe in Vancouver in the spring of 1994. For me, it was the greatest time ever to be a Canucks' fan. It was a great time to be alive. We had a team to be truly proud of.

I will be rooting for the Rags to come out of the East in the hope that an epic rematch takes place, and order is restored to the Universe.

You are definitely right. Imo this was the most exciting time ever to be a Canucks fan. The 8th seed Vancouver Canucks upset the 1st seed Calgary Flames in game 7 Double overtime "See my avatar". It was the beginning of a magical run where a great handful of games went into overtime and you were left clinging to your seat. So many fond memories, The save, Bure Ot winner, Adams Ot winners, the famous you know he'll play quote, Linden's game 7 two goal game,
Lafayette's post in the dying minutes :( . The whole run was magical and the Canucks were so close to beating a stacked team full of all stars and hall of famers. Linden, McLean and Bure were amazing in the playoffs of 94. 30 years later I am still clinging to those moments, just incredible.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I have been extremely critical of his play all season. He’s soft in puck battles and falls over constantly, his shot selection and puck management have been horrendous at times, his demeanour and body language are infuriating. But if you want to excuse all of that along with awful production against good teams because you’re a hockey savant or something, I’m not going to change your mind.
Then you are a blind hater. He was on like a 140 point pace up till the all star break. Critiquing his play because you don’t like it stylistically is some next level entitle bullshit.
dont pretend you are some ex nhler. We see players play against Draisaitl and he is the poster child of playing like a pissy little baby and he is still respected around the league.

This is the same kind of BS we saw when the twins were around. Oh they put up points but they dont do it playing the way I want them to.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Then you are a blind hater. He was on like a 140 point pace up till the all star break. Critiquing his play because you don’t like it stylistically is some next level entitle bullshit.

dont pretend you are some ex nhler. We see players play against Draisaitl and he is the poster child of playing like a pissy little baby and he is still respected around the league.

This is the same kind of BS we saw when the twins were around. Oh they put up points but they dont do it playing the way I want them to.
And he is constantly criticized for it by people who can remove the emotional attachment from the team and players. You seem to be unable to do that. Youre v emotional right now.

What do you like so much about his current play that he is above criticism?

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Most elite athletes are sore losers, it comes with the territory and it's one of the reasons for the saying that winning cures everything.

As far as attitude goes the sulkers aren't remotely the most annoying ones as long as they're still trying, it's the loudmouth whiners, complainers and glass house throwing stones blamers that you hate at that level. And slackers.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Most elite athletes are sore losers, it comes with the territory and it's one of the reasons for the saying that winning cures everything.

As far as attitude goes the sulkers aren't remotely the most annoying ones as long as they're still trying, it's the loudmouth whiners, complainers and glass house throwing stones blamers that you hate at that level. And slackers.
Yes I played much higher level soccer than hockey and the attitude you would get from some players and their parents ruined it for me. You have to be exceptionally resilient (or talented) to make it.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yes I played much higher level soccer than hockey and the attitude you would get from some players and their parents ruined it for me. You have to be exceptionally resilient (or talented) to make it.
yeah your level of hockey is not that high if there are parents yelling in the stand.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
You are definitely right. Imo this was the most exciting time ever to be a Canucks fan. The 8th seed Vancouver Canucks upset the 1st seed Calgary Flames in game 7 Double overtime "See my avatar". It was the beginning of a magical run where a great handful of games went into overtime and you were left clinging to your seat. So many fond memories, The save, Bure Ot winner, Adams Ot winners, the famous you know he'll play quote, Linden's game 7 two goal game,
Lafayette's post in the dying minutes :( . The whole run was magical and the Canucks were so close to beating a stacked team full of all stars and hall of famers. Linden, McLean and Bure were amazing in the playoffs of 94. 30 years later I am still clinging to those moments, just incredible.
It was the greatest spring of my life.

I was a commercial diver and contracted out to a fish farm on an island in the Broughton Archipelago. We stayed in a work camp and every day after work I caught rockfish and Dungeness crab and washed it down with beer at dinner time and watched the games. We got only one channel on the TV but thankfully it was the CBC and the picture wasn't too bad.

When my 8-day shift would end I'd drive back down-island heading home to Port Coquitlam where my girlfriend was waiting for me and for the load of Dungeness crab she insisted I bring home. I remember getting off the ferry at Horseshoe Bay and I was at the corner of Hastings and Highway 1 right near the PNE and the Pacific Coliseum. We had just clinched the conference. The game had just ended and the corner of Hastings and Highway 1 was insane. No one gave a shit about the traffic lights. It was just a huge celebration. People blocking traffic, girls hanging out car windows. I was high as a kite and totally sober.

Game 7 against the Rangers was a total boondoggle though. It was shift end again and the weather was bad so the crew boat was late picking us up. We didn't want to travel back down-island and miss the game. We just wanted to get to the bar in Port McNeil and watch the game and then grab a room for the night after the game was over. We missed the first period and a half but we finally made it to the bar. Then things went from bad to worse. The projector screen would heat up and shut down about every 5 minutes so we'd then have to all crowd around the single little TV over the bar. Then maybe 10 minutes later the projector TV would kick back in and we'd move back to general seating and watch the game on the big screen. Five minutes later the projector conks out again and we're back to the little TV. It was the worst possible ending to the magical run for the Stanley Cup.

It was all so good and all so promising... until it wasn't.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
yeah your level of hockey is not that high if there are parents yelling in the stand.
Ya because parents are never involved at the junior and NHL level. Cough Cody Hodgson cough.

Also mods, this poster is constantly taking personal shots at me and whenever I reply my posts get deleted. Can I get an explanation pls? Thnx.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

My criticism is based on my viewing of Pettersson. I've watched basically every game this season, and have seen probably 95% of Petterrson's career games. Is anyone purely criticizing Pettersson based on just stats and not their viewings?

I'm actually surprised you are rejecting (I thikn) the notion that he's been bad offensively (relatively speaking, of course) since around the trade deadline. Am I missing something?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Ya because parents are never involved at the junior and NHL level. Cough Cody Hodgson cough.

Also mods, this poster is constantly taking personal shots at me and whenever I reply my posts get deleted. Can I get an explanation pls? Thnx.
yes because we hear about professional players complaining parents heckling them during a NHL/AHL/ECHL/NCAA games all the time and no junior is not really that high level of hockey. I think the "junior" naming is very self explanatory.

the problem with Hodgson was his dad calling Gillis asking for more ice. care to elaborate how that translates to your experience playing high level hockey? were you a f***ing GM or a coach for a pro team or something? oh wait you said "playing" so probably not.

you are the one talking about your high level of hockey and I am simply pointing out the apparent holes. good job whining to the mods because you got exposed, lol.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
My criticism is based on my viewing of Pettersson. I've watched basically every game this season, and have seen probably 95% of Petterrson's career games. Is anyone purely criticizing Pettersson based on just stats and not their viewings?

I'm actually surprised you are rejecting (I thikn) the notion that he's been bad offensively (relatively speaking, of course) since around the trade deadline. Am I missing something?
RE the bolded: Yes. Literally yes. I asked someone to critique Pettersson's play without reference to points, and he literally parroted points and plus/minus back to me. Incredible. Most people arguing against Petey in this thread are using pure point production as their primary or only evidence.

There is nuance in argument. I'm not saying that Petey's play has not declined at times. In fact, I literally said it has. I literally am not rejecting this notion. I agree with parts of it.

My point is that the main arguments against Petey are incredibly simplistic, basic, and dumb. They almost entirely point to point production exclusively. My argument is that most people's evaluation of a player is 1:1 correlated with point production, and that type of evaluation should not be taken seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad