Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
cam charron was throwing shade on the signing from day one and it's hard to think of anyone with a more informed opinion about mikheyev specifically
When the guy who worked for the Leafs is publicly saying that....yeah.

don't disagree, but the premise would be to lock suter up asap so he does still continue to provide surplus past next year, vs waiting for him to play a full season on the top line and then price himself out of being retained here, or getting a contract where he certainly isn't providing surplus.

absolutely, taking another team's "mikheyev" is how organizations hollow out. but when there's a strong fit, sometimes you should make a bet on the "hyman" (just examples, not saying suter is on either end)
I mean, I would re-sign Suter if the cap hit was very friendly. Will it be? Would he take a Jarnkrok deal ($2M x 3-4 years)? Then I would lock that in. But if the AAV is $3M+, approaching $4M, then I don't really think you're getting surplus value on that.

Reactions: vancityluongo

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Yep. Expecting Mik to be a top-six player was always going to be a disappointment. He's the kind of guy you bring in and pay to be a 3rd liner.

Yup. Watching the Leafs, you could see guys like Hyman and Bunting had talent. They can stickhandle, deke and get to the front of the net and anticipate where the puck will be for those greasy goals. Those are players to take chances on.

Guys like Kasperi Kapanen or Ilya Mikheyev were just straight-lined skaters with no offensive vision. Both guys had ample opportunities with the Leafs but it was evident they both lacked any capability to handle a puck for a sustained period.

I think Allvin and JR were overwhelmed by the lack of team speed and awful PK and rushed to address this with a faster straight lined player who could kill penalties.

Reactions: Bourne Endeavor

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I dislike the guy but would the Pens do a Smith for Mikheyev swap?

Salaries are close but Smith only has one year left.

Hopefully Dubas likes Mikheyev from his time in TO.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Yup. Watching the Leafs, you could see guys like Hyman and Bunting had talent. They can stickhandle, deke and get to the front of the net and anticipate where the puck will be for those greasy goals. Those are players to take chances on.

Guys like Kasperi Kapanen or Ilya Mikheyev were just straight-lined skaters with no offensive vision. Both guys had ample opportunities with the Leafs but it was evident they both lacked any capability to handle a puck for a sustained period.

I think Allvin and JR were overwhelmed by the lack of team speed and awful PK and rushed to address this with a faster straight lined player who could kill penalties.

no one will ever convince me that mikheyev and kuzmenko were NOT a package deal

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
cam charron called mikheyev a terrible signing and he worked for the leafs when they had the opportunity to resign him and was hired by pittsburgh basically instantly when dubas joined as president. i doubt they have any interest

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Facts are that the players made available every year are rarely the ones teams think "we need to keep this guy." And the UFAs available are usually because the team they were on said "were not paying you that much and for that long"

Mikhayev if he built or sustained what he had done in TO would have been a decent acquisition to make us a faster team and better defensively. Torn ACL in the first month of his tenure pretty much drove a nail into this ever working out favourably.

Sucks that his doctor took the ligaments from his wrists and hands to rebuild his knee. :sarcasm:

He's broken it wasn't a complete pro scouting fail this is not nearly the same player of 2022 and maybe that was a bad gamble even given his 2yrs prior but it could have worked in some fashion if he was even a good 3rd liner which at this stage isn't even a spot he works.

Gonna be really interesting how they address this going forward. I think we just buy him out likely

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If this was true they'd have done it already.

Unfortunately, I don't think they actually want to move Mikheyev, which is part of the problem. I hope they've come to realize it has to be done even if that means giving up an asset. We simply don't have the cap space to improve our scoring depth when an offensive black hole is eating nearly 5M of it. At least not if we're also bringing back Joshua, Zadorov and maybe Hronek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad