Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Willie Desjardins as Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
This guys awesome, cant wait to watch a game this year and find out why they call him whiteboard willie

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Supposedly most of the young new wave guys are very chummy with their players. It comes with the new 'communication and relationship' mode of the modern player.

Yup. It's a different type of era in hockey regarding coaches. Being tough, strict and stern isn't as effective anymore IMO. Obviously, there's a time to be those things, but you mostly have to be understanding of the players now, to build that relationship with them. The days of Iron Mike Keenan and such are behind us.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Seen on botch's twitter page he has not had many good things to say about sestito, botchford doesnt think he makes the opening night roster.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seen on botch's twitter page he has not had many good things to say about sestito, botchford doesnt think he makes the opening night roster.

With the things Willie D apparently said to Sestito about "pointless fights", it certainly doesn't sound like carrying a big heavyweight for the staged fights and stuff is a part of his coaching philosophy.

And as far the roster goes...if Willie D isn't dead set on having that heavyweight on the roster, there are better actually hockey players to keep around on the roster.

I don't mind that mentality one bit if that's the way Willie wants to go with his roster.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Does anyone?

Guys like him are never really starters they just get a lot more games than people think because of the NHL plagues most NHL teams go through. He'll be the 13/14th forward again and get more games than people expect based on injuries just like he did last year. Ideally he's only trotted out against goon laden tank teams like Calgary.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
With the things Willie D apparently said to Sestito about "pointless fights", it certainly doesn't sound like carrying a big heavyweight for the staged fights and stuff is a part of his coaching philosophy.

While I tend to agree that a strict goon isn't on the coaches "must have" list the whole fighting in camp thing is really unnecessary anyways. Everyone knows who can fight and who can't. There is simply no need to even put that part of your game on display in camp. Especially when the injury risk is considered.

But yeah, Sestito isn't very good.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Really interesting article on TSN about the type of team we'll see from WD. The title indicates the article is about the bottom six, but it has some details about the way WD coaches. Some excerpts:

Sounds like fun.

Good read. The following made me chuckle though.

Desjardins likes his teams to play up to a high level of compete, which includes dictating the pace of the game and determining the change in tempo.

Is there any coach out there that *doesn't* want his team to have a high compete level? Really?

It's the same thing for pitchers in baseball. STRENGTHS: Loves to win.

...awesome. As opposed to all those *other* pitchers out there who hate to win.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

Is there any coach out there that *doesn't* want his team to have a high compete level? Really?

It made me chuckle too, but not in a good way. He's a terrible writer. I hope he's better at play-by-play.

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005

Using the phrase "play up to a high level of compete" should get you instantly cast out of the internet writers union.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

And every GM preaches "character" and the fans lap it up "We don't want your player, OUR GM only wants character guys". There are 30 teams built only on character guys :laugh:

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
And every GM preaches "character" and the fans lap it up "We don't want your player, OUR GM only wants character guys". There are 30 teams built only on character guys :laugh:

except toronto, lol

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Yeah, he's a bad writer, but he's obviously watched a fair amount of Desjardins' coaching with Texas, given that he covered the AHL with the Marlies last year (WD's Stars beat the Marlies in the playoffs).

Really seems like there will be an emphasis on managing players' fatigue levels this year, something we used to see with the old AV Canucks. As I recall that used to result in a lot of late-game points from the still-fresh Sedins.

Overall it sounds like a fluid sort of approach that requires the coach to have a good feel for where his players are at within the game, and at an extremely basic level it makes sense. If your top guys are tired, maybe they don't go out for that offensive zone start like they normally would, instead resting in favour of a more energized line. That line, though maybe not scoring, won't give up the momentum, and in the meantime the top guys get their energy back and re-enter the game while there is still momentum at their backs, and, now rested, they can have a more effective shift.

That's my read on it. Don't know if it's accurate. If it is, it is different from how many coaches run their bench, cliches aside. And once again, completely the opposite of how Torts went about his business.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, he's a bad writer, but he's obviously watched a fair amount of Desjardins' coaching with Texas, given that he covered the AHL with the Marlies last year (WD's Stars beat the Marlies in the playoffs).

Really seems like there will be an emphasis on managing players' fatigue levels this year, something we used to see with the old AV Canucks. As I recall that used to result in a lot of late-game points from the still-fresh Sedins.

Overall it sounds like a fluid sort of approach that requires the coach to have a good feel for where his players are at within the game, and at an extremely basic level it makes sense. If your top guys are tired, maybe they don't go out for that offensive zone start like they normally would, instead resting in favour of a more energized line. That line, though maybe not scoring, won't give up the momentum, and in the meantime the top guys get their energy back and re-enter the game while there is still momentum at their backs, and, now rested, they can have a more effective shift.

That's my read on it. Don't know if it's accurate. If it is, it is different from how many coaches run their bench, cliches aside. And once again, completely the opposite of how Torts went about his business.

Yeah, on paper...Willie's "4 line" philosophy seems a massively better fit for this group we have, in terms of minute management in particular.

We've got a team that has what looks like a very strong bottom-6 where we can ice quite a few pretty decent two-way hockey players. But we have what looks to be an average at best, possibly below average 2nd line, and a 1st line that while very good...has some real limitations in terms of effective minutes they thrive on. So it makes a ton of sense to try to work that depth, rather than leaning on the top guys a la Torts.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Yeah, on paper...Willie's "4 line" philosophy seems a massively better fit for this group we have, in terms of minute management in particular.

We've got a team that has what looks like a very strong bottom-6 where we can ice quite a few pretty decent two-way hockey players. But we have what looks to be an average at best, possibly below average 2nd line, and a 1st line that while very good...has some real limitations in terms of effective minutes they thrive on. So it makes a ton of sense to try to work that depth, rather than leaning on the top guys a la Torts.

Agree completely. Also seems like a good way to squeeze what's left from an aging team.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Agree completely. Also seems like a good way to squeeze what's left from an aging team.

Yes, it's really basic asset management. If Wille can do it effectively, we should see some solid play from our veterans. If we can get a couple of rookies into the lineup who deserve to be there, even better, as they can provide that youthful vigour later into the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad