Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Willie Desjardins as Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Don't think this was posted anywhere, but here's a really nice article about Willie D from a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.macleans.ca/society/willie-desjardins-is-a-winner-can-he-make-the-canucks-one/

Explains why he's so twitchy on the bench:

I also love the metaphor he used with the boiling water. Often, those things sound cheesy, but when you have a guy speaking like that with complete sincerity it suddenly has deeper feeling to it.

And after reading that article, he basically sounds like the exact coach the Oilers need right now :laugh:

Great article, he's just a good dude. Also I play at that arena on Friday mornings, it's a dump :laugh: Glad the organ's gone though :/

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
That was a really great article. It's weird but I feel that I already know more about Willie than AV even after all the years he spent here.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
That was a really great article. It's weird but I feel that I already know more about Willie than AV even after all the years he spent here.

Maybe it's just that you relate better to Willie than to AV...

I mean Willie's story is pretty Canadiana..

Small town prairie farm boy, back yard rink, blah blah...
vs
the french guy from Montreal....

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Maybe it's just that you relate better to Willie than to AV...

I mean Willie's story is pretty Canadiana..

Small town prairie farm boy, back yard rink, blah blah...
vs
the french guy from Montreal....

I guess I just wasn't as rabid a hockey fan back when we got AV as opposed to now. I'm sure there were similar articles on him as well. I really liked AV when he was here too but it was time to move on. I'll never forget his wellwood comment or him cracking up at Fiddler's Bieksa impression. Also his reaction when we finally beat the Hawks.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Big fan of the hiring for 2 reasons-

Aggressive, up tempo is the only way to play the game IMO.

Creating a player friendly environment is crucial if you want to attract and retain talent.

Definitely a risky proposition going with a rookie President, rookie GM and rookie head coach. But I don't know if you will find a more likeable trio in the NHL. Hopefully it parlays into attracting some quality free agents in the coming years.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
That article was a great read, thanks for sharing it! The Canucks are lucky to have landed this guy as a coach, I only wish it was sooner!

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver

"It's magic the way he runs his game..."

"He's got to be try to be number one, no time for kindness until his dream is done."

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
When was the last time you heard a coach publicly comment about a rookie that he wants him to focus on his offensive game...

Those were pretty cool comments to hear from today re: Vey.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Was looking at the macleans article and learning a bunch of new stuff.

So his combined CHL and AHL coaching record is:

424-222-67-15

Meaning that his combined CHL, AHL and NHL coaching record before tonight is:

426-222-67-15

Go Willie!

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Was somewhat surprised to see the Twins out for a decent length of time at the end. I may be wrong but I thought it was well over a minute. Was very surprised, but hey, it worked out :)

JA

desjardinsjpeg1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad