Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Travis Green as Head Coach

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So in order to support your agenda you are suggesting that "young" Horvat played better under WD than he is playing now? And why is Rodin even mentioned, he's long gone. Meanwhile Willie is one win (against mighty Germany) from a gold medal game in the Olympics. Keep trying...
What? Where in the world did you get that from?

Horvat and Boeser are currently our two strongest forwards right now, so I am comparing them to the Sedins from back then, and arguing that they aren't really an improvement on the 75 point versions of the Sedins. Young Horvat was a part of the secondary offense back then, so I'm comparing that group to our current group of secondary offense guys (including the old version of the Sedins, who I would argue are currently both weaker than that lesser version of Horvat, at least in the second half), and arguing that the group young Horvat was a part of was stronger than this one.

I mentioned Rodin because I was pointing out that even we, the arm-chair coaches, were unable to construct anything that looked like viable line-combinations with Green's roster, because it fundamentally stinks. In comparison, while most of us disagreed with Desjardin's coaching decisions, the make up and chemistry of the line combinations that he stuck with were well liked. He had a modestly nice group of guys that fit together well.

We don't even need to get into an argument about Desjardins-- I simply disagree with your assessment of the differences in quality between the two rosters.

You're jumping straight to accusations about people's supposed agendas without honestly engaging their actual disagreement.

Last edited:

Feb 20, 2013
So I was at the game last night, and that loss is completely on Green's shoulders. Didn't change up the penalty kill, even though it was getting torched. Then he put the Sedins out in OT. As soon as I saw them on the ice, I told my son to grab his jacket, he said why .... 8 seconds later Colorado scored.
Green better learn from that loss, otherwise I'm really going to think he's as bad as Willy.

Good point. I had the same sort of "oh no!" feeling when I saw them on the ice. I think you do have to play them in OT since they are some of the Canucks top forwards, but either you have to split them up and pair them with another faster player, or you have to put them on only when you already have possession (ie the defenseman stays on and holds the puck behind the net while the forwards change).

To be fair to Daniel last night, he did a decent job of checking the faster Colorado player (Jost?), but Jost did a nice chicken wing sort of hold on Daniel's stick when he went down. He was looking to embellish the infraction, which is the definition of "diving" in the NHL. It should likely have been coincidental minors on the play.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
To be fair to Daniel last night, he did a decent job of checking the faster Colorado player (Jost?), but Jost did a nice chicken wing sort of hold on Daniel's stick when he went down. He was looking to embellish the infraction, which is the definition of "diving" in the NHL. It should likely have been coincidental minors on the play.

Oh the irony...

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Well the Willie haters can relish this moment. Clearly this whole debacle was his fault never mind that the team was comprised of a group of players so bad that many of them were Canuck discards from past years and never mind that Canada outshot Germany by double. Willie's first regulation loss as head coach of Team Canada was a costly one for sure but anybody who thinks he's a terrible coach based on this result is insane. I would have expected similar comments even if Canada won the gold so I'm not surprized and I for one would like to offer my heartfelt congratulations to Team Germany and especially to head coach Marco Sturm who is only slightly more popular in Vancouver than Willie is for almost equally stupid reasons. Haters gotta hate.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Well the Willie haters can relish this moment. Clearly this whole debacle was his fault never mind that the team was comprised of a group of players so bad that many of them were Canuck discards from past years and never mind that Canada outshot Germany by double. Willie's first regulation loss as head coach of Team Canada was a costly one for sure but anybody who thinks he's a terrible coach based on this result is insane. I would have expected similar comments even if Canada won the gold so I'm not surprized and I for one would like to offer my heartfelt congratulations to Team Germany and especially to head coach Marco Sturm who is only slightly more popular in Vancouver than Willie is for almost equally stupid reasons. Haters gotta hate.

Lol.

The most inappropriately premature hyper defensive post of all time.

You were prepared to rub it in everyone's face when he did the expected thing and won with team Canada. But as soon as he loses you are going to disassociate him from the results. You're cute.

He's a terrible coach because of all the reasons people have listed before that you have ignored. Nothing has changed.

But lmao losing to Germany.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006

Is he your dad or something? No one thinks he's a terrible coach based on this result. People think he's a terrible coach because he was a terrible coach during his years with the canucks making boneheaded decision after boneheaded decision. He got absolutely embarassed against calgary in the playoffs.

Reactions: travis scott

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Sorry you lost your chance to gloat about Willie leading Canada to the gold. That must hurt.

megatron

Dec 11, 2016

Of all the people to defend your defending Willie? No one is relishing the moment, nobody cares about Willie. He is a lousy coach. When he got selected to coach the Olympics. I was stunned. But ultimately it doesnt matter if he won or lost the tourney he is still a lousy coach. Sure best case, he's tredning up because perhaps he's learned from his mistakes or something but we have seen him for 3 years and have enough body of evidence to conclude his merits. He was lousy and is still lousy.
  • Desjardins had much to answer for. He didn’t change lines. He didn’t change styles. He didn’t adjust to the Germans’ trapping ways. He didn’t shorten his bench when he needed to. He continued to use ineffective players. And in a four-on-four situation late in the game, down a goal, the Canadian coach put fourth-liners Eric O’Dell and Maxim Lapierre on the ice. Up a goal, that makes perfect sense. Down a goal, it’s ludicrous. Losing is one thing. Beating yourself is another.
Steve Simmons: Team Canada beat itself in embarrassing loss to Germany

Same old willie. Said it before and I ll say it again, He will never be a head coach in the NHL again, Hes one and done. Now I'd take it further by suggesting he wont even be an assistant.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Of all the people to defend your defending Willie? No one is relishing the moment, nobody cares about Willie. He is a lousy coach. When he got selected to coach the Olympics. I was stunned. But ultimately it doesnt matter if he won or lost the tourney he is still a lousy coach. Sure best case, he's tredning up because perhaps he's learned from his mistakes or something but we have seen him for 3 years and have enough body of evidence to conclude his merits. He was lousy and is still lousy.
  • Desjardins had much to answer for. He didn’t change lines. He didn’t change styles. He didn’t adjust to the Germans’ trapping ways. He didn’t shorten his bench when he needed to. He continued to use ineffective players. And in a four-on-four situation late in the game, down a goal, the Canadian coach put fourth-liners Eric O’Dell and Maxim Lapierre on the ice. Up a goal, that makes perfect sense. Down a goal, it’s ludicrous. Losing is one thing. Beating yourself is another.

Same old willie. Said it before and I ll say it again, He will never be a head coach in the NHL again, Hes one and done. Now I'd take it further by suggesting he wont even be an assistant.

That's actually hilarious. So Willie lost in the most Willie way possible

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER

bwahaha oh how loathe I am to read steve simmons, but that's just so perfect. I couldn't stay up to watch this game, but I knew he'd blow it. What a f***ing dumbass he is.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I went and read a steve simmons piece, lord forgive me, but it's just so perfect. He rips Canada for not being ready to play, for terrible line changes, he rips Willie for "freezing" behind the bench, for playing 4th liners when he was behind, for sticking with the same lines the entire game.

99% of Canucks fans could have told Hockey Canada exactly what was going to happen. Please don't ever tell me that hockey executives aren't colossal morons.

Reactions: travis scott

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i don't know if this necessarily belongs in the coaching thread because i think to a large degree every coach in the NHL, or probably even AHL, if left to his own devices will try to win every game instead of developing young players. the common denominator between willie and travis isn't that they both do this (remember how we yelled at crawford for holding back the sedins? or AV for not trusting hansen for years, rarely or never giving an honest chance to kassian, corrado, scrotes, jensen, etc?), the common denominator might be that this is enabled by the organization at a time where trying to win games with sam gagner, granlund's crappy brother, eriksson, and whomever else makes no sense.

i had nothing to listen to on the commute this morning so i randomly fired up a podcast of ferraro on 1040. he puts it really nicely and bluntly, without explicitly calling out the responsible parties (whether they are travis, benning, linden, cesco, a magic eight ball, infinite monkeys with infinite typewriters, or some combination of those and others behind the scenes). ferraro says, using goldobin as an example, i have no idea what we have in this guy. is he an NHLer, is he not? i've watched all the tape and i don't know. we're finishing 28th/29th for the umpteenth year in a row, these years are for finding out what our young players can do. and here we are at the end of the year with no clearer answers than at the beginning. why would you not give goldobin a leash of 15 games to see what he is? (then ferraro almost names names and goes off on how "the team" seems to have goldy now so concerned with fixing what he's not, or what he doesn't do well, that he might have himself lost track of what he is, or could do well.) obviously until this week you could ask the same about jake.

sekeres or price then chimes in that in four games we have an infinitely clearer idea of what leipsic might be than goldobin.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i don't know if this necessarily belongs in the coaching thread because i think to a large degree every coach in the NHL, or probably even AHL, if left to his own devices will try to win every game instead of developing young players. the common denominator between willie and travis isn't that they both do this (remember how we yelled at crawford for holding back the sedins? or AV for not trusting hansen for years, rarely or never giving an honest chance to kassian, corrado, scrotes, jensen, etc?), the common denominator might be that this is enabled by the organization at a time where trying to win games with sam gagner, granlund's crappy brother, eriksson, and whomever else makes no sense.

i had nothing to listen to on the commute this morning so i randomly fired up a podcast of ferraro on 1040. he puts it really nicely and bluntly, without explicitly calling out the responsible parties (whether they are travis, benning, linden, cesco, a magic eight ball, infinite monkeys with infinite typewriters, or some combination of those and others behind the scenes). ferraro says, using goldobin as an example, i have no idea what we have in this guy. is he an NHLer, is he not? i've watched all the tape and i don't know. we're finishing 28th/29th for the umpteenth year in a row, these years are for finding out what our young players can do. and here we are at the end of the year with no clearer answers than at the beginning. why would you not give goldobin a leash of 15 games to see what he is? (then ferraro almost names names and goes off on how "the team" seems to have goldy now so concerned with fixing what he's not, or what he doesn't do well, that he might have himself lost track of what he is, or could do well.) obviously until this week you could ask the same about jake.

sekeres or price then chimes in that in four games we have an infinitely clearer idea of what leipsic might be than goldobin.

Yup. Been saying this all year. And for most of the last couple years under Willie.

This organization just completely fails at the concept of putting young players in a position to succeed, unless we're dealing with a coach-pet that the head coach had in junior (Vey, Pouliot, Leipsic).

Reactions: Peter10

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Green wasn't really hired to coach the current Canuck roster.....the Sedins will be gone either at the end of this year or no later than the end of next season....and Edler will likely follow them out the door at that time....and some of the current journeymen will be moved out for the next wave of young players.

Green was hired to mold the likes of Pettersson, Gaudette, Juolevi, Demko, Lind, Gadjovich and Dahlen....and Benning seems utterly convinced that both Brisebois and Chatfield will eventually be patrolling the blueline in VanCity, so you can add them to the list. That's the point at which we find out what kind of coach Green really is.

So far the early returns on kids like Boeser and Virtanen are promsing....Goldy, not so much. All you can hope for as that the next wave of young players generally improves each season under Green's watch.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Yup. Been saying this all year. And for most of the last couple years under Willie.

This organization just completely fails at the concept of putting young players in a position to succeed, unless we're dealing with a coach-pet that the head coach had in junior (Vey, Pouliot, Leipsic).
Yeah, I don't get why Goldobin has never been afforded the Leipsic treatment (which sounds like a form of liposuction)... even just cynically, the team has an equal interest in making him look good as some of the other recent acquisitions.

It is really the Russian thing? Just that he doesn't have the "Canadian tenacity", expending more energy while doing basic things so as to evince "effort" or whatever?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yeah, I don't get why Goldobin has never been afforded the Leipsic treatment (which sounds like a form of liposuction)... even just cynically, the team has an equal interest in making him look good as some of the other recent acquisitions.

It is really the Russian thing? Just that he doesn't have the "Canadian tenacity", expending more energy while doing basic things so as to evince "effort" or whatever?

not the coach's son?

MisfortuneCookie

Replace Benning with a potato.
Jan 25, 2018

If you don't know what Goldobin is by now, you must not be watching, and Ferraro must not be either. Goldobin is headed for the KHL. He's soft, he doesn't battle, his positioning is awful, and he gives the puck away constantly. Rarely, one of his hoper-passes or dangles doesn't end up on the opponent's stick, and when that happens it looks a bit dazzling. It's just a cheap magic show. He looks lackadaisical. Every time he's been given an opportunity it's just another day at the rink for him.

Leipsic recognized he was being given a big chance to prove himself, and forechecked like he was shot out of a cannon and has put up big points in a convincing fashion. He plays 'high event hockey', you see him everywhere. You might not know Goldobin yet because he plays such low-event hockey that he disappears into the ice. He's the invisible man. It's time to move on from "Goldy", he can sip on frappuccinos in Moscow. The team will be moving on, I'm quite sure, and rightfully so. San Jose ended up with trash and so did we. The deal was a wash.

Reactions: Nomobo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If you don't know what Goldobin is by now, you must not be watching, and Ferraro must not be either. Goldobin is headed for the KHL. He's soft, he doesn't battle, his positioning is awful, and he gives the puck away constantly. Rarely, one of his hoper-passes or dangles doesn't end up on the opponent's stick, and when that happens it looks a bit dazzling. It's just a cheap magic show. He looks lackadaisical. Every time he's been given an opportunity it's just another day at the rink for him.

Leipsic recognized he was being given a big chance to prove himself, and forechecked like he was shot out of a cannon and has put up big points in a convincing fashion. He plays 'high event hockey', you see him everywhere. You might not know Goldobin yet because he plays such low-event hockey that he disappears into the ice. He's the invisible man. It's time to move on from "Goldy", he can sip on frappuccinos in Moscow. The team will be moving on, I'm quite sure, and rightfully so. San Jose ended up with trash and so did we. The deal was a wash.

I agree that Goldobin isn't going to make it. But he was also put in a position to fail, and you can see that he's a player with no confidence who is terrified of making mistakes.

In that Islanders game (Leipsic's 3nd game), Leipsic was literally the worst player on the ice for most of the night after not being very good in the previous game either. Several brutal turnovers, poor defensive play, 3 lazy penalties. If Goldobin or Virtanen had had that sort of game, neither would have seen a shift after the first period. Instead the coach has confidence in him, and he comes back and rewards him with a couple high-end plays to win the game late. Imagine that.

The difference in treatment for Leipsic vs. every other young player to come through here in the past couple years is striking. And it's just because he played for the coach in junior.

MisfortuneCookie

Replace Benning with a potato.
Jan 25, 2018
I agree that Goldobin isn't going to make it. But he was also put in a position to fail, and you can see that he's a player with no confidence who is terrified of making mistakes.

In that Islanders game (Leipsic's 3nd game), Leipsic was literally the worst player on the ice for most of the night after not being very good in the previous game either. Several brutal turnovers, poor defensive play, 3 lazy penalties. If Goldobin or Virtanen had had that sort of game, neither would have seen a shift after the first period. Instead the coach has confidence in him, and he comes back and rewards him with a couple high-end plays to win the game late. Imagine that.

The difference in treatment for Leipsic vs. every other young player to come through here in the past couple years is striking. And it's just because he played for the coach in junior.

Leipsic took penalties, but taking penalties sometimes shows you are battling, you are engaged. I didn't think he was the worst player on the ice at all. The fact is, when Leipsic was given a chance on the top line, he played like a "man possessed" (tehe), when Goldobin was given chances on the top line (and he has, don't say he hasn't) you forget he's even playing. He's invisible. He's floating, he's not in the corners battling, he's not diving to hold the puck in the zone. He's thinking about his next latte or something.

Green certainly favors Leipsic because of their history, but Green also favors Leipsic because those memories aren't of Leipsic floating around the ice doing nothing. It's memories of Leipsic playing high event hockey, which is what he's doing for him again (for now).

Reactions: Nomobo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad