Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Travis Green as Head Coach

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
No idea what you're trying to say there fella.

Though am picking up a decidedly snarky attitude from you most of the time around here.

How about you try giving the attitude a rest, you might have better luck garnering responses.

Reactions: Nomobo

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
No idea what you're trying to say there fella.

Though am picking up a decidedly snarky attitude from you most of the time around here.

How about you try giving the attitude a rest, you might have better luck garnering responses.

Seriously?

People have taken the time to give specific criticisms of him as a coach. These crticisms have not only gone unaddressed, but completely dismissed in favour of absolute vaguery and appeals to ignorance.

Look at our point totals by year. Which season is the outlier. Is it really 14-15 or is it 13-14?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Seriously?

People have taken the time to give specific criticisms of him as a coach. These crticisms have not only gone unaddressed, but completely dismissed in favour of absolute vaguery and appeals to ignorance.

Look at our point totals by year. Which season is the outlier. Is it really 14-15 or is it 13-14?

Which one of these is different?

I would say of you remove 14-15 you would have the gradual downward trajectory we should expect from an aging, depleted roster with nothing left in the cupboard by the prtevious regime to replace the missing and decaying pieces.

Honestly, that is the pattern I perceive when I gaze at the blotter here. Maybe I'm crazy?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Which one of these is different?

Bitch please.

(Lockout. .. 101pt pace.)

We were obviously in steady decline with the torts year being a clear outlier. Willie d didn't do anything magical to give us a dead cat bounce the following season.

And you have still done nothing to address the clear actual criticisms levied against him.

What specifically do you think he did in that first year that Led to such success?

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
***** please.

We were obviously in steady decline with the torts year being a clear outlier. Willie d didn't do anything magical to give us a dead cat bounce the following season.

And you have still done nothing to address the clear actual criticisms levied against him.

What specifically do you think he did in that first year that Led to such success?
The 101 point season was a shortened season as well. We were actually on pace for more points than our record breaking season.

Oops misread it, the 59pt season was the lockout season.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
***** please.

I'm not going to get into the nuts and bolts of it; I'll leave the parsing and the nitpicking to you experts.

Enjoy the blossoming of Derek Pouliot though, no one deserves it more than you do. It's going to be one a hell of a journey!

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm not going to get into the nuts and bolts of it; I'll leave the parsing and the nitpicking to you experts.

Enjoy k Pouliot though, no one deserves it more than you do. It's going to be one a hell of a journey!

Okay, so basically you have nothing to contribute, and have to resort to red herring and strawman.

Pathetic. This is what makes the JBFC look so bad. They cannot engage in actual debate and just do these sad hit and run jobs that don't even make sense.

Reactions: dim jim

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Okay, so basically you have nothing to contribute, and have to resort to red herring and strawman.

Pathetic. This is what makes the JBFC look so bad. They cannot engage in actual debate and just do these sad hit and run jobs that don't even make sense.
I don't represent JBFC whatever that is; I'm not a drone. I think for myself. Although I can see how you think that way, a person could actually put 99 percent of the drones around here on ignore and just receive the message directly from the queen bee. Hmm, that sounds like a viable idea, I wonder why I haven't tried....wait a minute..;)

Without wasting my time combing through 20+ pages of FRAT I'll just say that I actually think Willie D's system is better suited to the dearth of talent we operate with here, and that he does a better job of bringing along kids, which was reason enough to leave Willie in place. Green doesn't have the horses here to play the way he wants to and you see the result.

The coaching change has yielded nothing in the way of results on the scoreboard and in the standings and we're stuck with an even more veteran obsessed coach to work with our kids coming through the pipeline. And hockey Canada snapping Willie up to be the head coach of the Canadian men's Olympic team speaks to how they viewed the coaching attributes of Willie and probably says something about how the industry viewed the firing.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I don't represent JBFC whatever that is; I'm not a drone. I think for myself. Although I can see how you think that way, a person could actually put 99 percent of the drones around here on ignore and just receive the message directly from the queen bee. Hmm, that sounds like a viable idea, I wonder why I haven't tried....wait a minute..;)

Without wasting my time combing through 20+ pages of FRAT I'll just say that I actually think Willie D's system is better suited to the dearth of talent we operate with here, and that he does a better job of bringing along kids, which was reason enough to leave Willie in place. Green doesn't have the horses here to play the way he wants to and you see the result.

The coaching change has yielded nothing in the way of results on the scoreboard and in the standings and we're stuck with an even more veteran obsessed coach to work with our kids coming through the pipeline. And hockey Canada snapping Willie up to be the head coach of the Canadian men's Olympic team speaks to how they viewed the coaching attributes of Willie and probably says something about how the industry viewed the firing.
Uh..okay.

Willie D did not match lines. He didn't put his offensive weapons out after a tv timeout, and he didn't even seem to be aware of who the other coach had coming over the boards or when. Didn't you actually see the Sbieksa pairing? How many seasons have we watched dmen skating around aimlessly in their own zone? Does any of this sound like competent NHL coaching to you? Sure, the lineup was garbage but he added his own personal creative contribution to the team's descent.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Uh..okay.

Willie D did not match lines. He didn't put his offensive weapons out after a tv timeout, and he didn't even seem to be aware of who the other coach had coming over the boards or when. Didn't you actually see the Sbieksa pairing? How many seasons have we watched dmen skating around aimlessly in their own zone? Does any of this sound like competent NHL coaching to you? Sure, the lineup was garbage but he added his own personal creative contribution to the team's descent.

I can't really argue with much of that, I would just say that his bench coaching shortcomings didn't rise to the level of justifying a coaching change given the reality of a shit team that was obviously at ground zero of a complete, comprehensive rebuild. Except as a 'look we're trying something new' vehicle to sell false hope to the season ticket holder and I have already granted that it made perfect sense in that context. Again, the proof is in the absence of any real on ice results. Floundering around at the bottom of the standings is just that. And we even have the additional headache of watching a Pouliot bumble around every night in the Linden Vey "I had him in junior Jim, I recommend him" role, albeit this time with the sacrifice of promising Ben Hutton apparently part of the equation. This is a coach that actually eats his young.

Yep, we also have the additional problem that the new coach has been demonstrably inferior to Willie in the area of working and developing youth. His lone success story being Brendan Gaunce and that guy is so determined he was bound to overcome just about any obstacle to make it to the show. Green is just not the guy you're looking for in rebuild mode it seems to me.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I would just say that his bench coaching shortcomings didn't rise to the level of justifying a coaching change given the reality of a **** team that was obviously at ground zero of a complete, comprehensive rebuild. Except as a 'look we're trying something new' vehicle to sell false hope to the season ticket holder and I have already granted that it made perfect sense in that context.

The norm isn't for head coaches to coach in their final year of their contract (although it is becoming more frequent). Willie signed a 4 year contract. He was fired after 3.

This is just how the business works. Plus, when teams aren't winning they make coaching changes. Change for the sake of change is quite the norm. I mean what is there to lose?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Getting that mediocre Canuck group into the playoffs in 14-15 will go down as one of the greatest coaching achievements in the history of this benighted franchise inho. Jumping 18 points from 25th place the previous season under Tortorella to to 8th spot overall was quite a remarkable feat and can't really be discarded when assessing Willie D 's worke. Sure he does baffling hockey coach stuff that make fans want to pull their hair out; guess what, Green does too. They're hockey coaches.

I thought then and continue to believe now that Willie just the convenient fall guy served up to the owner after the shock of yet another failed one year plan to make the playoffs (where anything can happen etc) thereby saving the current regime for another year. The proof of course is in the complete lack of results in the standings. We are what we are (and what we were). We have nothing to point to to justify this change, not en the modest bump that changes behind the bench nearly always produce, short term. We remain firmly affixed to our station in life, the bottom five.
The second round of what? The Stanley Cup playoffs. With that roster?:laugh: Torts exposed that roster for what it was. And he is a good coach.

The fans wanted Willie's head. And they got it. Fair? Nope.

I agree with all of this. What irritates me even more is the personal attacks on him, calling him "twitchy" etc. The guy did what he could to achieve his mandate (make the playoffs and be competitive) with the tools that he had. His efforts bought Lindenning a couple of years of time to make things right. His efforts were recognized by Hockey Canada when they picked him to run the national program which is no easy job given both the mediocre quality of the talent available to him and the expectations of the most hockey mad country in the world. His speech when he was ignominiously fired was the epitome of class which is a lot more than I can say for a whole lot of the "Canuck fans" that pollute this (and other) hockey message boards. I don't exactly hate Travis Green but his pre-NHL resume isn't anywhere near as impressive as Willie's was and the results he is getting from a vastly superior lineup are, so far, rather unimpressive. Ya don't think Willie would have liked to have had a 50 goal scorer in his lineup? Torts got roughly the same treatment here and while I'm not HIS biggest fan either it speaks volumes that once he was ejected here he almost immediately found a way to make a mediocre team into a winner, something that I have no doubt will happen again whenever Willie gets another NHL job (which I feel is inevitable)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I agree with all of this. What irritates me even more is the personal attacks on him, calling him "twitchy" etc. The guy did what he could to achieve his mandate (make the playoffs and be competitive) with the tools that he had. His efforts bought Lindenning a couple of years of time to make things right. His efforts were recognized by Hockey Canada when they picked him to run the national program which is no easy job given both the mediocre quality of the talent available to him and the expectations of the most hockey mad country in the world. His speech when he was ignominiously fired was the epitome of class which is a lot more than I can say for a whole lot of the "Canuck fans" that pollute this (and other) hockey message boards. I don't exactly hate Travis Green but his pre-NHL resume isn't anywhere near as impressive as Willie's was and the results he is getting from a vastly superior lineup are, so far, rather unimpressive. Ya don't think Willie would have liked to have had a 50 goal scorer in his lineup? Torts got roughly the same treatment here and while I'm not HIS biggest fan either it speaks volumes that once he was ejected here he almost immediately found a way to make a mediocre team into a winner, something that I have no doubt will happen again whenever Willie gets another NHL job (which I feel is inevitable)
I'd say that Willie getting another NHL job as head coach is pretty optimistic...

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I'd say that Willie getting another NHL job as head coach is pretty optimistic...

I remember countless posters both here and on CDC that said the same about Torts...

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised to see Willie get a job as an assistant somewhere first. I certainly don't think he is the greatest coach ever or anything but the ridiculous hatred he gets from some Canuck fans borders on pathological. Worst coach in Canucks history? Hardly. I still remember the late Bill Laforge...

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I remember countless posters both here and on CDC that said the same about Torts...

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised to see Willie get a job as an assistant somewhere first. I certainly don't think he is the greatest coach ever or anything but the ridiculous hatred he gets from some Canuck fans borders on pathological. Worst coach in Canucks history? Hardly. I still remember the late Bill Laforge...

Tortorella has a Stanley Cup and multiple 50 win seasons. Very different case. Not to mention he's been around for way longer. Willie is 60 and he has as many playoff wins as he does bottom 5 finishes.

Last edited:

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
So I was at the game last night, and that loss is completely on Green's shoulders. Didn't change up the penalty kill, even though it was getting torched. Then he put the Sedins out in OT. As soon as I saw them on the ice, I told my son to grab his jacket, he said why .... 8 seconds later Colorado scored.
Green better learn from that loss, otherwise I'm really going to think he's as bad as Willy.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I completely disagree that Green has a superior lineup to Desjardins.

Boeser isn't a 50 goal scorer yet, he's just under a 40 goal pace. Both Daniel and Henrik Sedin had enough gas in the tank at that point that they were every bit as effective offensively as Boeser or Horvat is at this stage in their career. Beyond that, Vrbata, Bonino, Higgins, and young Horvat were on the whole comparable, if not better than Vanek, the current version of the Sedins, and Baertschi (especially in the second half when Horvat ramped up his game), and role players like Burrows, Hansen, Richardson, Matthias, and even Kenins were far superior to guys like Gaunce, Virtanen, Sutter, and Granlund. While the current versions of Edler and Tanev are easily the best d-men of the bunch, overall the defensive core of Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Stanton, and Sbisa/Weber was far superior to the current sh*t-show of Edler, Tanev, Del Zotto, Hutton, Stecher, and Biega/Gudbranson. Miller and Lack were superior to Markstrom and Nilsson, as well.

Desjardins had the better lineup in virtually every respect.

Unlike the current line-up, Desjardins inherited a team that actually had proper complementary role players who could fit cohesively together and generate chemistry, but he barely even took advantage of that by refusing to consider match-ups. On the contrary, earlier in the year when we were looking at possible line combinations for this year's roster, many of us agreed that it felt hopeless because no matter how you re-configured them, nothing seemed to fit together and you always ended up with something that looked ugly. "Okay, I guess my checking line will have to be... Gagner - Sutter - Rodin/Granlund.......... Ugh! Gross."

Last edited:
Reactions: vancityluongo

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I completely disagree that Green has a superior lineup to Desjardins.

Boeser isn't a 50 goal scorer yet, he's just under a 40 goal pace. Both Daniel and Henrik Sedin had enough gas in the tank at that point that they were every bit as effective offensively as Boeser or Horvat is at this stage in their career. Beyond that, Vrbata, Bonino, Higgins, and young Horvat were on the whole comparable, if not better than Vanek, the current version of the Sedins, and Baertschi (especially in the second half when Horvat ramped up his game), and role players like Burrows, Hansen, Richardson, Matthias, and even Kenins were far superior to guys like Gaunce, Virtanen, Sutter, and Granlund. While the current versions of Edler and Tanev are easily the best d-men of the bunch, overall the defensive core of Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Stanton, and Sbisa/Weber was far superior to the current sh*t-show of Edler, Tanev, Del Zotto, Hutton, Stecher, and Biega/Gudbranson. Miller and Lack were superior to Markstrom and Nilsson, as well.
Desjardins had the better lineup in virtually every respect.

Unlike the current line-up, Desjardins inherited a team that actually had proper complementary role players who could fit cohesively together and generate chemistry, but he barely even took advantage of that by refusing to consider match-ups. On the contrary, earlier in the year when we were looking at possible line combinations for this year's roster, many of us agreed that it felt hopeless because no matter how you re-configured them, nothing seemed to fit together and you always ended up with something that looked ugly. "Okay, I guess my checking line will have to be... Gagner - Sutter - Rodin/Granlund.......... Ugh! Gross."

So in order to support your agenda you are suggesting that "young" Horvat played better under WD than he is playing now? And why is Rodin even mentioned, he's long gone. Meanwhile Willie is one win (against mighty Germany) from a gold medal game in the Olympics. Keep trying...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad