Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Cloutier Goalie Coach; Melanson now Goalie Coach of Player Development

Cupless

Aug 26, 2005
This makes me really happy. I think it's a bit of a coup to be able to keep Melanson in the organization. It seems that most people assumed he would be leaving the Canucks org. I like to think someone in management convinced him to to stick around.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Well i guess at least they could manage to convince Rollie to stay in this train reck of an organization for a lil longer. Hopefully Dan Cloutier learned something from him about developing NHL quality elite goalies

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I mean, just look at Melanson ;)

Mediocre NHL goalie doesn't = mediocre NHL goalie coach

Look at Melanson's pro career. I'd say Cloutier deserves a fair chance. Hopefully he works well with Marky.

This is excellent news for Demko.

Um, people do realize that Melanson won 3 Stanley Cups, a Jennings, was a 2nd team All-Star and Vezina runner-up in 1983, right?

His career flamed out early (as did most of his generation) with the revolution to bigger goalies and butterfly netminding, but he had some pretty big highs.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
Optics of Melanson leaving outright would have been bad. Small PR win for this management, for once.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Um, people do realize that Melanson won 3 Stanley Cups, a Jennings, was a 2nd team All-Star and Vezina runner-up in 1983, right?

His career flamed out early (as did most of his generation) with the revolution to bigger goalies and butterfly netminding, but he had some pretty big highs.

I had no idea! I only remembered the tail end of his career.

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
This is great news! Glad to see they got something worked out with Rollie. He obviously wanted to spend more time on the east coast, and it's probably best to get a guy like him working with the prospects anyway. Help them develop a strong foundation on which to work with.

From all reports Cloutier has been doing good work in Utica. Seems like the logical promotion.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
If you insist on making this discussion about your fellow posters, your post will be deleted and you will receive an infraction. Consider this a last warning.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
Wonder what changed from a few months ago when K.Woodley seemed adamant that Rollie wasn't coming back after his contract expired.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Fair enough. But my point still stands. A person's success as a player has little to do with how effective they are as coaches.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Well he should definitely know what doesn't make a good starting goaltender in the NHL....

Those who can't do, teach and all that....

I kid (sort of). He's a good guy and it sounds like he's been developing into a good goaltending coach. The results, in the end, will tell the tale but he clearly has Melanson's stamp of approval which says a lot.

Screw you guys, I was always a fan & supporter of Cloutier! :P

He was just in Utica before right?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Fair enough. But my point still stands. A person's success as a player has little to do with how effective they are as coaches.

Oh absolutely.

But I've seen so many references over the years to what a bum Melanson was as a goalie, and people don't seem to realize at all that this guy has a fistful of Cup rings and was once 2nd in Vezina voting.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Love this so much!!! Cloutier will basically be the hands on coach working under Melanson and Rollie will get to spend more time working with Demko!!

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
beachball.png

Oh man. That brings back memories.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Wonder what changed from a few months ago when K.Woodley seemed adamant that Rollie wasn't coming back after his contract expired.

Probably nothing. Melanson needed to move east for personal reasons. Detroit had a job opening but they promoted from within. Buffalo fired and hired their guy in short order (11 days). I think Ottawa's position is still open.

But if he's going east to spend time with his mom, then as a consultant he probably won't have to spend as much time in Utica.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Probably nothing. Melanson needed to move east for personal reasons. Detroit had a job opening but they promoted from within. Buffalo fired and hired their guy in short order (11 days). I think Ottawa's position is still open.

But if he's going east to spend time with his mom, then as a consultant he probably won't have to spend as much time in Utica.

Exactly he's getting a cushy well payed job to go help in Utica when it's convenient, good on management and ownership to take care of their own.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Optics of Melanson leaving outright would have been bad. Small PR win for this management, for once.

I don't see how it would have looked bad for the Canucks. Melanson has publicly stated his reasons for leaving and not just a press conference sort of announcement but elaborated on his reasons in a personal documentary sort of way. So unless someone wants to go full.conspiracy and accuse Melanson of lying or covering up the true reasons for leaving then I can't see how the Canucks would have looked bad with Melanson leaving outright.

Regardless it's a moot point. I am happy Melanson will be sticking around. Management must have offered Melanson maximum flexibility. And a lot of his work can be watching game tapes and talking to and texting players. Other organizations's openings were for a full time goalie coach so I don't think it's even something Melanson would be interested in.

Cloutier appears to have done good work and definitely has the varied experience to connect with young goalies. This is great news.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I have never liked Cloutier. I am upset he is our goalie coach, but I am more upset about other things this regime has done.

Maybe Cloutier can really help as a coach, time will tell.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I like the new set up with goaltender coaches.

Dan Cloutier gets to still work with Markstrom like he did in the AHL.
Miller wasn't really retaining any of Melanson's coaching anyway (just an observation on how Miller played stylistically last season).
Demko gets to train under a guy who helped Schneider.

Terrific new set up and I'm so glad that we got to keep Melanson during everything.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Oh absolutely.

But I've seen so many references over the years to what a bum Melanson was as a goalie, and people don't seem to realize at all that this guy has a fistful of Cup rings and was once 2nd in Vezina voting.

He had a few pretty nice peak years, but he seems to have been mainly a passenger for those Stanley Cups.

Playoff W/L record of 3-3 for his three rings vs. Billy Smith's 42-9 record during those same three playoffs.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
It's a terrific setup and for once, Canucks did very very good. It would be awesome if Travis Green is promoted to Assistant/Associate Coach if Gulutuzan goes to the Flames.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad