Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Cloutier Goalie Coach; Melanson now Goalie Coach of Player Development

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Well he should definitely know what doesn't make a good starting goaltender in the NHL....

Those who can't do, teach and all that....

I kid (sort of). He's a good guy and it sounds like he's been developing into a good goaltending coach. The results, in the end, will tell the tale but he clearly has Melanson's stamp of approval which says a lot.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Nice to see Melanson sticking around, and Cloutier seems like a logical choice to give an expanded role. He was involved with Markstrom's development in Utica, was he not?

Yes, a big part of it along with Rollie.

Kudos to Canucks management for working something out.

Good for Markstrom, I think he will get even better working with Clouts.

Good for Demko, sounds like he could use someone like Rollie to tidy up his game, hopefully they hit it off.

Good for my kids, they get to keep their goalie coach.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Cloutier's role the last few years;

Cloutier joins Head Coach Willie Desjardins and the Canucks coaching staff full time after serving four seasons with Vancouver as Goaltending Consultant, Player Development. In that role, Cloutier worked primarily with AHL, junior, and college prospects in the Canucks system. During Cloutier's tenure, Canucks prospect Thatcher Demko enjoyed a dominant 2015.16 season with Boston College, earning the 2016 Mike Richter Award as the most outstanding goaltender in NCAA men's hockey. In the 2014.15 AHL season, Jacob Markstrom finished second overall in goals against average (1.88) and save percentage (.934). Prior to joining the Canucks, Cloutier served as goaltending consultant for the Barrie Colts.

Source: http://www.uticacomets.com/news/detail/canucks-name-dan-cloutier-goaltending-coach

And Melanson's new role;

In his new role, Melanson will work in a development capacity with prospects in Utica and in the college and junior ranks after six seasons as goaltending coach for the Canucks. Under his guidance, the Canucks enjoyed sustained success in the crease. Melanson's first season as goaltending coach saw Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider combine to win the William M. Jennings Trophy with a league-low 2.20 goals against average. Prior to joining the Canucks, Melanson was an Assistant Coach with the Montreal Canadiens from 1997 to 2009, an Assistant Coach and Goaltending Coach for the QMJHL Moncton Wildcats from 1995 to 1997, and a goaltending consultant with the AHL St. John Flames from 1993 to 1995.

Source is the same article.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Excellent news for once! At least our goaltending position should be solid, barring injury.

Agreed. Pleasantly surprised the Canucks were able to work something out with Melanson.

And before jokes about Cloutier start flowing in, someone's prowess or lack thereof as a player does not predicate their coaching ability.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Cloutier always seems like a good teammate and being part of the Canuck family is good news. I really liked that video of him helping Demko out with his thought-process regarding 2-on-1 plays.

And yeah, also liked how he destroyed Rob Nediermayer when he crashed his crease. Or challenging the whole NYI bench after a line brawl.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
beachball.png

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
I believe Cloutier has the potential to be a great coach. In his prime, he was one of the best technical goaltenders in the game.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Mediocre NHL goalie doesn't = mediocre NHL goalie coach

Look at Melanson's pro career. I'd say Cloutier deserves a fair chance. Hopefully he works well with Marky.

This is excellent news for Demko.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
How good someone is as a player has almost no bearing on how good they are as a coach. If it did, Gretzky wouldn't have been a colossal failure in Arizona.

Really happy that they got Melanson to stick around, and I'm happy with having Cloutier take over full time goalie coach duties.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Agreed. Pleasantly surprised the Canucks were able to work something out with Melanson.

And before jokes about Cloutier start flowing in, someone's prowess or lack thereof as a player does not predicate their coaching ability.

"Someone's prowess or lack thereof"

We are talking about a guy who was a first round draft pick and then played in the NHL for a decade. A better resume than 99.9% of people that have put on goalie pads in their life. People act like he's the backup goalie on an 8 rinks team. So weird.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Nice to see Melanson stick around.

As for Cloutier, he's always been a character guy, regardless of his mediocrity in net (#EddieLack).

All around great news for the Canucks.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
In all seriousness, welcome back home Dan. I may have....disliked...him as a player, but I've heard nothing but great things about him as a coach. He has a good relationship with Marky already and has worked with Demko too as Willie mentioned in the Canucks announcement video. If Marky works as well with him next year as he did in Utica, this is a fantastic move for the team.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
This is welcome news. Very, very welcome news. Cloutier and Rollie have both had a big impact, I'm glad one is sticking around and the other is moving up.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Fantastic news all around. Rollie will continue to be a tremendous help in developing our young goalies for the NHL, and Cloutier gets to follow through with Markstrom.

The owners and management deserve kudos for making this happen.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Thank you Canucks for a bit of news that is legit good to hear. With all the negative news around the team lately, its nice getting a shining light once in awhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad