Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Cloutier Goalie Coach; Melanson now Goalie Coach of Player Development

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
This is a good move. Our development of goal tenders has been one shining light in an otherwise dark age of team history.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I'm glad they were able to retain Rollie in some capacity. Hiring ex-Canucks for coaching/managerial positions hasn't really worked out for us all that well so far so here's hoping Cloutier breaks that trend.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I really like this. Should bode well for guys like Demko as they develop in Utica, as Cloutier works strictly with the big club Melanson is free to help out guys in the minors more often, as I'm pretty sure we (and no one) don't have a goalie coach in the AHL.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Sorry, just have to say it! What, is he going to teach the Canucks goalies how to expertly time, letting in goals from center ice?.:naughty:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I have never liked Cloutier. I am upset he is our goalie coach, but I am more upset about other things this regime has done.

Maybe Cloutier can really help as a coach, time will tell.

Did you not like Melanson or our goaltenders development? The biggest thing about giving Cloutier the job is continuity. Cloutier has been the guy working with Demko and Markstrom in the Ahl. Both saw gains. In terms of job performance, Cloutier has done well. He deserved the promotion.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
great honour for the greatest goalie in canuck history

After Luongo and Schneider. And McLean. And Lack... Miller, Markstrom... Potvin? Bob Essensa. Corey Schwab. Oh ya that Richard Brodeur guy.

Who is that announcer guy we have, John Garfield? Him too.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Did you not like Melanson or our goaltenders development? The biggest thing about giving Cloutier the job is continuity. Cloutier has been the guy working with Demko and Markstrom in the Ahl. Both saw gains. In terms of job performance, Cloutier has done well. He deserved the promotion.

Cloutier has only really worked with Demko during training camps. NCAA's stupid rules.

Since Demko had surgery last season I'm pretty sure he didn't participate much on-ice training.

Not that I particularly find this move bad. Miller wasn't really able to change his style under Melanson based on my observations of Miller last year. So many of Melanson's talents seem to be wasted coaching Miller. Having him solely working with Demko might do absolute wonders to Demko's game.

Demko's game right now is very unrefined and is more reactionary then positional. So having Melanson basically straighten out the edges to Demkos game with him also retaining his athletic ability might be best for his development.

All in all, I personally think it's a great move.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Actual good news for once? Holy ****. I don't even know this feeling. It feels so great... I want this more often.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
I am going to assume the asshat-ery that has been puked up here is from those who have no idea how good or bad a coach cloutier is. Because I have seen no evidence of being concerned.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Cloutier has done excellent for us as a goaltending coach with the kids, regardless of how good he was during his playing career. It's not like Melanson was spectacular either.

Good move. I'd like to keep Melanson, but if he wants to go then we definitely picked the right guy with Cloutier.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Most of the best teachers are average players. Dan had a real hell of a time with the Kings back in 2007-08 when the team forced him and his pregnant wife to stay at a hotel, and also kept him at a Super-8 50 km away from where he was being treated for his hip pain, so it's nice that he has a good place in hockey again.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/columnists/story.html?id=ba1f54dc-5945-4684-9242-7bf0337f2c6e

we are on the verge of a nervous breakdown

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Cloutier has only really worked with Demko during training camps. NCAA's stupid rules.

Since Demko had surgery last season I'm pretty sure he didn't participate much on-ice training.

I think there's more to coaching than on-ice training. You hear goalies talking about their relationship with their goaltending coach and trust. A lot of it is communication. The phone call. The text. Analyzing game situations together. A lot of coaching can be done without actually being there doing on-ice drills. NHL teams keep tabs on their prospects playing in juniors. It's not like if Demko played in the CHL Cloutier would have necessarily spent more time "training" Demko.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Oh absolutely.

But I've seen so many references over the years to what a bum Melanson was as a goalie, and people don't seem to realize at all that this guy has a fistful of Cup rings and was once 2nd in Vezina voting.
I'd attribute that to the fact that most people on this forum were either swimming or filling diapers when Rollie the Goalie was an active player. Myself included.

That said, Cloutier moving to full-time is a good hire for the organization. This isn't a Babych/Snepsts hire, Clouts has worked his way up and started in the bottom rung of pro hockey after retiring as an active player. His fingerprints are all over the goalies we have in the organization and a full year of Rollie working with Demko next year should do wonders.

Last edited:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Most of the best teachers are average players. Dan had a real hell of a time with the Kings back in 2007-08 when the team forced him and his pregnant wife to stay at a hotel, and also kept him at a Super-8 50 km away from where he was being treated for his hip pain, so it's nice that he has a good place in hockey again.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/columnists/story.html?id=ba1f54dc-5945-4684-9242-7bf0337f2c6e

At first I felt bad for Dan then I realized he was making over 3 million dollars American. why didn't he just rent an apartment on his own? Why not go to hotel closer to clinic on your own. hopefully he has better problem solving abilities as a coach. If you have money you should never be living in a hotel with your pregnant wife but that is not on LA that is on Dan and his wife. I think it is funny he waited until the team had to get him an apartment to move.
Still think his hire is good and with keeping Rollie this hopefully remains an area of strength for the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad