Canucks Mid Season Prospect Rankings #3

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
1. Ben Hutton - 27.21% (5th round, 147th overall 2012)
482140111042_Black_Bears_v_Terriers.jpg

Owns a very projectable frame and good mobility for his size from the defense position. Is capable of producing offense, too, since he is a good passer and puck mover. Needs to continue to work on his play without the puck and overall defensive-zone coverage in order to thrive at the NHL level over the long haul.
Accomplishments: First All-Star Team (2013-14 HE), East Second All-American Team (2013-14 NCAA)

2. Jared McCann - 34.41% (1st round, 24th overall 2014)
10-27-vancouvercanucksjaredmccann.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Has excellent two-way instincts, sound defensive acumen and intriguing playmaking qualities. Is an asset with or without the puck. Also displays projectable size. Needs to continue to improve his shooting skills in order to become a better goal-scorer at the highest level. Also needs to add more bulk and fill out his frame.
Accomplishments: 2ND All Rookie Team (2012-2013 OHL), Gold Medal @ 2013 Ivan Hlinka

go panthers

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I think its a 3 way race. Boeser Demko and Virts. not sure what order they will go in.... but thats my call for the next 3. then Shink.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Boeser for the THIRD time already :shakehead

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
how the hell did Mccann get voted in before boeser? Mccann has been a non factor for months now, he should be in junior
Because he had a fantastic draft + 1 year, production and matchup wise. He's still scoring at a nearly 15 goal pace as a rookie in limited minutes. He's tracked incredibly week since being drafted, obviously so has Boeser but McCann has done it in a larger sample size.

That being said I have Boeser over Virtanen.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I voted Virtanen. Boeser's season is certainly impressive, as is Demko's, and I'm optimistic about both, but I find NCAA performances very difficult to assess. Jake's last few weeks have won me over. I think at worst he'll be an effective third-liner. Boeser and Demko have high ceilings but they still have time to bust. Shinkaruk as well.

pdefenestrator

Dec 12, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Boeser/Demko/Virtanen in any order are pretty strong for the 3rd-5th best prospects. Say what you will about Benning, to his credit this is the best I've felt about Vancouver prospects in a very long time.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Boeser/Demko/Virtanen in any order are pretty strong for the 3rd-5th best prospects. Say what you will about Benning, to his credit this is the best I've felt about Vancouver prospects in a very long time.

And these are just the first couple years.. :)

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Out of curiousity, why Boeser over Demko, to the people voting Boeser
Demko seems amazing
I'd like to think it's not a draft position thing considering who took #1

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Out of curiousity, why Boeser over Demko, to the people voting Boeser
Demko seems amazing
I'd like to think it's not a draft position thing considering who took #1

Because goalies are always uncertain and risky. Obviously, Demko has the highest upside (If all goes well, I legitimately think he can turn into the best goalie in the league), but a year from now, he could look like a complete bust.

Last edited:

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Because goalies are always uncertain and risky. Obviously, Demko has the highest upside (If all goes well, I legitimately think he can turn into the best goalie in the league), but a year from now, he could look like a complete bust.

Kind of like that Jake kid that tons of people like to bash because he had a really good draft year, and a disappointing +1 year ?

It's not like it's just a goalie thing
I'm not saying it's not true or anything, that goalies are wildcards basically, but I think it's overstated a lot of the time

Believe Demko was the highest rated goalie in that draft too, and he's yet to disappoint

The Alien

From another world.
Apr 1, 2015
BC
I voted Demko, I think his upside is elite. I haven't been this excited about high upside question marks in our pool for a while. Guys like Boeser, Tryamkin and Zhukenov are all very intriguing prospects.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Think people are getting fooled by assuming the NHLers are better prospects. Boeser, to me, is ahead of Virtanen and arguably McCann. First line upside.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Demko, easy choice for me.
You would think the goaltending gods would punish us after pissing away Schneider and Lack, but Demko looks like the real deal in games I have seen him in.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Think people are getting fooled by assuming the NHLers are better prospects. Boeser, to me, is ahead of Virtanen and arguably McCann. First line upside.

Yeah. What Boeser is doing in college draft +1 is more impressive than what Mccann did in the O.

Absolutely no way would I trade Boeser for 1 of Virtanen/Hutton/McCann.

We are at #3, but the 2 best prospects Imo-Boeser and Demko- arent even picked.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
virtanen leading the poll, eh?

for me it's boeser and it's not really a contest

I think people got confused and voted based on ready right now cause makes no sense. Well at least after the third round here it truely is the prospects now and not guys really in the NHL. Has to be BB 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad