Canucks Managerial Thread | 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Serious question: Does it make me a bad fan that I have little interest in the Canucks with Linden & Benning running ship? I could get behind a proper rebuild but the many bad moves and BS they spew pisses me off and makes me not want to buy tix & merch
Ask yourself this: if you can't handle this, could you have handled the Canucks in the 80's and 70's? Should you be a fan of the Canucks at all if you can't handle a hit of losing?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Maybe part of the problem is that this was avoidable, and now we have to watch two people we have zero confidence in try to turn the team around. For the past year and a half, every time I see we've made a move, I come away shocked/disappointed/downright sad.

We can't win games, and with what this management group has done so far, I can't help but feel it's going to continue to get worse before it gets better.

It's understandable to not want to follow the team as closely as before. We still have the emotional attachment to the team, but all we'll be rewarded with for watching is sadness. It's easier to just keep up on news and watch a bit less closely until we see signs of the team moving in the right direction, like a change in ownership/management.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Maybe part of the problem is that this was avoidable, and now we have to watch two people we have zero confidence in try to turn the team around. For the past year and a half, every time I see we've made a move, I come away shocked/disappointed/downright sad.

We can't win games, and with what this management group has done so far, I can't help but feel it's going to continue to get worse before it gets better.

It's understandable to not want to follow the team as closely as before. We still have the emotional attachment to the team, but all we'll be rewarded with for watching is sadness. It's easier to just keep up on news and watch a bit less closely until we see signs of the team moving in the right direction, like a change in ownership/management.

I will add it is also how I let my voice be heard. I currently won't spend a time for TV, tickets or merchandise on this team. It's the only way management will really know I am unhappy.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

the bolded is where our opinions diverge. The team going into a down cycle was inevitable, no matter who was in charge- THe teams best players and only reliable scorers were drafted in the 90s.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Serious question: Does it make me a bad fan that I have little interest in the Canucks with Linden & Benning running ship? I could get behind a proper rebuild but the many bad moves and BS they spew pisses me off and makes me not want to buy tix & merch

Nope.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

I used to watch 75+ games a year. Last year I watched about 15. This year I've watched 3. I just cannot care about this team. The way they market the team really leaves a bad taste in my mouth (linden figurehead, saying they're a competitive team, local boy marketing pick in Virtanen, meddling owners)

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I used to watch 75+ games a year. Last year I watched about 15. This year I've watched 3. I just cannot care about this team. The way they market the team really leaves a bad taste in my mouth (linden figurehead, saying they're a competitive team, local boy marketing pick in Virtanen, meddling owners)

You're not alone. I watched 80+ games every year, but this year I have zero interest in this team. I haven't watched an entire Canucks game since mid-November, but I'll watch games for as long as I can before being too bored (usually ~30 minutes). But I'm still a fan, I want the team to do well, and to me that means firing the bozos running this team into the ground.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'll come back once we get a competent manager who fires Ron Delorme as his first order of business. And also turfs all Canuck alumni in the org aside from those who have shown competencies (Gradin).

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Ask yourself this: if you can't handle this, could you have handled the Canucks in the 80's and 70's? Should you be a fan of the Canucks at all if you can't handle a hit of losing?

Watched the team when they were bad enough to get the twins.
At least back then there were some thing to be excited about with Bert and Nazzy and the team was in general likeable. Not to mention that Burke seemed like he knew what he was doing.

Now it's like, outside of the twins, Boho,McCann and Hutton, there is nothing to be excited about and the management is pissing me off with every single move and insulting the whole fanbase's intelligence every time they talk.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
GfZ1V0z.png

I already saw a post casting the Virtanen pick as a residue of the previous regime.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
This is the big difference for from say the 1980s.

Back then it was like no one gave a **** even the owners.

Now you have a much bigger focus on branding and selling the brand no matter how crappy it is.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
To reply to the above posts:

I actually think it makes you a good fan. You refuse to support a group of incompetent bumbling fools who are systematically dismantling your favorite team.

I'd go as far as to argue that those who support this regime are the bad fans.

I compare them to a parent that never disciplines their child. They can claim that they love them (or love the team, in this case) but by blindly defending everything they do and not having any sense of boundaries or foresight into how this will affect their future, you are being a bad parent (bad fan).

Supporting LinBenning as they propel the Canucks to becoming the team with the worst outlook in the NHL basically means you don't actually care about the long term success of the Canucks. (Or foolishly believe that Benning will somehow get us out of the giant hole that he has dug us into).

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I don't get why we're trying to qualify what makes a 'good' and 'bad' fan.

It's sports, let people cheer for whatever aspect they want to. If someone wants the team to win that doesn't make them any better or worse than someone wanting to tank for the future.

It's really just pedantic and creates a divide that doesn't need to exist.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006

It's sports, let people cheer for whatever aspect they want to. If someone wants the team to win that doesn't make them any better or worse than someone wanting to tank for the future.

Jim Benning and his regime have dug this team into a deep, deep (completely avoidable) hole.

They continue to make horrible decision after horrible decision that not only makes things worse for the Canucks now, but also for many years ahead.

Personally, I have a great disdain for what they are doing to my favorite team. If someone supports what they are doing, I have to question whether they care about the Canucks at all.

I will however, acknowledge that there are a few fans that do care about the Canucks, but somehow think that supporting the Benning regime is going to benefit the team. Most of those supporters have figured out by now that this regime is godawful and relinquished their support, so I am left to assume that anyone who supports Benning doesn't actually want what's best for the Canucks.

Hell, I'm not even sure Benning wants what's best for the Canucks. No one can be THIS bad at being a GM. There are many HF posters who would be doing a better job without any training or education.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

To me, anyone who outright cheers for their team to lose, play poorly, or be scored against is absolutely a lousy fan.

It's one thing to be supportive of a full rebuild, understand that the team will lose many games as part of that process, and understand the value of a high pick - but still cheer for your team to win games when watching them. That's fair enough.

But turning on the TV to cheer for your favourite team to suck? You're a loser and a crap fan. It's like kicking yourself in the nuts to get a laugh.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
You're not alone. I watched 80+ games every year, but this year I have zero interest in this team. I haven't watched an entire Canucks game since mid-November, but I'll watch games for as long as I can before being too bored (usually ~30 minutes). But I'm still a fan, I want the team to do well, and to me that means firing the bozos running this team into the ground.

I am actually quite a bit different having watched every single game (455 now by my count) since the start of the 10-11 season when I first was able to get the Center Ice package which is rather difficult here in Germany. It even got into a routine, so I avoid any Sports related Internet pages, news items after the Canucks have played since there is a 9hr time difference and I am usually not able to watch games live but only "as live".

Since this season however its becoming more and more a torture than it is fun but i keep it going - dont ask me why, even i dont really know, maybe just because I want to keep my streak alive. :D

Heck I am even going back and travelling to VAN again this March spending a heck of money just to watch this trainwreck but this is probably more because I had so much fun last year and met many great guys while going to the game or even just in the city.

I hate myself for supporting the head office which is not helping the team at all right now, my money is pretty much showing Francesco that I like what he is doing despite I dont. I am feeling like an addict who knows thats the stuff he takes is bad but yet he spends money on it and still does it.

I thought the late 90s were bad but back then I only had the results, some updates on a weekly german hockey magazine and if I was lucky some highlights on NHL Power Week on Eurosport. Little did I know how hard it is when you have to watch the games and suffer through them.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I think I need some good suggestions for anti-Benning signs when I am there for my 5 game trip in March...like "I travelled 10,000 km to watch Benning fail" :sarcasm:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I am actually quite a bit different having watched every single game (455 now by my count) since the start of the 10-11 season when I first was able to get the Center Ice package which is rather difficult here in Germany. It even got into a routine, so I avoid any Sports related Internet pages, news items after the Canucks have played since there is a 9hr time difference and I am usually not able to watch games live but only "as live".

Since this season however its becoming more and more a torture than it is fun but i keep it going - dont ask me why, even i dont really know, maybe just because I want to keep my streak alive. :D

Heck I am even going back and travelling to VAN again this March spending a heck of money just to watch this trainwreck but this is probably more because I had so much fun last year and met many great guys while going to the game or even just in the city.

I hate myself for supporting the head office which is not helping the team at all right now, my money is pretty much showing Francesco that I like what he is doing despite I dont. I am feeling like an addict who knows thats the stuff he takes is bad but yet he spends money on it and still does it.

I thought the late 90s were bad but back then I only had the results, some updates on a weekly german hockey magazine and if I was lucky some highlights on NHL Power Week on Eurosport. Little did I know how hard it is when you have to watch the games and suffer through them.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I think I need some good suggestions for anti-Benning signs when I am there for my 5 game trip in March...like "I travelled 10,000 km to watch Benning fail" :sarcasm:
You live in Germany?

Well then I think you should make an anti-Benning sign and hike your azz up to the top of the Matterhorn in the alps. Snap a selfie with it and make that **** viral.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
You live in Germany?

Well then I think you should make an anti-Benning sign and hike your azz up to the top of the Matterhorn in the alps. Snap a selfie with it and make that **** viral.

Haha, that might actually work, though the Matterhorn is in Italy/Switzerland.

Also I dont want to generalize with my critisism of the head office. For example the VP of Sales Michael Cosentino was outstanding when I complained about the poor service of ticket master. He gave me call to settle all my issues in my ticket quest and went through every game and provided me with the best choice for tickets in my price range. Talked to him for about half an hour and he was just awesome, you could really feel that he cares for what he is doing, cant appriciate that enough. But then again its those people that I feel for, they are working their arse off and have to deal with all the stuff that Benning/Weisbrod are creating. All the hard work those people are doing is getting flushed down the toilet because folks getting upset with the high level guys that keep on screwing up.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
I read posts here and shake my head it was 10 years of just useless drafting by 2 previous management teams add the complete screw up of handling 2 star goaltenders as the topping blame who left the mess.
Benning inherited all that and a list of ntc players which ties his hands and that mess has been partly fixed .
I certainly dont support all his moves but i do think drafting is improved add 2 years from now the young players should begin to contribute well and there will be huge cap space to add .
Ive seen far worse years and i can go back far enough to watching Pat Quinn play in a Vancouver uniform im still a fan .
You have NHL hockey to watch would being Winnipeg and wishing you had a team back be better ?

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
So you think Benning fixed the NTC mess? By giving out more NTCs and overpaying for untradeable players?

Makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad