Canucks Management Discussion | Part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Even looking past Hamhuis, I mean you're the team that finished 3rd last... and you make 0 moves at the trade deadline.

Not moving Vrbata (a 30 goal, 60+ point player the year prior) doesn't get mentioned as much as the Hamhuis deal, but is arguably worse.

This upcoming draft already feels disappointing, and it should arguably be the high point of the season.

I agree not moving vrbata during the summer was a mistake, but it's hard to predict that vrbata was gonna crap the bed all year

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I agree not moving vrbata during the summer was a mistake, but it's hard to predict that vrbata was gonna crap the bed all year

Was it really truly that hard to predict a goal scorer who was publicly derided by the GM immediately following the season, who wasn't played on the top line and who had no playmaking center would struggle with performance and attitude?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
yes you can when the player gives two teams, neither of which were overly interested in him. I guess management coulda taken the crappy Chicago last minute offer.

Or they could have taken the same offer Chicago offered for Ladd and just been happy with Dano and the 1st round pick. Would have been better than nothing. You know, if we're going off of reports and such.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
How can you take some random news clipping without any credibility and make it fact as well as projecting how you feel that Nill felt as valid. Yet when someone mentions that they wanted Russel more it isn't as valid.

Also, the fact that Bleach Clean also used the fact that Dallas also didn't sign Russel as some validation that Benning screwed up on not sending Hamius there is a reach at best.

Or it's the fact people have stated the primary reason the stars preferred Russell was he was more likely to sign with Dallas. People also thought we would resign Hamhuis which I guess can still happen but looks unlikely.

yes you can when the player gives two teams, neither of which were overly interested in him. I guess management coulda taken the crappy Chicago last minute offer.

Tell that to Carolina (Staal) or Tampa (MSL) or any number of other teams that were able to trade players at a deadline with one team on the list...

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
Was it really truly that hard to predict a goal scorer who was publicly derided by the GM immediately following the season, who wasn't played on the top line and who had no playmaking center would struggle with performance and attitude?

Publicly derided? Yeah that's going to require a source. I think you just made that **** up. There were some rumors that management or ownership, I can't remember which, weren't happy with his playoff performance but nothing concrete enough to justify mailing in the following season the way he did.

Vrbata played on the 2nd line for most of his 35 goal season. His linemates Bo Horvat and Sven Baertschi were more than capable of making plays for him.

Stop making excuses for him. He put zero effort into last season. It was absolutely disgusting. There's no excuse for the level of unprofessionalism he displayed. I've never seen a Vancouver Canuck look as disengaged as he did last season. It was a huge slap in the face to everyone who paid money to watch the games.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Vrbata played on the 2nd line for most of his 35 goal season. His linemates Bo Horvat and Sven Baertschi were more than capable of making plays for him.
Essentially two rookies? uh sure.

(not to ignore the fact Vrbata should've clearly been a professional about it; guess he's the type of character that Benning is looking for...).

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Or they could have taken the same offer Chicago offered for Ladd and just been happy with Dano and the 1st round pick. Would have been better than nothing. You know, if we're going off of reports and such.

Yeah ok, you think Jim would turn down a first overall and Dano. He took a 2nd for garrison and bieksa.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
Essentially two rookies? uh sure.

(not to ignore the fact Vrbata should've clearly been a professional about it; guess he's the type of character that Benning is looking for...).

What's your point? Yes they were inexperienced but so what? They each played well defensively and made good plays. That's all that matters. Vrbata must have whiffed on a dozen tap-ins, blew even more scoring chances, and killed almost every play created by those "essentially rookie" linemates while generating squat himself. He was the anchor, not the other way around.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Benning not getting any assets back at the deadline is completely inexcusable. Teams have shown time and time again that even with one team lists they can still make trades and get assets back.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
What excuses?? Dallas wanted Russell, they valued him higher than hamhuis, if they didn't, do you honestly think Jim would not have taken the Russell deal for hamhuis?

I enjoy your posts and have been on the same side of many topics, but I have to say there is just no excuse for getting NOTHING at trade deadline for a 28th place team with impending UFAs and a stale roster.

That is just not competent managing.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If you believe that, good luck in life

I do believe that. And I'm doing very well in life. I actually understand things and I don't live in a fantasyland where, despite overwhelming evidence, I put my faith in a guy who really is an idiot.

Saying Jim Benning is anything but an awful GM despite all the evidence is like sayin OJ didn't do it. The evidence is clear as day.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
I enjoy your posts and have been on the same side of many topics, but I have to say there is just no excuse for getting NOTHING at trade deadline for a 28th place team with impending UFAs and a stale roster.

That is just not competent managing.

Would a third round pick have been fine? I agree he shoulda taken anything, even scraps from Chicago, but in this market you're damned if you do and your damned if you don't. But other than hamhuis and vrbata, the only other trade chip is Hansen who I think is more valuable here.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Benning not getting any assets back at the deadline is completely inexcusable. Teams have shown time and time again that even with one team lists they can still make trades and get assets back.

Now that it is draft time and we are the only high drafting team with no picks, the trade deadline fiasco is annoying all over again. It is kind of hard to fathom actually. I don't know if I can recall a team in our position with non returning UFAs who managed to get nothing.

Seeing Juolevi on more mocks to Canucks at 5 last day or so. Can Benning complete the troika?

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey

Luongo and his contract was traded. No more examples needed. Benning botched the TDL, if he didn't maybe the Gudbranson trade is more palatable.

Unfortunately even if the Gudbranson trade was somewhat palatable in itself, next year we have to expose one of Edler Tanev or Hutton (or expose 2 extra forwards). So god damn short sighted.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
:)
Would a third round pick have been fine? I agree he shoulda taken anything, even scraps from Chicago, but in this market you're damned if you do and your damned if you don't. But other than hamhuis and vrbata, the only other trade chip is Hansen who I think is more valuable here.

No matter what excuse they spewed at the time, it doesn't work. And yes get something, anything. We finished 28 . Now at draft time you can feel how ridiculous and unusual it is to see a team get not even a pick for Hamhuis.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

If you believe that no team offered more than a third round pick for Hamhuis then you are living in a fantasy land.

Now that it is draft time and we are the only high drafting team with no picks, the trade deadline fiasco is annoying all over again. It is kind of hard to fathom actually. I don't know if I can recall a team in our position with non returning UFAs who managed to get nothing.

Seeing Juolevi on more mocks to Canucks at 5 last day or so. Can Benning complete the troika?

I'm still waiting and seeing on Benning's drafting record but for those who believe that Benning being a very strong drafter then going into this draft with so few picks should be seen as even worse.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Luongo and his contract was traded. No more examples needed. Benning botched the TDL, if he didn't maybe the Gudbranson trade is more palatable.

Unfortunately even if the Gudbranson trade was somewhat palatable in itself, next year we have to expose one of Edler Tanev or Hutton (or expose 2 extra forwards). So god damn short sighted.

Hutton isn't eligible.

Regardless, Gudbranson is a depth defenseman at best. He's not the type of guy who's going to change a defense and help a team win games. He's a better version of Sbisa.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I don't think that we have to expose one of those players since I believe Hutton is exempt but the first part of your post is a really good point. Somehow we managed to deal Luongo on a terrible contract when he had a full NTC and only wanted to go to one team and we still managed to get back a decent middle six forward in Matthias as well as Markstrom.

Mad Brills*

they have 2 of their own picks in the top 5 rounds.

Pick 5th, 64th and 140.
That's ****ing pathetic.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
:)

No matter what excuse they spewed at the time, it doesn't work. And yes get something, anything. We finished 28 . Now at draft time you can feel how ridiculous and unusual it is to see a team get not even a pick for Hamhuis.

That's how I feel too, but I'm obviously not as critical as some, sure an extra third round pick from Chicago would be great now, but at the deadline that would have been a pr nightmare.

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
Hutton isn't eligible.

Regardless, Gudbranson is a depth defenseman at best. He's not the type of guy who's going to change a defense and help a team win games. He's a better version of Sbisa.

You guys need to find some middle ground on Benning. You both sound ridiculous. Stop presenting opinions as facts or at least support it with something of substance.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
If you believe that no team offered more than a third round pick for Hamhuis then you are living in a fantasy land.

I'm still waiting and seeing on Benning's drafting record but for those who believe that Benning being a very strong drafter then going into this draft with so few picks should be seen as even worse.

There just seems to be no vision and no long term plan. Giving up picks and making short term moves to " be competitive and make the playoffs". I have to think ownership's involvement is part of the problem. Many on here could be right that Benning is just no good at being a GM, but the thing that doesn't add up to me is that he is a scout at heart who lives for the draft. It seems to me that Benning's own personal preference would be to build through the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad