Post-Game Talk: Canucks lose to Blue Jackets | 3-4 in OT (Horvat, Pettersson, Horvat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Wouldn't be surprised at all if Horvat and Boeser get moved to Columbus for Sillinger and Laine by the end of the game.
Bigger than that
Horvat, Garland and Boeser with retention on all for Sillinger and Laine.
50% on Horvat - 2.75 mil
25% on Garland - 1.225 mil
25% on Boeser - 1.66 mil
Opening up an extra 1.7 mil in cap space

Why not? Gets a little cap control, Age group closer together and some space for the TDL
Ya they carry 2.8 mil for Boeser and Garland for the next 3 years BUT they have been carrying more than that for years now in Luongo alone

With the retention I might want a mid pick or two thrown in as well

Wrong thread, this should be in GM stuff

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Personally don’t think any team should have to start the season with more than 3 games on the road before getting a home date.

Feel like it can set you back hard early.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The role players and depth has been fine so far; Borroughs, Schenn, Podkolzin, Garland, Lazar, Joshua etc. have played good. It’s the Stars that have to really step it up; Miller, Horvat, Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser need to be much better especially 5-on-5 and defensively, and not get scored on short handed. PK is atrocious and needs to be much better.

I wouldn't lump Pettersson in there. He has 3 ES points through 3 games and is a +2 at ES. And wasn't really the goat on the SHGs. That line has been solid despite not really having a quality 3rd option with Pettersson and Kuzmenko. Absolutely dominated in terms of possession/scoring chance shares.

His shooting on the PP drives me nuts but he's been very good so far.

Miller, Hughes, Boeser need to be way better. Horvat stunk in the first 2 games but I thought he was much better yesterday.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Personally don’t think any team should have to start the season with more than 3 games on the road before getting a home date.

It's our 4th year in a row starting with a multi-game road trip. And the year before that we had 1 home game followed by a 6-game Eastern trip.

And agreed - it's an absolutely brutal way to start the season.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I wouldn't lump Pettersson in there. He has 3 ES points through 3 games and is a +2 at ES. And wasn't really the goat on the SHGs. That line has been solid despite not really having a quality 3rd option with Pettersson and Kuzmenko. Absolutely dominated in terms of possession/scoring chance shares.

His shooting on the PP drives me nuts but he's been very good so far.

Miller, Hughes, Boeser need to be way better. Horvat stunk in the first 2 games but I thought he was much better yesterday.
Pettersson has definitely been better than the players mentioned, was reluctant at first to include him then remembered he had a couple careless turnovers in the offensive zone last game which are not characteristic of him, believe he can still raise his game another notch. As for the other Stars mentioned not sure where to begin, massive improvement is needed.

Reactions: mathonwy

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Conversely, a team on the road gets to work out its deficiencies and kinks without the glare of fans/media..Also, one would think that it would help with team bonding.

We had almost the identical opening schedule last year, which we also shit the bed on...It should be noted that the Flames also had the long eastern swing to start the season last year, and they quietly went under the radar and won almost every game.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pettersson has definitely been better than the players mentioned, was reluctant at first to include him then remembered he had a couple careless turnovers in the offensive zone last game which are not characteristic of him, believe he can still raise his game another notch. As for the other Stars mentioned not sure where to begin, massive improvement is needed.

I think he has a few things he can tidy up and hasn't looked quite as dynamic as he did at times at the end of last season (or in the preseason). But overall Pettersson-Kuzmenko are rocking like a 70% corsi and scoring chance share so far. Again, tiny sample size but that line is playing at the right end of the rink.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Its completely conceivable that the Canucks could go 0-4 here..The special teams are back to being shite, and there is obviously a problem with cohesive structure among the players.

The talent, character and ability are there...but i'm not convinced they'll turn it around tonight.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Doing renovations to Rogers Arena does that. This also includes the new box suites at the former camera spot to bring in more $$$.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Whenever teams struggle at home all the players say they're excited to get back out on the road where they can spend time together and build some chemistry.

Starting on the road isn't easy, but it's absolutely not an excuse for blowing games the way they have been.

Just hold a lead ffs.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Its completely conceivable that the Canucks could go 0-4 here..The special teams are back to being shite, and there is obviously a problem with cohesive structure among the players.

The talent, character and ability are there...but i'm not convinced they'll turn it around tonight.
Ahh, to be a fly on the wall in the dressing room. I wonder if the paint was blistering.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Ahh, to be a fly on the wall in the dressing room. I wonder if the paint was blistering.
When Boudreau joined the team last season, he applied honey to build up the players lost confidence, and make the game fun again...I wouldnt be surprised if he's applying the vinegar right now, because there is a distinct lack of focus and discipline.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

I think the first thing is they need to adjust the personnel. Mikheyev and Podz should be your main wingers killing penalties. I guess Pettersson would classify as a winger as well for PK purposes because he can’t take faceoffs, so you’re automatically stuck with two of Lazar + Horvat/Miller. Really curious about Aman as a PKer as well.

It bothers me we didn’t target a Manny Malhotra type this summer. It was such a glaring need. Would allow for Miller to be back on the wing and give us a true matchup guy. Throw Pearson and Mikheyev on the wings and play the shit out of that line at ES.

Instead you are actively getting the worst possible version of JT because of his deployment. If they just put him on the wing in easier matchups and no PK, you’d have a tough scoring winger capable of 100 points.

On an off note, can anyone guess who the best PKing forward is of the last three years (statistically speaking)?

Connor McDavid. 30 MP 4v5, only 2!!!! XGA/60. XGF/60 of 0.9. That is such an insane stat.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think the first thing is they need to adjust the personnel. Mikheyev and Podz should be your main wingers killing penalties. I guess Pettersson would classify as a winger as well for PK purposes because he can’t take faceoffs, so you’re automatically stuck with two of Lazar + Horvat/Miller. Really curious about Aman as a PKer as well.

It bothers me we didn’t target a Manny Malhotra type this summer. It was such a glaring need. Would allow for Miller to be back on the wing and give us a true matchup guy. Throw Pearson and Mikheyev on the wings and play the shit out of that line at ES.

Instead you are actively getting the worst possible version of JT because of his deployment. If they just put him on the wing in easier matchups and no PK, you’d have a tough scoring winger capable of 100 points.

On an off note, can anyone guess who the best PKing forward is of the last three years (statistically speaking)?

Connor McDavid. 30 MP 4v5, only 2!!!! XGA/60. XGF/60 of 0.9. That is such an insane stat.
They have to do something with the Pk because its the worst in the league again..I like the idea of having EP and Mikheyev on the PK (would definitely be getting some SH goals there).

They cant get Mikheyev on the roster soon enough, and I dont know whats happening with JT this season..?..We're getting the Dr Jekyll version so far.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Especially not with any back to backs and 3 time zones. It's absolutely absurd. And we started in Edmonton to then go to the East Coast? Uhh whaaat?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Especially not with any back to backs and 3 time zones. It's absolutely absurd. And we started in Edmonton to then go to the East Coast? Uhh whaaat?

Some of the minor details this off-season are just bizarre. The team is on an extended road trip to start the year because they are doing renovations. Did you not have a whole off-season to take care of that?

Even the "we'll have something figured out soon" with the jersey sponsor is weird. Did everyone go on vacation for 5 months?

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
It's hard to even point at specific players on the PK, some of these goals are scored within seconds.

It's simple zone defense, cover this area, don't allow this pass. Real DAMN SIMPLE. Should be the easiest thing to at least be mediocre at.

The guy who has been on for every goal on the worst PK is Demko though, gotta pump that SH S% way up. "Goalie needs to be your best penalty killer"

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Some of the minor details this off-season are just bizarre. The team is on an extended road trip to start the year because they are doing renovations. Did you not have a whole off-season to take care of that?

Even the "we'll have something figured out soon" with the jersey sponsor is weird. Did everyone go on vacation for 5 months?
Personally, I want to know wtf is Allvin.

He’s suppose to be the GM but been almost non existent.

I understand it was the summer and Rutherford is more well known and likes to speak, but it does not give me confidence he’s essentially MIA.

The offseason and start to the season has not been good to put it mildly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad