Post-Game Talk: Canucks lose to Blue Jackets | 3-4 in OT (Horvat, Pettersson, Horvat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If Rathbone doesnt get this game I'm going to f'n lose it.

I have nothing against Juulsen. I think he's played well in his stints with the club last year and this year.

But...why on earth is Rathbone up with the team if he's not going to play? If you aren't going to play him, send him to Abbotsford so he can play. I just don't get it.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Literally the only two lineup changes they can make.
Dreger was saying yesterday before the Caps game that Mikheyev was expected to play today.

I'm thinking either Hoglander or Joshua come out. Based on lineup configuration, I'd bet Hoglander.

Would also gather maybe Rathbone dresses over Juulsen. But as you said, those are both pretty big no brainers.

Reactions: mathonwy

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Dreger was saying yesterday before the Caps game that Mikheyev was expected to play today.

I'm thinking either Hoglander or Joshua come out. Based on lineup configuration, I'd bet Hoglander.

Would also gather maybe Rathbone dresses over Juulsen. But as you said, those are both pretty big no brainers.

Yesterday they had Lazar in Mikheyev's spot during line rushes. It would be very Boudreau of him to scratch Hoglander after he's finally getting his game back.

Unless there's another injury, they have two extra players and if Mikheyev can't go it's literally either Stillman or Juulsen for Rathbone.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Many years ago a Vancouver team was staggering around losing much like this, then there was a meeting, not just the players but the meeting was called by the GM right after blowing another game.
Burke said his piece and then left the players to themselves.
Now whatever was said altered the team, they did not become a defensive juggernaut but it was the start of the West Coast Express years and they finished the season with close to the best record in the NHL.
They lost out to Detroit in the playoffs but.

The lads had a players only meeting after this collapse yesterday, this is not a first with this group but these kind of things can spark a change.

Columbus is a team with injuries to some star core players and they have struggled to score goals and they are bleeding goals.

They may be a team that is squeezing their sticks harder than the Canucks

Columbus has all the advantages today
They have a scheduled win, playing a team that played then traveled last night
Rested and at home
Johnny Gaudreau has more points against the Canucks than any other team

The Canucks are better at scoring
Believe it or not the PP at 14% is better than Columbus

The Canuck "luck" always seems to work backwards, they should be in tough but they often win the one's like this.

What the heck, lets call it a blowout for the Nux.

Maybe this is a future trading partner too.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
They need to play like their asses are on fire. Enough is enough. Give me a full, 60-minute effort and have our special teams not look abysmal.
I felt like they did. They were absolutely dominating midway through the third even after they gave up the PP goal.

A dumb defensive play by Pearson with a bit of a whiff from Demko, It's 4-4.
OEL, Hughes and Boeser looking like headless chickens, 5-4
OEL gets caught up ice and Petey and Hoglander get crossed up down low, 6-4, game over.

The miscues defensively haven't changed. This team isn't good enough on the back end, and they don't have the group up front to defend by committee. Changes are needed to this group.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Like the last three games, completely unrelated to anything at all, here's a list of players worth keeping an eye on:

Jack Roslovic, Kent Johnson, Cole Sillinger, Liam Foudy, Nick Blankenburg, and Andrew Peeke.

Adam Boqvist is a healthy scratch.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Like the last three games, completely unrelated to anything at all, here's a list of players worth keeping an eye on:

Jack Roslovic, Kent Johnson, Cole Sillinger, Liam Foudy, Nick Blankenburg, and Andrew Peeke.

Adam Boqvist is a healthy scratch.
I couldn't remember, so I checked: Boqvist shoots right.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I couldn't remember, so I checked: Boqvist shoots right.

He's on my list but is being scratched for Blankenburg. Here's the full list:

Jack RoslovicC/RW4.0m / 2y (UFA)25yoNHL
Kent JohnsonC/LW0.925m / 2y (RFA)19yoNHL
Cole SillingerC0.925m / 2y (RFA)19yoNHL
Liam FoudyC/LW/RW0.762m / 2y (RFA)22yoNHL
Adam BoqvistRD2.6m / 3y (RFA)22yoNHL
Nick BlankenburgRD0.825m / 2y (RFA)24yoNHL
Andrew PeekeRD0.787m (2.75m / 3y (UFA)24yoNHL

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

Hopefully it's Joshua, he's been dreadful.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
The Caps looked pretty brutal themselves, but the Canucks found a way.

The capitals looked weird, i mean they looked bad structurally and I was even saying after not scoring on three 2 on 1's van is asking for trouble, you have to bury some of those, but the caps played extremely hard like they were worried someone could get fired or moved as well if things didnt get better, even if it was a mess. They also played on the edge and crossed the line a number of times, I think they should have been in the box more.

Not sure what team to compare them to, the jets almost played that way last year, they were a mess, but played hard and on the edge. Im also wondering if teams are simply playing that way against the canucks, looking at the lineup saying that if you keep pummeling them they will fold.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
The role players and depth has been fine so far; Borroughs, Schenn, Podkolzin, Garland, Lazar, Joshua etc. have played good. It’s the Stars that have to really step it up; Miller, Horvat, Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser need to be much better especially 5-on-5 and defensively, and not get scored on short handed. PK is atrocious and needs to be much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad