Post-Game Talk: Canucks lose 5-2: Rangers use backup goalie. It was super effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Is it 2014 yet? I want to see this guy

Shinkaruk,%20Hunter2129.JPG

So much this.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
The results up until we are knocked out of the playoffs, or crash hard and don't even make the playoffs, don't matter. It's a cold hard truth and it's too bad we can't just sim game 29 or whatever we're at, until 82.

And to the fans that think that this is the end of the world, the team will still be here next season. In case you've lost all perspective.

We've seen that there is no true mould or definite criteria to winning the SC. So just roll with what we have and let it be. FFS. It'd be pretty cool for Vancouver to get another professional sports team (CFL + MLS don't really count) to see if the crazy fan base is only attributed to hockey or just everything.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Not to sound awful but I'm kind of hoping our prospects make the team before they're AHL eligible. I don't have much faith in our AHL team being able to develop prospects anymore.

It has developed its fair share of players. Is it because Utica is currently sitting in last place? If so, I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Hodgson developed in our system well enough, Schroeder as well. Tanev. Schneider. I don't know how far back you're talking here. I'd suggest there's been a lack of good players coming up through the system mainly due to the fact that Gillis has traded high picks to make playoff runs.

The only guys that I would have expected to do better would be Rodin and Jensen. The rest are pretty much dregs. Rodin may have gotten off track due to injuries, not sure what Jensen's story is.

If this organization wants to get better on the prospect side of things, they need to get more 1st and 2nd round picks. They've made good picks with the 1st rounders, the 2nd round picks need to stop being so "cute".

I'm curious what you're reasoning is?

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
It has developed its fair share of players. Is it because Utica is currently sitting in last place? If so, I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Hodgson developed in our system well enough, Schroeder as well. Tanev. Schneider. I don't know how far back you're talking here. I'd suggest there's been a lack of good players coming up through the system mainly due to the fact that Gillis has traded high picks to make playoff runs.

The only guys that I would have expected to do better would be Rodin and Jensen. The rest are pretty much dregs. Rodin may have gotten off track due to injuries, not sure what Jensen's story is.

If this organization wants to get better on the prospect side of things, they need to get more 1st and 2nd round picks. They've made good picks with the 1st rounders, the 2nd round picks need to stop being so "cute".

I'm curious what you're reasoning is?

Well both Jensen and Rodin performed well at every level except our AHL team(and Rodin is thriving now that he's left as well) Maybe they're both just "Euro" players, maybe not. Schroeder it's still too early to tell what will happen, but he hasn't raised any eyebrows despite having spent years developing there.

It's not something definitive I can point to, but it's been some time that an impact player has been developed as a result of going through our "system".

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
Dunno why people are clamoring for Shinkaruk. I'd say he's a Canuck the season after next. Horvat will make the team next season.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Dunno why people are clamoring for Shinkaruk. I'd say he's a Canuck the season after next. Horvat will make the team next season.

based on the seasons they are putting together right now in junior, absolutely

horvat is a straight out ohl stud at the moment, can't wait to see how he does at the world juniors

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
based on the seasons they are putting together right now in junior, absolutely

horvat is a straight out ohl stud at the moment, can't wait to see how he does at the world juniors

He has the developmental fast-track CHL year. Major piece of a powerhouse team, World Jr. shoe in, guaranteed Memorial Cup appearance.

Really glad we sent him back.

richardsequalscup*

Scoring a lot of points in the OHL is not a big deal. Having 37 points in 24 games does not make you an OHL stud. I see Torts has ruined your PP already. Didn't like the hire from day one for the Canucks.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
This is off topic but since people are talking about Horvat and Shinkaruk… any chance both make the World Junior team? few weeks away it would be something cool to look forward to.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
Scoring a lot of points in the OHL is not a big deal. Having 37 points in 24 games does not make you an OHL stud. I see Torts has ruined your PP already. Didn't like the hire from day one for the Canucks.

Showing progression is a big deal, though. It's true that OHL points don't really mean anything in the long run, but Horvat is clearly on another level than he was last season. It's a step you want to see, and he's going to play a lot of big games this season.

Also, his November production definitely was "OHL stud" stuff. He scored 24 points in 13 games in November. After a somewhat slow start (13 points in his first 11 games), he has turned it on significantly.

To put his November pace into perspective, if kept up over an entire 68 games OHL season it would equate to a 125 point season. Obviously, a 125 point season isn't going to happen, but it sheds light on just how good he was this month.

This is off topic but since people are talking about Horvat and Shinkaruk… any chance both make the World Junior team? few weeks away it would be something cool to look forward to.

Horvat has to be an absolute lock at this point. Shinkaruk I'm not sure about. His season so far isn't helping his chances.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

I would say Horvat's a lock at this point; he's been playing extremely well and Team Canada has to have noticed that as well. He plays a well-rounded game and is versatile so he can either be brought in as a top-6 forward or even a bottom-6 player as either C or LW.

Shinkaruk, however, is a little tricky. Great talent and was projected to safely make the team before the season but a slow start and a hip injury has hampered him so he's on the fence. He's competing for a spot as a top-6 forward since Team Canada seems to like taking top-6 skill guys and bottom-6 defensive guys/grinders so he has his work cut out for him.

Gaunce should also in the mix. He's had a solid campaign thus far and was invited to the summer camp along with the other two and should make it to the selection camp as well.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Not a good game by the team at all but sometimes crapola happens.

Despite what Luongo says, low blocker off a turnover and two deflections are entirely defensible. If Kreider makes that shot against any other goalie it probably goes in.

You guys act like deflections are easy to save or something. Why do you think teams try so hard to get tips?

Lu has been good, not great. But this game means nothing, this is a typical 'all the bounces are against us' game. Lack gave up another deflection when he came in.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I agree. Eventually we score more goals, get more saves, win more games.

You agree! Based on what? Just because the team has lost many games in many way shouldn't give you comfort. There is absolutely no evidence of getting better or making needed changes. Today we saw another 1 goal performance (2, i know - but by that time NY was just trying to get out unscathed).

You're displaying blind faith and nothing more.

It's not blind faith at all.

I'm 100% certain our shooting percentage will improve (score more goals)

I'm also 100% sure Lu can play better and 90% sure he will (get more saves)

That will have us win more games.

I think that's what they call "reasoning" but I can't be sure.

Last edited:

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
You guys act like deflections are easy to save or something. Why do you think teams try so hard to get tips?

If you track the puck to the tip and square up to it they are pretty easy to stop. At least a low percentage actually find the net. Lu did neither on the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad