Post-Game Talk: Canucks lose 5-2: Rangers use backup goalie. It was super effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
You're not gonna catch me piling on with the criticism. To my eyes the Canucks have played better in November than they did in October, but the bounces and the chemistry are just a little off. I thought this one and the Florida game were the only real bad games they've had this month.

They still weren't terrible, couple of things go differently and it's a different game. Kesler loses the puck on a breakaway, puck goes on end for Kassian just inside the blueline. Meanwhile a couple bounces for NYR lead to goals on tip-ins right in close. Bam, 2-0 at the intermission and it seemed like everyone knew that was it right there.

If there's a criticism to be made, it's that the style they are playing tends to tight games, games where luck and bounces can make a big difference in the result. You play that style where it's always close, even if it's not close on the scoreboard it's a tight game where it seems like it could go either way based on whether a break or two goes for you or against you, then you're at the mercy of those breaks, and the west is too good, the Pacific is to good, and the whole situation is too tight to be playing in a way where you're throwing yourself on the mercy of getting bounces, you gotta make things happen.

Hal 9000*

I agree. Eventually we score more goals, get more saves, win more games.

You agree! Based on what? Just because the team has lost many games in many way shouldn't give you comfort. There is absolutely no evidence of getting better or making needed changes. Today we saw another 1 goal performance (2, i know - but by that time NY was just trying to get out unscathed).

You're displaying blind faith and nothing more.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
This team can win with the current lineup if they're willing to put in the effort and out work the other team, lately just haven't been.
Almost worked in the CHI game but a few mistakes and 9 seconds and that it.
Don't have the players for a fancy play puck possession outscoring team.

Lundface*

I find it really curious that Luongo's biggest fans seem to be the biggest Sedin critics on this site..Is it a coping mechanism?

Henrik Sedin 6.1 million - 7th out of all centers in the league in points. ( behind Crosby 8.7 caphit ( holy just realized 12 million real dollars:amazed:), Malkin 8.7 million caphit (soon to be 9.5), Steen 3.362 caphit, Getzlaf 8.25 caphit, Tavares 5.5 caphit, Thornton 7.0 million dollar caphit

Daniel Sedin 6.1 million- 4th out of all left wingers in the league in points. (behind only Zetterberg (cap circumventing 6.083 caphit, Ovechkin 9.538 caphit, Kuntiz 3.75 caphit playing next to Crosby)

Are these really the guys people want to be criticizing? They can be even better (then again the same people pretended to be geniuses claiming they weren't 1st liners or can't produce before they won Art Ross/MVP's and have only now started the to come out the woodwork again sadly) but to claim they are anywhere near the teams problem to put it kindly is very, very sad.

I don't mind fans criticizing players at all, no player is above it. But for comparison look at the guys you are defending.

Kesler 5.0 million - 38th for centers in scoring- have to compare him to first liner's now, he's played beside the Sedins most of the year on the top line and top pp. I won't name everyone, but his company includes Marcus Johansson, Ryan Johansen, David Legwand and he's one point up on Santorelli, Wingels, Bonino, Roy etc

- I know some poster have an emotional attachment to him so I'm not gonna attack him. But I will tell you its a crutch and cop out if you pretend he's doing an amazing job defensively...news flash he hasn't. I won't pile it on but rather I'll give you a chance to defend him based on your own observations of his play. Recently in my opinion he's been OK defensively...the effort is there no doubt, but he is often out of place, there have been way too many times this season where he isn't cutting the passing lanes leading to goals (if you want a recent example look at Richards goal the other night...him and Hamhuis also let one through today as well but this wasn't so bad.)

And then there's Luongo-

Luongo- 5.33 million -He's tied for 25th in sv% amongst goalies with more than 10 games played. This has been beaten to death so I won't go into it anymore, but considering there's only 30 teams he's comfortably below even average in his performance.

If you want to defend your favorite player by all means go ahead. But to try and deflect it onto players that actually earn their money only serves to make you look un intelligent.

Outside99*

Agreed. I'll say it again - Luongo is leading the league in GP as of now. We know his athleticism isn't up there anymore, so why is he logging prime-years minutes?

This seems to be Torts' modus operandi - play 'em 'til they drop.

Hal 9000*

I find it really curious that Luongo's biggest fans seem to be the biggest Sedin critics on this site..Is it a coping mechanism?

Henrik Sedin 6.1 million - 7th out of all centers in the league in points. ( behind Crosby 8.7 caphit ( holy just realized 12 million real dollars:amazed:), Malkin 8.7 million caphit (soon to be 9.5), Steen 3.362 caphit, Getzlaf 8.25 caphit, Tavares 5.5 caphit, Thornton 7.0 million dollar caphit

Daniel Sedin 6.1 million- 4th out of all left wingers in the league in points. (behind only Zetterberg (cap circumventing 6.083 caphit, Ovechkin 9.538 caphit, Kuntiz 3.75 caphit playing next to Crosby)

Are these really the guys people want to be criticizing? They can be even better (then again the same people pretended to be geniuses claiming they weren't 1st liners or can't produce before they won Art Ross/MVP's and have only now started the to come out the woodwork again sadly) but to claim they are anywhere near the teams problem to put it kindly is very, very sad.

I don't mind fans criticizing players at all, no player is above it. But for comparison look at the guys you are defending.

Kesler 5.0 million - 38th for centers in scoring- have to compare him to first liner's now, he's played beside the Sedins most of the year on the top line and top pp. I won't name everyone, but his company includes Marcus Johansson, Ryan Johansen, David Legwand and he's one point up on Santorelli, Wingels, Bonino, Roy etc

- I know some poster have an emotional attachment to him so I'm not gonna attack him. But I will tell you its a crutch and cop out if you pretend he's doing an amazing job defensively...news flash he hasn't. I won't pile it on but rather I'll give you a chance to defend him based on your own observations of his play. Recently in my opinion he's been OK defensively...the effort is there no doubt, but he is often out of place, there have been way too many times this season where he isn't cutting the passing lanes leading to goals (if you want a recent example look at Richards goal the other night...him and Hamhuis also let one through today as well but this wasn't so bad.)

And then there's Luongo-

Luongo- 5.33 million -He's tied for 25th in sv% amongst goalies with more than 10 games played. This has been beaten to death so I won't go into it anymore, but considering there's only 30 teams he's comfortably below even average in his performance.

If you want to defend your favorite player by all means go ahead. But to try and deflect it onto players that actually earn their money only serves to make you look un intelligent.

If you're referring to me, then you just don't have all the facts. I'm not a Sedin critic and Luongo is not my favourite player. The Sedins are past their prime - plain and simple. No goalie is going to save this team, that's why i was in favour of moving Schneider, hoping that he'd return something to buildd on.

However, if we had Perry/Getzlaf or Crosby/Kunitz and Luongo in goal, we'd be a better team than if we had the Sedins and Schneider…or any other goalie.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Sedins have been star players and good people but with 4 yrs signing and soon to be in mid-30 they are no longer capable to lead team to cup.Will be good players in future but days of being elite are near the end

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Lol this is gold. Sedins create the few chances on offense this game out of their entire team and suddenly "they're past their prime." Even when I was watching the game hopped up on pills I could see that the Sedins generated some good chances when it was a 0-0 game.

Other than that, this was a pretty ugly game. Kesler's line (and Kesler especially) did nothing of worth the entire game except for a few good defensive reads in their own end. I didn't think our defence was completely terrible though the few misread defensive assignments (like Tanev on Kreider) and just braindead moments (Edler completely failing to clear the puck at the blueline) led to the few chances the Rangers completely capitalized on. It didn't help that Luongo got outplayed by the worse of the Talbots in the league. Burrows just can't buy a goal, especially with a few good chances out front. Our penalty kill took a night (afternoon) off also though I'm not too worried about that as the penalty kill has been excellent for the most part of the season.

As for our scoring, Burrows and Kesler desperately need to get going if the Canucks are going to make the playoffs. Edler needs to regain some semblance of his old form, even that of his pre-suspension play, where he wasn't bobbling pucks and making ill informed passes.

Watching Torts' post presser, I agree with everything he's assessed of this game. Especially with the inability to buy that first goal.

It's also good to see that Torts isn't blowing off the media. He's given some good well-thought responses even some frustrating losses.

Wetcoaster

I agree. Eventually we score more goals, get more saves, win more games.
That seemed to be the message from Tortorella post-game noting they had payed very well and lost some games.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
The Sedins appear to be invincible and beyond blame. Nobody cares that they've played like **** since they signed their extensions.

Hilarious. They dominate possession, put up points, kill penalties, but no lets blame the only ****ing players doing ****. And keep making excuses for our 5.3 million dollar goalie who's getting outplayed by backups on a nightly basis.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
My theory on why y2k hates the Sedins so much stands currently at that their 1.5 million dollar donation saved the life of someone who used to pick on him in the schoolyard. Can't really think of an alternative at the moment.

Outside99*

Just saw the gif of Torts tearing Edler a new one. Wonder who the victim will be tomorrow?

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Just saw the gif of Torts tearing Edler a new one. Wonder who the victim will be tomorrow?

Yes, I just saw that as well. Looked identical to when he was giving it to Hansen. Though, to be frank, Edler has made too many boneheaded decisions out there.

John Bender*

my theory on why y2k hates the sedins so much stands currently at that their 1.5 million dollar donation saved the life of someone who used to pick on him in the schoolyard. Can't really think of an alternative at the moment.

lol.

Outside99*

Yes, I just saw that as well. Looked identical to when he was giving it to Hansen. Though, to be frank, Edler has made too many boneheaded decisions out there.

Uncannily so. Reaction was quite different though - Edler was pissed (at Torts) whereas Hansen was ready to crawl under the bench.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
While Daniel has declined a bit, the Sedins aren't the problem. We will never see Luongo in Vezina form again but he isn't the problem.He hasn't won 'us' very many games but he hasn't lost any either. He is getting old and he isn't what he used to be. Still boggles my mind Gillis didn't trade him ASAP.

The problem is secondary scoring. I still think the 2nd unit on the PP has no goals still. If the Sedins don't score the chances of the Nucks losing is very high. Kesler isn't producing offensively unless he is with the Twins.

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
Is it 2014 yet? I want to see this guy

Shinkaruk,%20Hunter2129.JPG

Brenton Williams

Feb 6, 2006
Based on how we have played against playoff teams this year what makes you think this has any potential to be a possibility?

We've played quite well against the best teams in the league.

The results obviously haven't been there, but the play has.

The Optimist

Jun 5, 2009
2754 days of hell
We've played quite well against the best teams in the league.

The results obviously haven't been there, but the play has.

I prefer watching this years teams to those of years past, even if the results aren't as flattering.

This year the team is going balls to the wall and creating tons of chances and dominating shift after shift. No more lackluster play! Furthermore, they aren't being pushed around physically. They are quite possibly top 10 in toughness this year - and it's refreshing to see. Finally, they've really toned down the diving.

Much better on ice product this year. I watch hockey cause I enjoy it, and despite the losses this team is actually making me smile at times.

Having said that, a few more wins would be nice but they will come. Still lots of games left to be played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad