Dreger: Canucks looking to trade for top 6 winger

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Wasn't Toffoli just insurance because Boeser was hurt? Or was he always seen as long term? I think they should be trying to shore up their defense before looking for another winger.
IMO Benning gave up his top centre prospect (Madden) and a second for Tofu. That’s a lot for s team on the build to give up for a rental, no?

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
If the Canucks are out of the playoff race close to the deadline, trading Schmidt might make sense. But not right now, our defense is already mediocre.

There’s no way the Canucks should move Schmidt.

he is such a good player I’ve been super impressed. He reminds me of a more dynamic Dan Hamhuis.

He is only 29 if we trade him we’d be spending the next years looking for someone like him.

he fits the core and will be a massive asset when Canucks window is open.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Elder will 100% be resigned after the ED. At least one of Raftery, Rathbone, chatfield, brisebois will make the jump. Who knows what happens with Hamonic, I could see him back.

9 million opens up on d, more than enough to add one of the rookies and bring back Edler and an improvement on Hamonic if needed.

Good luck with your "hope one of these guys work" strategy.

Reactions: Son of Petter

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Good luck with your "hope one of these guys work" strategy.
When you have 4 nhl ready d prospects, 2 of which are highly regarded, I think it is a reasonably safe bet. I really am ok with pencilling in Raftery or Rathbone on the bottom pair next year.

or the bigger wild card being Tryamkin, but I am not factoring that in anywhere.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Wasn't Toffoli just insurance because Boeser was hurt? Or was he always seen as long term? I think they should be trying to shore up their defense before looking for another winger.
Bottom line is that both positions still need to be addressed. My main point is Canucks continue to chase to fill needs. Had a small glimpse of what our top 6 could be. Now we have a hole there and on D. One step forward, 2 steps back...

And this isn’t to take anything away from Hoglander. I think we’ve just expedited this to fill a need. He could be the player that does round out our top 6 for years to come but just feels a bit forced at the moment. Nevermind, this whole notion of Virtanen stepping into that spot (pipe dream that will not pan out).

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
IMO Benning gave up his top centre prospect (Madden) and a second for Tofu. That’s a lot for s team on the build to give up for a rental, no?
We are past the rebuild stage, we are at the "give our young guys everything they need to succeed" part of it all. Getting Toffoli showed the team that management believes in them and that they are able to compete. Taking Vegas to G7 showed that is where we are. Don't forget that teams like TB and COL( I think even CHI) took a step back after the young guys helped their team move forward before being power houses. Losing Madden was fine tbh, sure I would've liked something more long term, but stuff happens and our prospect cupboards are still strong. Our top 6 is young and bottom 6 are cheap to trade for when our bad contracts expire.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

he is such a good player I’ve been super impressed. He reminds me of a more dynamic Dan Hamhuis.

He is only 29 if we trade him we’d be spending the next years looking for someone like him.

I would trade Schmidt for a young, game breaking player.

So, really, just a complete overpayment I couldn't propose here without being ripped apart.

But I see there being a way, just not a likely one.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Seeing Leivo making 875k in Calgary and Vancouver poor bottom six depth makes you wonder why they didn't resign him?

Leivo - Gaudette - Virtanen is a decent third line.

Reactions: Index and Nightrain

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Who are some overpaid (not to the extent of Eriksson, Okposo, Skinner, etc) wingers that are signed for 3 years or less? I mean Kessel is one, VanRymsdyk on Philly? Johansson?

Not an awful player, or an Eriksson kind of swap, but a team with a player being overpaid for a 2W or 3C role with a medium term that we could use to upgrade one of our less than stellar contracts. Say Myers+, or where with a hockey trade we could include Roussel or Beagle as a cap offset. I think if Miller doesn't miraculously fix our offense after the last few games, these would the types of trades looking into.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

Nah, I would look at offers for him. If we can get a younger top 4 d/young d with top 4 potential it could make sense.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
I could see Myers taken in the ED TBH.

We can only hope. Next year's UFA market should have some reasonable deals as well; I don't expect any cap increase until '23.

But Benning will probably go spend 5 million on the 3rd line centre of whoever wins the cup this year. Wish I was joking. What a boondoggle of a bottom six the Canucks have.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
We can only hope. Next year's UFA market should have some reasonable deals as well; I don't expect any cap increase until '23.

But Benning will probably go spend 5 million on the 3rd line centre of whoever wins the cup this year. Wish I was joking. What a boondoggle of a bottom six the Canucks have.
I doubt that, but we do need to upgrade on Gaudette IMO. I also see JV potentially traded this year as well. If we continue to play this poorly, I really hope that we don't make a big trade to improve, but to get Sutter and Pearsons value up in order to trade them for as much as possible come the TDL.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Choice of rust or zucker for a 3/4/5 D.

Pens need help on back end. Both wingers are capable just off to a poor start.

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
We need a new GM so frickin bad. Wasting all the ELC years of Petey and Quinn, what a buffoon.

Teams winning cups when their studs are on ELCs are the exception not the norm.

Most teams waste the ELC years of their studs.

They have good players on ELC but rarely do they have their franchise players on ELC.

Impact Players on ELC on cup teams.

Tampa - Cirelli, Sergachev
St. Louis - Robert Thomas
Washington - Vrana
Pit- Guentzel
Pit - Maata,
Blackhawks - Saad
Kings - Tofolli , Pearson

Etc...

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Kyle Palmieri and Will Butcher for ...???
Looking for a D or winger in the 19-25 year old range in return to the Devils.
Or is this counter productive for the Canucks unless they want an established 25-30 goal winger in Palms.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Nah, I would look at offers for him. If we can get a younger top 4 d/young d with top 4 potential it could make sense.
Isnt Schimidt be one of the last player the Canucks should move ? Pettersson Hughes obvious untouchables along with Boeser Podkolzin , then Hoglander and Rathbone as the others? Id group Schmidt in with the Podkolzin and Boeser level of "should not move"?
Yes Schmidt would have good value , but is he not very important piece on D ?
Id love him in NJ but no clue what the devils would have of any interest .

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Sure but most GMs usually also insulate their good young players with actual NHL talent too. Don't want to turn this into a Benning thread but he is trash. I'm just glad we have our 1st this year.

They have good players on ELC but rarely do they have their franchise players on ELC.

Washington - Vrana
Pit- Guentzel
Pit - Maata,
Blackhawks - Saad

Etc...

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Washington - Vrana
Pit- Guentzel
Pit - Maata,
Blackhawks - Saad

Etc...
The point is that the teams cap management is brutal and if they can barely scrape together what they have now, while their two best players are their cheapest, how are they expected to magically become that contending team when they're cost goes up considerably.

Blackhawks crew who just missed your list for some reason, went to a conference final and won a cup with Kane and Toews on ELC's. The Kings won the cup one year after Doughty's ELC expired (twice in 3 years). Do you see the Canucks having that ability next season? Awfully rosey glasses if you do.

When ELC's are referenced it's because it should be easier after a half decade in the leagues basement to fit a competitive roster together while your kids are on ELC's and the job gets harder when they aren't, not that it's a failure if they don't. Anyways, thats just a bit of a pet peeve of mine where people misinterpret the actual point or just add a red herring that people aren't actually arguing against.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If you're looking for a complimentary top line winger, Rakell might be available. Low cap hit, Ducks could retain to make the contract even better. He's not a player that needs to be moved, but there just isn't a player on the team to compliment. Zegras is too young, Getzlaf is too old... the Ducks just don't have top end offensive talent and he's not a player to carry a line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad