News: Canucks looking to move up

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
What do we have to offer?

Petey, Hughes, Demko, Hronek, and Kuzmenko are off limits. Virtually everyone else on the roster is overpaid and has close to no value. We have no good prospects.

I just don't see what can attach to the 11th to move up, barring our unprotected 1st next year. And that just doesn't seem wise.
I'd say one of your prospect a 3rd and the 11th OA to the Flyers for their 8thOA.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
that's interesting. so either c pettersson or lhd hughes is getting moved.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Wild speculation:

Arizona claims they want to start building a competitive team, but the players they have are falling over themselves to get out of Phoenix, so unless they grossly overpay for UFAs, they will probably have to trade to fill out their roster starting with a decent goalie.

Demko +11OA to Arizona for 6OA + 12OA

Canucks take Michkov and Simashev.

Canucks sign a UFA goalie like Comox's, Adin Hill:

Last edited:

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Wild speculation:

Arizona claims they want to start building a competitive team, but the players they have are falling over themselves to get out of Phoenix, so unless they grossly overpay for UFAs, they will probably have to trade to fill out their roster starting with a decent goalie.

There’s not really a difference in value between 11th and 12th OA. So you’re essentially asking for 6th OA for Demko. Not gonna happen.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
if, If, IF, IF, IF... the Canucks were to try and move-up—I imagine it would start with moving JT Miller in a separate trade for the highest possible 1st round pick and prospect that they could get, and then immediately packaging those assets with their 1st this year to move up.

That's making two big assumptions: (1) that JT Miller actually the kind of value that Pittsburgh considered paying, and (2) that such a package would even tip the scale enough to move-up that high in the draft.

I don't think Lekkerimaki, the 2024 1st, or any other asset the Canucks have (besides Hughes or Pettersson) moves the needle.

Reactions: Astyanax

Grinner

May 31, 2022
why did they bother winning meaniningless games in march where they could have been in the top 5 with anahiem/montreal but noo. they started winning games and therefore they are where they are... picking 11th now they want to move up.. this organization is really something. no sense of direction are your rebuilding or retooling.
This site really needs a face palm emoji

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The subtext I interrupt from Allvin's machinations is that he has more than a couple of deals in the bag.

Too bad they didn't trot out Rutherford, he would have stated what they are, without any prodding or provocation.

Reactions: David71

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If you like a few Dmen, I think you can stay at 11 and least grab 1, or have an option between 2 you still like.

Hanifin for pick 11. Everyone wins
Who wins when Hanifin doesn't sign a contract with Vancouver? Or when Vancouver has to go into the 2024-2025 season with only 1 dman(Hughes) and half a team to still re-sign, while Hanifin is asking for 9 million?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If you like a few Dmen, I think you can stay at 11 and least grab 1, or have an option between 2 you still like.

Who wins when Hanifin doesn't sign a contract with Vancouver? Or when Vancouver has to go into the 2024-2025 season with only 1 dman(Hughes) and half a team to still re-sign, while Hanifin is asking for 9 million?
The Flames and Hanifin

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Why do we have a swedish general manager before a coach in the NHL.
Allvin was a long time assistant GM on cup-winning teams and there aren't a lot of Swedish assistant/associate coaches with NHL pedigree worth taking the risk on.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Allvin said they weren't going to buy out OEL and then they did. Media leaks from Vancouver aren't reliable anymore; whereas the previous regime genuinely used the media to leak trade details and stuff to get a feel for the response, this regime is happy to feed them crap if it satisfies the media person in the moment, then disregard what they said completely later.
Allvin's passing thoughts on whether moving up or down is in his preference at pick 11 shouldn't be over-analyzed imo.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Have to believe one of Simashev, Willander or Reinbacher will be there at 11.

My preference would be to keep 11 or even move down.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I don't feel there's a need to trade down, one of these players will be available

Simashev
Willander
Reinbacher
Leonard
Dvorsky
Michkov
Benson

Also others like Danielson, Wood, Moore

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucks LB

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Unlikely that they do. But, every GM should be either inquiring about going up or down to see what their options are. And that's based off what their scouts are telling them.

canucks don't have the assets to move up. If they didn't do the Hronek trade, I'd say they'd have a chance, but not now.

Plus, I don't know how many of the kids are NHL ready in 23/24 since they would have been hit at 15/16 with the 20/21 season being impacted by covid. More likely to return to their clubs than go to the NHL outside the top 3 guys most likely.

Doesn't really line up with what the Canucks are trying to do.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
What a dumb ass franchise. One minute, they’re buying out guys that cost them for 8 years for cap space, the next they’re looking to move up in the draft.

They’re totally clueless with zero direction. Pathetic

Reactions: oceanchild

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
What a dumb ass franchise. One minute, they’re buying out guys that cost them for 8 years for cap space, the next they’re looking to move up in the draft.

They’re totally clueless with zero direction. Pathetic
Every GM should be exploring all options. I’d be more concerned if he wasn’t looking into the cost. It doesn’t mean he’ll be willing to pay the price. But you at least have to know to make an informed decision

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
If the Canucks targeted Reinbacher, they have to move to 5 because rumor is that the Coyotes will pick Reinbacher at 6.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
You realize the teams top players actually have a stake in how much they play and produce right? Do you think Petey wanted to end up with 92 points? JT wanted to get 70 points after signing the big deal? Or Demko didn’t want to redeem himself and square up his record and his save pctg? Maybe Hughes wanted to flirt with 80 points or maybe the new coach wanted to establish a good rapport with the teams core?

Or they could appease “oceanchild” a dude that posts on a forum.

It was probably a tough choice for them.
It’s the management groups priority to manage the group. They could have kept Bruce as coach, it was fine until rumours of a coaching change leaked. They could have played Demko less and given the younger players like Hoglander a chance to play. Just because “HairyKneel” thinks this is the way it should be, doesn’t make it a rational choice.

Wild speculation:

It’s wild, not that it matters, but they kind of owe us for the fleecing we took on OEL and Garland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad