News: Canucks looking to move up

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I have a strong hunch that they're drooling over Simashev and want to guarantee they get him. Or they could be trying to take a crack at Michkov (there's been reports of mutual interest) and the defenseman stuff is misdirection. This front office seems to like Russian players a lot.

Please don’t mortgage the future ,

Stay at 11
The Canucks don't have much future to move anyways, lol.

Reactions: Cascadian Canadian

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Pretty sure there's at most two Dmen that would be gone by #11...
I would just stand pat.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Not sure what the Canucks could offer to move up. Beyond d this years 1st they don’t really have anything bottom 10 teams could be interested in. They have next to no interesting prospects and they don’t have a 2nd this in this years or next years drafts.

Reactions: kinghock

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Not sure if this is news. I listened to the comments live. I feel like he simply repeated the sort of thing that every GM says: "We talk to every GM about trades, moving up or moving down..." etc.
it's the exact same words as yzerman said in his press conference yesterday.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I have a strong hunch that they're drooling over Simashev and want to guarantee they get him. Or they could be trying to take a crack at Michkov (there's been reports of mutual interest) and the defenseman stuff is misdirection. This front office seems to like Russian players a lot.

The Canucks don't have much future to move anyways, lol.

Which is why I am worried because yes you are so right ,

Like the Hronek trade , We mortgaged alot. So the thought of the Canucks trading up scares me because then what we use our 2025 2nd Round Pick .

Just stand pat and use the 6 picks you have in the top 4 rounds and add talent and our prospect pool can improve mightingly even without the 2nd .

We found Elias Pettersson 2.0 last year in the 3rd round , we can maybe add two more this year with the two 3rd round picks

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I have a feeling Willander is rated very highly among teams. His two way ability, skating, leadership trait, combined with his skillset make him the best defenseman in the draft.

I have a feeling Willander is their guy and they're trying to secure him.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

Every team would look at it. That’s just your standard question and answer this time of year.

I don’t see how they move up. They need legit prospects in the system. Especially Dmen. I’d actually think moving down and getting another pick/prospect is the smarter move.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I honestly don't understand what Vancouver is trying to do, they simultaneously seem to be both trying to improve the roster while also trying to rebuild. There's no direction here, you see them trade off Horvat for futures just to trade significant futures for Hronek.
If the Canucks see a guy who can step into the lineup pretty fast, perhaps even this season, from the draft, then this kind of move would make sense.

For a guy 3-4 years out, I agree, it doesn't make much sense.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I honestly don't understand what Vancouver is trying to do, they simultaneously seem to be both trying to improve the roster while also trying to rebuild. There's no direction here, you see them trade off Horvat for futures just to trade significant futures for Hronek.
Not related to the topic, but just thought I'd point out here you're calling the trading away of Horvat "futures" and the trading for Hronek "significant futures" when... they're kind of the same thing? The Horvat trade the Canucks received the Isles 1st - at it's low point in the season, and a previous isles 2nd Aatu Ratty. In trading for Hronek, they shipped the Isles 1st back out - when it looked like they'd secure a wild card spot with their own 2nd. In addition to these assets the Canucks also received Beauvillier and Detroit's 4th.

Just a good example of the irony as the Horvat trade return, a rental lets not forgot, got a pretty luke warm reception, while with the Hronek trade people lost their minds that the Canucks would trade so much futures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad