News: Canucks looking to move up

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
It’s the management groups priority to manage the group. They could have kept Bruce as coach, it was fine until rumours of a coaching change leaked. They could have played Demko less and given the younger players like Hoglander a chance to play. Just because “HairyKneel” thinks this is the way it should be, doesn’t make it a rational choice.

It’s wild, not that it matters, but they kind of owe us for the fleecing we took on OEL and Garland.
Arizona owes Vancouver nothing

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
If the Canucks targeted Reinbacher, they have to move to 5 because rumor is that the Coyotes will pick Reinbacher at 6.
Vancouver doesn’t have the pieces to move up to 5th. Their prospect pool is practically empty and they don’t have a 2nd round pick until 2025.

Reactions: RebuildinVan

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Arizona owes Vancouver nothing
Not so sure about that:

1687474460599.jpeg

Reactions: Astyanax

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Vancouver doesn’t have the pieces to move up to 5th. Their prospect pool is practically empty and they don’t have a 2nd round pick until 2025.
If Vancouver ever moved to 5th, they wouldn't be drafting Reinbacher. If Arizona wants him and 5th, than they are dumber than I thought. By BPA it should go like this:

1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Carlsson
4. Michkov
5. Leonard
6. Smith
7. Reinbacher
8. Benson
9. Barllow
10. Divorsky

I feel Reinbacher will be like a Julovi bust while Pelleka and Simashev will be the better ones going later in the 1st round. If am the Canucks, I would stay put if I wanted to draft D and get Pelleka or Simashev. If am moving up in the top 10, I would probably go BPA and get Smith, or Barllow or Leonard if he was still available. The strength of this draft is in the forwards so 11th pick might be good if you are trying to draft a D.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
If Vancouver ever moved to 5th, they wouldn't be drafting Reinbacher. If Arizona wants him and 5th, than they are dumber than I thought. By BPA it should go like this:

1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Carlsson
4. Michkov
5. Leonard
6. Smith
7. Reinbacher
8. Benson
9. Barllow
10. Divorsky

I feel Reinbacher will be like a Julovi bust while Pelleka and Simashev will be the better ones going later in the 1st round. If am the Canucks, I would stay put if I wanted to draft D and get Pelleka or Simashev. If am moving up in the top 10, I would probably go BPA and get Smith, or Barllow or Leonard if he was still available. The strength of this draft is in the forwards so 11th pick might be good if you are trying to draft a D.

I didn’t comment on who’d they draft at 5. Only that they don’t have the pieces to trade up from 11 to 5

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
They were really mismanaged by the last regime. Vancouver's best hope is to hold on to their picks and start a rebuild around Demko, Hughes and Pettersson. They don't have the assets to build on the fly and forget going for the top 5 this year. Their tradeable assets are Garland and JT Miller who could and should be used to help in future drafts while they still have some value. They won't win with the current lineup so go for the tank. There is no other choice, imo.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
I though Vancouver wanted to compete with EP and Hughes in their prime ?

Why not trade that #11 for roster players

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
They were really mismanaged by the last regime. Vancouver's best hope is to hold on to their picks and start a rebuild around Demko, Hughes and Pettersson. They don't have the assets to build on the fly and forget going for the top 5 this year. Their tradeable assets are Garland and JT Miller who could and should be used to help in future drafts while they still have some value. They won't win with the current lineup so go for the tank. There is no other choice, imo.
Why the hell would they do that when they traded 17th overall pick for Hronek? Signed Mikheyev? Signed Miller to a long term deal? Their plan was never to tank and they won't because it is contradictory to the recent moves. Only someone like Benning would go for a tank after trading draft picks, buying out OEL and signing Miller for long term lol. In fact they should retool and see how their new acquisition like Hronek and Mikeheyev will perform in an injury free, full season with a new coach in Tocchet. I see Canucks will be busy this off season and add more to their D. Your take is similar to someone who is studying dentistry or medicine and still in school while opening their own restaurant business and juggling both while not being successful in any of it. Either focus on one direction, retool and go for that only or trade everyone and rebuild. Can't trade high draft picks for players needed on the roster and rebuild at the same time with low number of picks

Reactions: kyne

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
The players want to win and our four best players had a lot to play for interns of numbers, personal pride and living up to and securing future big long term contracts. The new coach wants to connect with his core. They are wired a bit differently than some random neckbeard on a messsage board.
You know nothing about me and I find it astonishing that you think you somehow know more as a fellow bird poster. If management managed to what players want, the NHL would be full of teams that have buddies on it, instead of being constructed in whatever way that is most efficient. Being in management is hard, it requires making the hard call, it’s about a long term strategy, it’s about building assets and then utilizing them when the opportunity arises in whatever capacity is needed. Short term decision lead to long term loses, they need to play the long game. What good did going on a run under Bruce do for this team? Did they carry it over? Did players take discounts to stay because they got to win? Will winning in garbage time convince Pettersson to stay? No to all of it. Would having a couple young game changers on ELC on the team help ease his mind that the team is headed In the right direction? Sure would. I think you don’t know how to run an operation and think it’s all about short term warm and fuzzy feelings, when it’s about long term process. Instead of addressing that you have been attacking me and implying I’m something, because I don’t agree with you. Do you think Tampa sends out a card to have players give feedback on their feelings? How about Vegas? No, they make The hard call And they win.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Not sure why you'd spend assets to move up in this draft. First, the Canucks have the least amount of assets to use to do it. Second, there will be maybe 3 or 4 guys on your list available at 11 and if there isnt your scouts are bad. Oh wait.... Canucks

• Haha
Reactions: Mighty Makar

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I feel like Reinbacher will end up as the next Juolevi if he’s drafted by the Canucks.
Or worse if drafted by: Arizona, phoenix, Scottsdale, what ever that other suburb it was, now ARi st.; they really need to move that franchise. Dan akroid said it best in Tommy boy: sometimes you have to tie a company to a tree and beat it with shovel, sure some kids will cry but that's business.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
The subtext I interrupt from Allvin's machinations is that he has more than a couple of deals in the bag.

Too bad they didn't trot out Rutherford, he would have stated what they are, without any prodding or provocation.

maybe he will announce them before the draft starts. 1/2 major deals involving garland/pick 11 and others. then somehow getting a couple of seconds back in return?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
maybe he will announce them before the draft starts. 1/2 major deals involving garland/pick 11 and others. then somehow getting a couple of seconds back in return?
That would be the dumbest thing if we traded Garland and 11th pick for couple of measly seconds in this deep draft. The top 5 in this draft could be franchise players, while the top 15 could be slam dunk NHL players if teams draft right. Moore could very well be available at 11th and no way in hell Vancouver would trade that if he was still on the board, same with Reinbacher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad