Rumor: Canucks looking for a High End puck moving D-man (Benning interview)

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Yes, but we are open to picks which rangers can bank for later.

Deangelo can be had reasonably for next 4-5 yrs

Canucks are cap strapped so they'd want a subsidized Deangelo ($1mil retained).... oh, and six 3rds.... :naughty:

In all seriousness, don't think he's the right target. PMD, yes, but likely a high acquisition cost and likely wants a pretty healthy salary bump after the year he's had

I also think the Canucks need to walk the fine line between PMD/DFD types

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Canucks are cap strapped so they'd want a subsidized Deangelo ($1mil retained).... oh, and six 3rds.... :naughty:

In all seriousness, don't think he's the right target. PMD, yes, but likely a high acquisition cost and likely wants a pretty healthy salary bump after the year he's had

I also think the Canucks need to walk the fine line between PMD/DFD types

Thanks for the reply.
IF he's not the right type, that's something else...

If he's right, add to return, 5 yr deal 5.5 per, NY retains 1m per. he's cheap at 4.5 per if we're honest about it.

Of course I want something extra for eating 1m per. but eating 1m while getting value is cheaper than a big salary down the road.

What kind of futures you have?

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
What would it take for us to unload Justin Faulk? He is definitely a PMD, and might be a better fit in Vancouver's system than in St. Louis.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
Thanks for the reply.
IF he's not the right type, that's something else...

If he's right, add to return, 5 yr deal 5.5 per, NY retains 1m per. he's cheap at 4.5 per if we're honest about it.

Of course I want something extra for eating 1m per. but eating 1m while getting value is cheaper than a big salary down the road.

What kind of futures you have?

Not a lot, honestly... for a team that's been "rebuilding" as long as the Canucks have, there's a scarcity of tradeable prospects imo. Don't pick till the 3rd round this year. Should probably continue stockpiling assets, but ol Jimbo may have other plans

And I legit don't think Deangelo is the right fit. Need more of a two-way guy who can also move the puck

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
What would it take for us to unload Justin Faulk? He is definitely a PMD, and might be a better fit in Vancouver's system than in St. Louis.

His contract is pretty ugly. Only positives I can see there are the lack of bonuses and the majority of it is paid out in the first 4 years.

Then there's the fit.... haven't seen enough of the player over the years to really know if reports of his defensive woes are exaggerated or not

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
His contract is pretty ugly. Only positives I can see there are the lack of bonuses and the majority of it is paid out in the first 4 years.

Then there's the fit.... haven't seen enough of the player over the years to really know if reports of his defensive woes are exaggerated or not
Thanks for the honest reply! Yes, he is overpaid, there is no disputing that. During the playoff series with Vancouver he had a couple of very strong games, I just wonder if that was observed by Canuck fans. He needs a system that is more "run and gun" to thrive, which is why he did so well in Carolina. He has never been a stalwart defensively, but if paired with the right partner, he could be a threat. He defends very aggressively and loves to challenge the puck carrier. He didn't fit into the Blues system of zone coverage as opposed to man to man. I just noticed the Canucks played a more open style than the Blues, and I thought perhaps Faulk might thrive more in that system.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Not a lot, honestly... for a team that's been "rebuilding" as long as the Canucks have, there's a scarcity of tradeable prospects imo. Don't pick till the 3rd round this year. Should probably continue stockpiling assets, but ol Jimbo may have other plans

And I legit don't think Deangelo is the right fit. Need more of a two-way guy who can also move the puck

Thanks and fair enough.
Remember tho,
you get what you pay for
you get what you don't pay for

talent wise and additionally, could do a lot worse.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
If only they didn’t sign tire fire, I mean Tyler Myers to that contract. Could have had Kruger for just 1 mil more this year

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Barrie fn sucks. TDA and Hughes would be similar to Leetch and Zubov back in the day.

Buchnevich and TDA for Podkolzin and your 2021 first rounder.

That would make the Canucks interesting in the west. Personally, I still think TDA is going to the Flames.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Tyson barrie come on down
tenor.gif

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Not 100% sure I get this. Isn't Hughes their high end puck moving d-man? Are they just looking for a second pairing guy? Surely you want someone more physical and stay at home to pair with Hughes?

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
His spell in Toronto shouldn't sour Nucks fans on him. He will be a perfect fit there.
I mean , he still was a 45 point D in a bad year. TOs lack of defensive structure highlighted his flaws. Not sure he will be much better defensively if he ends up in Vancouver, but we could certainly use another 45 points from our D. Barrie is one guy I see signing a short deal this offseason.

Reactions: DarylO

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Not 100% sure I get this. Isn't Hughes their high end puck moving d-man? Are they just looking for a second pairing guy? Surely you want someone more physical and stay at home to pair with Hughes?

They want a guy who can pair with Hughes if Benning's comments are an indication. That's why Tyson Barrie is a poor fit in that they both bring the same skillset - ability to transition D to O by carrying the puck. Ideally, we would want a well-rounded RD that can complement Hughes rather than compete with him.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
They want a guy who can pair with Hughes if Benning's comments are an indication. That's why Tyson Barrie is a poor fit in that they both bring the same skillset - ability to transition D to O by carrying the puck. Ideally, we would want a well-rounded RD that can complement Hughes rather than compete with him.

I get this. I'm just confused with the focus being on "puck moving".

Hughes is one of the best puck carriers in the game. By "puck moving" do they just mean a stay at home guy that can make a pass to Hughes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad