Rumor: Canucks looking for a High End puck moving D-man (Benning interview)

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Benning is not one to play his cards close to his vest.

As if it wasnt obvious enough with the Canuck's pursuit of OEL, Benning made it crystal clear that the Canucks are hell bent in trying to find and acquire a high end puck moving Dman, not necessarily OEL.

It sounds like the Canucks are trying to explore every avenue whether its trade or free agency but they want to have a high end puck moving Dman by the end of the week.

Benning mentions that they have Hughes but they want another puck moving threat to make it a duo. He specifically names Heiskanen/Klingberg in Dallas and Hedman/Sergachev for TBay. He explains that is how he wants defend, by exiting more effeciently, getting the puck to the forwards and having elite puck possesion numbers. Basically defence by having great offence.

Question: Which other high end puck mover is out there that can be available via trade. Please keep in mind the word " high end"

Is someone like Werenski available in CBJ? Ellis in Nashville? Shane Ghostisbhere?

Jim Benning on additions he'd like to make to the roster ahead of the NHL Draft - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD and David71

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
They certainly will have some options if they can figure out the money.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Nah, perfectly reasonable to expect Demko to make 40+ saves a night.

if you listen to the interview he mentions that getting another high end puck mover is how they want to defend. Basically by exiting more effeciently and then having elite puck possesion in the ozone.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
if you listen to the interview he mentions that getting another high end puck mover is how they want to defend. Basically by exiting more effeciently and then having elite puck possesion in the ozone.

I think there’s no way they’re bringing Tanev back at this point. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Tyson Barrie is who they’re after.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Would Shayne Ghosthisbere be a fit?

Likely low acquisition cost, reasonable salary, and apparently is better on the right than left (despite being a left shot).... varying opinions on his defense

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I think there’s no way they’re bringing Tanev back at this point. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Tyson Barrie is who they’re after.

All the best to Tanev especially if he wants 4 yrs or more. We simply cant afford to risk that on him given his injury history.

I think its way easier to find 1 dimensional stay at home defensive dmen than it is to find a puck mover

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Likely low acquisition cost, reasonable salary, and apparently is better on the right than left (despite being a left shot).... varying opinions on his defense

it sounds like Canucks would have interst in such a player.

speculated cost from philly fans?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think they need two guys really. One to defend and one high end puck mover with size.
Hopefully someone cheaper than OEL and younger as well. Either that or an older guy on a shorter contract.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
elite is not available
and if exception like AlexPie presents itself, likely to be huge $$$ for big term, assuming AP is not limiting himself to just StL, or TOR

best bang for the buck there is Deangelo.
not complete across the board all star, but some aspects of his game, including as specified by OP/title thread, are a match.

offer?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad