Rumor: Canucks looking for a High End puck moving D-man (Benning interview)

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I get this. I'm just confused with the focus being on "puck moving".

Hughes is one of the best puck carriers in the game. By "puck moving" do they just mean a stay at home guy that can make a pass to Hughes?

I think the idea is that they won't be re-signing Tanev and that Benning has an eye towards a dman that can bring more offense than Tanev as his replacement. Presumably this dman would be right shot and have a good outlet pass, perhaps at the expense of the shot blocking and sneaky good defence that Tanev brings. Let's face it, anyone paired with Hughes is not going to be puck handling all that much.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Screams DeAngelo but I know VAN doesn't have the gall to do something like that. People still think ADA is a "project"
What would the return have to be though? We basically have Virtanen, Stecher and futures, but would need to send cap your way as well. Don't see a fit here.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'd honestly take something centered around Virtanen and futures. But yes the cap would have to work so I think it's a fit but not THEE fit

I'd do that for sure. Virtanen and any prospect that is not Pod/Hoglander/Rathbone/possibly OJ.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
I get this. I'm just confused with the focus being on "puck moving".

Hughes is one of the best puck carriers in the game. By "puck moving" do they just mean a stay at home guy that can make a pass to Hughes?
I think if he wanted a stay at home d man he would've said that instead he said puck moving dman .
In the playoffs we had trouble exiting the dzone when Hughes wasn't on the ice so I'm thinking he wants someone who can move the puck out and put up some points on the second unit.

SomeSortOfHockey

Oct 9, 2013
Didn't think they needed one. If they feel this way Barrie will sign in Vancouver. Its well established he wanted to sign before and his going to free agency. Right hand d and a puck mover who probably has Vancouver at the top of his list.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Didn't think they needed one. If they feel this way Barrie will sign in Vancouver. Its well established he wanted to sign before and his going to free agency. Right hand d and a puck mover who probably has Vancouver at the top of his list.
Canucks letting both Tanev and Stecher walk clears enough cap to sign Barrie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad