Canucks/Leafs Series to finally be re-broadcast

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As we all know, for whatever reason relations between Pat Quinn and Bure really soured....and he eventually left Vancouver with a trade demand.

And there were hints of it in this series.....Color guy Harry Neale wondered aloud why Quinn didn't play Bure more. I'm not sure that Quinn really liked his defense....ever.

But it's mind-boggling to think how good Bure would have been if he'd broken in after the dead-puck era. I don't think the refs even knew what an 'interference penalty' really was back then.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As we all know, for whatever reason relations between Pat Quinn and Bure really soured....and he eventually left Vancouver with a trade demand.

And there were hints of it in this series.....Color guy Harry Neale wondered aloud why Quinn didn't play Bure more. I'm not sure that Quinn really liked his defense....ever.

But it's mind-boggling to think how good Bure would have been if he'd broken in after the dead-puck era. I don't think the refs even knew what an 'interference penalty' really was back then.

The real what-if is if prime young Vancouver Bure didn't have the center red line and two-line pass to deal with.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The third period of Game 4 was spellbinding stuff. McLean and Potvin both making incredible saves as the action went end to end. But you could just feel Ronning was going to score - best skater on the ice for either team excluding the goaltenders. Beautiful give and go with Momesso for the winner.

Also, on Momesso - I think he pretty much single handedly neutralized Doug Gilmour for the Leafs. Lost count of how many times he absolutely plastered him with huge hits.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
The real what-if is if prime young Vancouver Bure didn't have the center red line and two-line pass to deal with.

I also wonder what could have been if the Canucks had actually provided him with a decent center?

It's too bad that the team never retained Igor Larionov.

Watching the Leafs series, Bure would 'wait' for Trevor Linden and Gus Adams to catch up with him in the neutral zone as the leafs doubled and tripled teamed him was painful to watch and I am sure was frustrating for Pavel. He was on a completely different level in terms of skill and speed but was still so dominate when given time and space.

I recall the rumor after 94...think it was before they acquired Mogilny that Quinn had a deal in place (or was speculated at the time) that the Canucks would move out Linden and McLean for Fedorov and Vernon.

I recall the thought of Bure playing with Fedorov had me salivating at the lips.

Even when Pavel was traded to Florida the guy had Kozlov and Niedermayer feeding him pucks. In Manhattan, he had what,.. Bobby Holik feeding him biscuits?

Regardless of who he had in the middle, he always put that puck in the back of the net.

One of a kind, great to see him on the TV screen again.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
And this was when Bob Cole and Harry Neale were in their prime as a broadcast duo. Harry could always make me laugh.

The broadcasts are obviously pretty heavily pro-Leafs (somewhat nauseatingly so), but this gem from Neale last night was great:

"No one on Earth - or anywhere else they play hockey - is going to catch this guy when he gets going." Harry Neale on Pavel Bure's speed.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Just watched game 3...The game was actually a lot closer than the 4-0 score would indicate, but the Canucks were the better team (momentum was clearly on the Canucks side in the series now)..Kirk Maclean was brilliant ,stopping numerous point blank scoring chances from the Leafs..

Also,..Jaime Macoun was outright 'mugging' Canuck players in this series...dirty sonofabitch....Not quite as effective in game 3 though.

Reactions: nucks88

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Damn, Lafayette with a gorgeous goal to close the gap to 3-2 in Game 5. He definitely played the best hockey of his career that spring - really played solid hockey for that team that spring.

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
They need to bring back those damn trumpets after announcing the goals.

(The only thing is it is probably better suited for the Golden Knights.)

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
The broadcasts are obviously pretty heavily pro-Leafs (somewhat nauseatingly so), but this gem from Neale last night was great:

"No one on Earth - or anywhere else they play hockey - is going to catch this guy when he gets going." Harry Neale on Pavel Bure's speed.

I liked the Tonya Harding comment after Potvin hacked a Canuck in front of the net. Also I don't feel the pro-leaf commenting at all, I find it completely neutral & legendary.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I liked the Tonya Harding comment after Potvin hacked a Canuck in front of the net. Also I don't feel the pro-leaf commenting at all, I find it completely neutral & legendary.
:laugh: I enjoyed the Tonya Harding comment, too.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Geez....26 years ago. It really hit home earlier this week when they showed a long-range tv shot from the Pacific Coliseum to the downtown core. You can see the old BC Place whoopie cushion roof and Harry Neale noting it as the site for the new Canucks arena slated to open in 1995.

Thank you, Arthur Griffiths.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With deference to the Sedins and possibly Pettersson or Hughes down the road, Pavel Bure was the best player to ever lace them up for the Canucks. He's more than deserved of his place in the Hockey HOF.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad