Canucks/Leafs Series to finally be re-broadcast

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

About damn time. I was almost starting to believe the conspiracy theories that Toronto was trying to keep this from being put back on the air.

West Coast vs East Coast in a Conference Final. Pavel Bure in his prime, Kirk McLean in top form...can’t wait to watch this. Scant little footage of this series is able to be found online, in my experience.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think I was only able to find Game 5 online, so will be fun to watch all the other games.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I was at game 5.

It was awesome.

Yeah yeah, I'm quoting myself...

What I remember is that there were a couple of Leafs fans in my section. When Toronto jumped out to an early lead, they were really loud and obnoxious. The steady stream of beers no doubt contributed to this.

What was hilarious is that during the Canucks comeback, after every Canucks goal, this little kid ran up behind them and said, in a little piping voice, "Leafs suck!" And they could do nothing... drunk as they were, even they knew they couldn't beak off at a 6 year old.

Anyways, these Leafs fans disappeared after the 2nd intermission and we didn't see them again for the rest of the game lol.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
What I remember most about this series was Kirk McLean going full beast mode. I think it was three consecutive shutouts?

I’m legitimately excited for this. Other than the Adams clincher and a few scattered highlights, I haven’t seen a lot of this since I was 10 years old.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
When they showed Tom Cruise and then wife Nicole Kidman in the stands, I wondered which movie he was filming while in Toronto.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Game one replay tonight--a 3-2 OT win for the Leafs on a goaltending gaffe by Kirk McLean.

A few observations.....that '94 Canucks team had a lot of 'meat and potato' players, but was overall pretty bereft of talent. Once you past Bure, Linden, Ronning and maybe Courtnall, the rest were up and down wingers who couldn't make a six foot pass to save their lives. A lot of dump outs and dump ins. Lumme the best of the blueliners....but guys like Hedican, Brown, Glynn and Diduck were really just journeymen.

The other thing you notice is that '94 really was the height of the dead puck era. The stuff the refs let go in this game was mind-boggling. The neatly coiffed referee Dan Marouelli kept his whistle in his pocket and nothing short of an outright mugging warranted a pp. Of course they didn't call him 'three hour Dan' for nothing earlier in his career. So I guess he got his marching order from NHL-central. Still jarring though to see helmet-less refs and linesmen.

And that series pre-dated the elimination of the center red line on offsides. Yikes does it slow the game down.

Clearly the NHL of 2020 is light years ahead of where it was then...too bad Bure was born too soon.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Game one replay tonight--a 3-2 OT win for the Leafs on a goaltending gaffe by Kirk McLean.

A few observations.....that '94 Canucks team had a lot of 'meat and potato' players, but was overall pretty bereft of talent. Once you past Bure, Linden, Ronning and maybe Courtnall, the rest were up and down wingers who couldn't make a six foot pass to save their lives. A lot of dump outs and dump ins. Lumme the best of the blueliners....but guys like Hedican, Brown, Glynn and Diduck were really just journeymen.

The other thing you notice is that '94 really was the height of the dead puck era. The stuff the refs let go in this game was mind-boggling. The neatly coiffed referee Dan Marouelli kept his whistle in his pocket and nothing short of an outright mugging warranted a pp. Of course they didn't call him 'three hour Dan' for nothing earlier in his career. So I guess he got his marching order from NHL-central. Still jarring though to see helmet-less refs and linesmen.

And that series pre-dated the elimination of the center red line on offsides. Yikes does it slow the game down.

Clearly the NHL of 2020 is light years ahead of where it was then...too bad Bure was born too soon.

Agree with a lot of what you said, but Jeff Brown was far from a journeyman. He was a massive difference maker on that team.

The foot soldiers on that 94 team made a lot of timely contributions, if not consistent ones. But the team's bread and butter was definitely a combination of its lethal top line, and Kirk McLean's stellar, career best goaltending performance.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Not sure how you ascertain Hedican, Brown and Diduck as 'journeymen' D-men.?...(in the same category as Glynn)..Obviously not world beaters ,but they were definitely quality players...

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Agree with a lot of what you said, but Jeff Brown was far from a journeyman. He was a massive difference maker on that team.

The foot soldiers on that 94 team made a lot of timely contributions, if not consistent ones. But the team's bread and butter was definitely a combination of its lethal top line, and Kirk McLean's stellar, career best goaltending performance.

Brown was a .75+ppg defenseman over like 800 games. Hedican and Diduck both played over 1000 games. I don’t know how those guys could be called “just journeymen.”

A lot of what is being described in that post is just 90s NHL hockey. You had a few skill guys, and then a bunch of coke machines who went out and dumped the puck and cleared the crease and “played the right way” and all that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Game two on the telly tonight.....Canucks even the series with a late third period goal from Lumme.

Mironov of the Leafs with two powerplay blasts that handcuffed McLean. Both were on one-timers. Something that every player in the league does now, but was an outlier back then.

It might have something to do with the lack of composite sticks, but in the 90's almost nobody took any one-timers. Either they hadn't refined their technique, or their sticks just wouldn't enable them to do it.

Fast forward 25 years and wiry guys like Elias Pettersson and J.T. Miller can obliterate the water bottle on every shot they direct at the net. The shooters are far superior today, the goalies are monstrous and high-slot deflections were almost unheard of back then.

Finally, sad to contemplate that the two 'Pats' behind their respective benches--Quinn and Burns--are no longer with us. Where has the time gone?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad