GDT: Canucks @ Jets Part Deux

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Not that I'm saying we're going to miss, but that "If we beat LA" part is a big IF.

Conclusions are being drawn on both sides, folks, not just the doom and gloom side. I know it looks very likely that the Canucks will make it but let's stop assuming they will. Beating L.A. will be a tough ask and it's not agiven the Canucks will be alert for the Edmonton and Arizona games. Slip-ups are just as possible as going 2-0-1 and that could spell trouble for the Canucks. Look what's happening to the Penguins right now...

This thing is NOT in the bag yet. I don't know, I just prefer to look at it that way.

It's called being optimistic. A great deal of the complaints around here is the prevalence of the chicken little syndrome. Even if we do lose to LA, it's unlikely we miss, though obviously more worrisome. Regardless, I would rather assume we won't miss either. It's simply frustrated to read after two games are ****** a team we supposedly are. We just came back and wrecked both the Blues and Preds. We're not going to win them all. I'll worry if we lose to Arizona, not Winnipeg, who were desperate to stay alive.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Man, if we miss the big show by a single point I'll always think about that shot of the post by Higgins with like 90 second left in this game -- and what could have been.

17033694271_c2099ba725_o.gif
[/QUOTE]

I jumped up when that went off the post, ready to flip the hell out -- only to just be shaking my head at how close it was. To get that close to getting two on the Jets while our net was empty in the last 2 minutes? Pretty amazing. Sooooo close, you guys.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
If the Kings and the Flames win their remaining games, and have a 3 pt game when they play each other. And the Canucks only win one game of the three they have left. They will not be in the playoffs.

I feel tonight's game was their must win. We can only hope LA or Calgary stumble somehow.

If we lose to the Kings next game, things are going to get really hot on these boards fast.

we're playing the Yotes and Oilers, relax.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Not always the glass-half-full kind of guy but there's no way we miss.

Even if we lost to LA and it started to look like missing was actually a possibility, I would think that we would come out against the Yotes and/or Oilers with a "playoff" attitude and beat a terrible in a dire situation.

If we can't even do that then we don't have much hope in the playoffs lol.

salo franchise

Mar 15, 2014
Not always the glass-half-full kind of guy but there's no way we miss.

Even if we lost to LA and it started to look like missing was actually a possibility, I would think that we would come out against the Yotes and/or Oilers with a "playoff" attitude and beat a terrible in a dire situation.

If we can't even do that then we don't have much hope in the playoffs lol.

This. If we can't beat the Coyotes or Oilers in this situation then we have no business being in the playoffs.

Still, our defence better figure things out in a hurry. Scratching Bieksa would help but won't ever happen.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Thoughts:

--Decent debut for Bart. Had some prime offensive chances with Horvat and Hansen.

--Came out flatter than a pancake at the bottom of the San Andreas fault that had a pod of blue whales die and land on it. Barely three-dimensional.

--We'll make the playoffs.

--We won't go far playing like that.

--Road trip sums up the season nicely. Crush good team, eke out win against one of the best teams with the officiating stomping on the scales against us, lose honest hard-fought game, lose game against team fighting for playoff lives by coming out with nothing and non-stop mistakes by our horrific d, aided and abetted by stupid coaching decisions.

--This game provided a template for our playoff opponent. Everything you need to know to beat this team was on display. Get in on the d, force them to make the play, feast on the inevitable mistakes. They're so vulnerable on the back end it's just not funny. I look back on when we had all the injuries on d and we were waiting for our starting lineup to come back...well, now they're back and I'm having trouble remembering why we wanted them. It's like Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis and Tanev (to a far lesser degree) have been steadily losing IQ points as the season progresses. Sbisa never had many to start with, but I'm honestly not seeing much difference between him and the rest. Except Weber; he's the only guy who can get shots through from the blueline.

--Can someone who knows how to properly call a line change please tell Willie? PLEASE?!

--I really miss Richardson and Kassian.

Ugh.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Guys were 3 points up, have a 96% chance of making playoffs, and we play 2 of the worst teams in the league.

Playoffs are over boys, just pack it up.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Man, if we miss the big show by a single point I'll always think about that shot of the post by Higgins with like 90 second left in this game -- and what could have been.

17033694271_c2099ba725_o.gif

I jumped up when that went off the post, ready to flip the hell out -- only to just be shaking my head at how close it was. To get that close to getting two on the Jets while our net was empty in the last 2 minutes? Pretty amazing. Sooooo close, you guys.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the clear cross check on Higgins that went completely unnoticed.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
1-1-1 and we're in. Book it.

We'll probably go 3-0-0 though. I'm getting my basement ready forsure either way woohooooo.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Watching the highlights again we had some great chances just came up short Vrby hitting the post in the early first also had that breakaway, Edler on the pp & the Higgy post. Last two goals allowed by Lack were quite weak but optimistic he'll bounce back he's been playing great and keeping the team in it even after allowing first period goals very composed in net. We just have to be better defensively.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
How clutch is Burrows. He is amazing, and the Sedins really showed what they were made of this game.

The whole team needs to show up vs LA on Monday.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I'm not concerned at all about making the playoffs. That's nearly set in stone. What I am concerned about however is securing 2nd place. Because as of right now it's in the Kings hands.

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
It's called being optimistic. A great deal of the complaints around here is the prevalence of the chicken little syndrome. Even if we do lose to LA, it's unlikely we miss, though obviously more worrisome. Regardless, I would rather assume we won't miss either. It's simply frustrated to read after two games are ****** a team we supposedly are. We just came back and wrecked both the Blues and Preds. We're not going to win them all. I'll worry if we lose to Arizona, not Winnipeg, who were desperate to stay alive.

I agree with you. We had a bad game, but our team is good and have played like winners this season.

I still believe this is the best team we've had since the 2011 run. one bad game doesnt change that.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
we have a better chance of picking mcdavid if we miss than we do of actually missing, lol

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
we're playing the Yotes and Oilers, relax.

This mindset is why they're back to chasing a spot in the first place.

You can never guarantee yourself a win. Not in this league. You show up for the Coyotes just like you would for the Blackhawks or you risk underestimating your opponent and getting your ass handed to you.

The Oilers are a complete disaster by all means but every now and then their youth lines fire on all cylinders and surprise people. And the Coyotes may mail it in a lot but they seem to show up for our games.

So yeah, people are worried and justly so.

And also keep in mind that we wouldn't be chasing points at all if the Coyotes were just an easy win for us this season.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
losing 3 games isn't miniscule. It is 3 games. You guys act like it is a random occurrence that wouldn't happen.

0-3 Canucks
Flames would have to go 1-2
Jets 2-2
Kings 2-2

That isn't a hard outcome to predict. We are giving teams that have no business caring a reason to care for our last two games.

I believe we make it but to dismiss this outcome like it can't happen is asking for trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad