Friedman: Canucks interested in Wayne Simmonds

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Chiarelli v.2. Dude convinced his team is ready to be a perennial playoff team, while also feeling the hot seat. Not a good combination.

Chiarelli started making a bunch of moves that felt like desperation and blew up our cap, putting us into a three year tail spin. Fire this guy, I cant see this ending well, especially if hes going to fire sale more top round picks.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
If we’re giving up prospects or picks we need to send guys back for cap relief next year.

I’ll add something considerable to a guy like Eriksson and take Simmonds back. Not sure what that looks like, but NJD should be able to take on a contract like that. But, this becomes about more than Simmonds at that point.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
If Vancouver wants to keep ahold of their picks I’d definitely be interested in taking a punt on Nikita Tryamkin as part of the return.

Given how threadbare we are on defence I’m assuming he could be tempted back to the NHL. Correct me if i’m wrong Canucks fans but didn’t he originally leave because he was unhappy with his role/ice-time?

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I’m assuming he could be tempted back to the NHL. Correct me if i’m wrong Canucks fans but didn’t he originally leave because he was unhappy with his role/ice-time?

He wants to return to the NHL. he was deployed as a bottom 6 pairing dman, and rightfully so at the time he wasn't a top 4 yet, and wasn't as good as the guys ahead of him at the time.

When he returns to the Canuck line up we will work him in the bottom pairing still and see where his game is at, Since then He's won KHL dman of the year once.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Sending him to Columbus. Vancouver will need to get into a bidding war for him

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Chiarelli v.2. Dude convinced his team is ready to be a perennial playoff team, while also feeling the hot seat. Not a good combination.

Chiarelli started making a bunch of moves that felt like desperation and blew up our cap, putting us into a three year tail spin. Fire this guy, I cant see this ending well, especially if hes going to fire sale more top round picks.
Why can't they start becoming a consistent playoff team now? They have a really good core and have added a couple of good players in their primes around it. They have one of the best goalies in the league with a couple of really solid prospects behind him.

If Chiarelli was out trading for Toffoli, JT Miller, and Tanner Pearson instead of Brandon Manning, Alex Petrovic and Ryan Spooner he'd still have a job.

Not even close.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Why can't they start becoming a consistent playoff team now? They have a really good core and have added a couple of good players in their primes around it. They have one of the best goalies in the league with a couple of really solid prospects behind him.

If Chiarelli was out trading for Toffoli, JT Miller, and Tanner Pearson instead of Brandon Manning, Alex Petrovic and Ryan Spooner he'd still have a job.

Not even close.

Not if it meant burning 1st round picks and really good prospects, like the Reinhart bs. They can, but they can also revert back to being what they were last year, but without a first rounder, and soon to be another pick. Talbot was playing like a bonafide starter the year we made the playoffs, then he turned into Jake Allen for 2 years. Goalies are voodoo, I dont want to be selling 1st round picks when my team is... 2 points up on the second wildcard spot. They could just as easily miss the playoffs this year, let alone be a consistent playoff team going forward.

This reeks of him misjudging the rosters potential, I think they have more room to go down than up from here. Its possible I'm totally wrong and somehow they turn into the 2011 Canucks, but it seems more likely they regress next year and he blows up their prospect pipeline than they start making conference finals

Some Canucks fans also dont seem thrilled ITT.

Reactions: Pip

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
If Vancouver wants to keep ahold of their picks I’d definitely be interested in taking a punt on Nikita Tryamkin as part of the return.

Given how threadbare we are on defence I’m assuming he could be tempted back to the NHL. Correct me if i’m wrong Canucks fans but didn’t he originally leave because he was unhappy with his role/ice-time?
Tryamkin might have burnt some bridges in Vancouver.
Might just be able to get him for a flyer.

Willie Desjardins HATES Russians, basically gave him shit ice time when he was playing well. Sitting him out of games when he was playing well. I mean, you can ask Kings fans on how Desjardins basically chased Kovalchuk out of LA. Gave him the old Willie treatment of stapling him to the bench, playing him 9 minutes a game. How that guy got a second gig in the NHL I will never know.

In a seller's market, I think Simmonds can get more.
As a Canucks fan, I do not really want to give up anything significant for Simmonds. The guy went for Ryan Hartman and a 4th last year and he hasn't really done anything to increase his value since then. So him getting anything more than that would be an overpayment in my eyes.
But in this seller's market, you never know.

You are also dealing with Benning, so I can totally see Benning giving up Rathbone with the rationale of "Rafferty is doing well in the AHL and Rathbone is a ways away.".
If you are a Devils fan you should be ecstatic that Benning is interested in Simmonds. The guy ALWAYS overpays.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayBeautiful

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011

True

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Simmonds literally went full Lucic - completely lost his offensive touch out of nowhere. Even when he’s getting chances around the net feels like goalies are brick walls.

I wouldn’t touch that.. slowing down players with zero confidence don’t help your team.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Not if it meant burning 1st round picks and really good prospects, like the Reinhart bs. They can, but they can also revert back to being what they were last year, but without a first rounder, and soon to be another pick. Talbot was playing like a bonafide starter the year we made the playoffs, then he turned into Jake Allen for 2 years. Goalies are voodoo, I dont want to be selling 1st round picks when my team is... 2 points up on the second wildcard spot. They could just as easily miss the playoffs this year, let alone be a consistent playoff team going forward.

This reeks of him misjudging the rosters potential, I think they have more room to go down than up from here. Its possible I'm totally wrong and somehow they turn into the 2011 Canucks, but it seems more likely they regress next year and he blows up their prospect pipeline than they start making conference finals

Some Canucks fans also dont seem thrilled ITT.

This is bang on. Benning has fully bought into this team’s “rebuild” being over and wants to push all of his chips in to become a contender but I just don’t see it. The team relies far to heavily on Markstrom and his future in Vancouver is uncertain. They are already capped out, have depleted our prospect pool, and are going into the draft down our most important picks.

Toffoli is a good player and a good target but at the wrong time in this team’s competitive cycle and they may never become a contender if more misjudgments are made.

Lil

Feb 13, 2016
Gotham
Friedman with his usual Canucks slander. Thank god I see through him and know that God JB is too smart to acquire Simmonds.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
If we’re giving up prospects or picks we need to send guys back for cap relief next year.

I’ll add something considerable to a guy like Eriksson and take Simmonds back. Not sure what that looks like, but NJD should be able to take on a contract like that. But, this becomes about more than Simmonds at that point.

With the talk about Gaudette possibly being available an Eriksson+Gaudette for Simmonds is the kind of cap dump/trade type situation I'd scream into a pillow about for about a day and a half and slowly accept the cap space was worth it

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Imo unfortunately I can see something like Woo for Wayne which would be a mistake.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Not a Benning fan here btw, but what he said does not sound insane at all. He's just not looking into moving anymore picks for now since he's moved a lot recently and wants to have a strong balance of picks still.

Strong balance of picks??

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Tryamkin might have burnt some bridges in Vancouver.
Might just be able to get him for a flyer

his Instagram says other wise. (Liking a bunch of Canuck related things including it seems like he is stalking our players and still have the army Canuck jersey in his profile).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad