Rumor: Canucks in on Vrbata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olandsns

Jun 22, 2014
Halifax, NS
Unfortunately the powers that be think we will be.

my understanding is that its not about winning a in the next 3 or 3 years but more about not being edmonton
young players need to play with vets to transition into the league. its about learning to win in this league, not just be in the league

i advocate the opposite of the asinine "kid line" suggestion

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I would pass on Vrbata... (assuming $ is in the $5 mil range and term of 3+)

This is the opportunity to give Jensen the legit opportunity he requires to take a serious developmental step... he displayed flashes of legit top 6 NHL skill, skating and ability... allow for the work he does this summer to set it and be displayed.

That being said... one of the things we lack is a top 6 skilled player to assist the PP back into the top half of the league..

I like Vrbata... I just expect the term to be handcuffing.

I would be willing to bank on Kassian taking another developmental step in the consistency department... Bonino and Vey shaking up the chemistry on the PP and on Jensen shot to play a factor in the high slot.

Pretty optimistic... but the PP can only go up.

Ubik

Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver
Where is 5m coming from, all the rumours I've heard have been like 2.5 to Pittsburgh.

I could see 4.5 the highest he gets, unless its FLA, NYI and so on.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Offer him whatever cap room we have left. (Why not -- not like we're going to use it anywhere else?)

Tell him he'll get a good shot playing with the Sedins. That's any aging players dream. Sign a two year deal, play with Sedins, pot 30 goals, 30 assists and get PAAAID next FA season.

Signed:

Anson Carter

bo2shink*

Offer him whatever cap room we have left. (Why not -- not like we're going to use it anywhere else?)

Tell him he'll get a good shot playing with the Sedins. That's any aging players dream. Sign a two year deal, play with Sedins, pot 30 goals, 30 assists and get PAAAID next FA season.

Signed:

Anson Carter

Trade at deadline.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I like Vrbata. 20 goal, 50 point second line player..little bit of size.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Vrbata Bonino Kassian
Higgins Mathias Hansen
Shinkaruk Horvat Jensen

Second line seems decent... 50-55 points for both Vrbata and Bonino. Kassian could put up 30 points...or he might develop more into a legit top6 winger
Third line is solid crash and bang
Kid line... lots of youth in the line up. Lots of question marks but i would not be surprised to see that team end up 7th in the west.... especially if Miller brings his A game.

I like that top 9 but that whole 4th line probably won't start with the Canucks. Richardson/Dorsett/Sestito/Vey/Santorelli will fill those roles. I see Hansen getting traded, too

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Signing him to anything but a 1 or 2 year at the absolute most at any sort of cap hit is a desperation move.

Last edited:

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
It will cost more that $5M to land him, especially if we keep the term short (see Pouliot, etc).

I don't know about this. We will have decent depth, but so much for homegrown youth movement up front. It pretty much has to kill any chance of Horvat making this team. And dude is already one NHL 39 point season behind in tracking to be the next Bergeron.;)

Even one of Jensen, Hansen, or Mattias will find himself in a pressbox when everyone is healthy. Benning, Ferraro, and others are adamant that Vey will be in the lineup, probably in a top 9 role.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Vrbata-Bonino-Kassian
Higgins-Vey-Jensen/Hansen
Mattias-Richardson-Dorsett
Sestito

medhatcanuck

Jul 8, 2010
Inside JayZ's Belly
In signing Vrbata, there are a few considerations:

1) Term

1a. When is Virtanen or Shinkaruk ready to step in?
By all likelyhood we're looking at a 2-3 year minimum period.

1b. Other teams.
At most, we would want a 3 year deal. Other teams are probably offering more term with less hit. We are in a position to offer more hit less term. There is a conflict here which is the first reason I don't think the deal will work. Unless, Vrbata is willing to accept a 2-3 year deal.

2) Impact

2a. Point Production
Assuming he gets around 50 points, this would be satisfactory as a non-playoff team. However, taking into consideration his linemates would likely be Bonino and Kassian and assuming both of those players hit the 40 point mark, our team's lack of offensive would not be addressed by this deal. The arguement would be it is better than what we have now. However, I would say in the preliminary stages of building our team, the difference between what a guy like Vey could produce (~30 points) to what Vrbata could produce (~50 points) is not significant enough to push us from a 10th place team to a 7th or 8th place team.

1b. Helping develop young kids by staying competitive
For reasons stated above, I don't believe an extra 20 points would make our team significantly better and not having a 50 point scorer wouldn't be detrimental to a developing young center. Secondly, unless we have a significant offensive 2nd line weapon, it may be beneficial to leave the 2nd line wing position open for Vey, Gaunce, or Horvat in case they show some serious offensive upside.

What I am getting at is obtaining Vrbata would make us better as we have a no-existent second line. However, I am proposing either a different alternative to obtain offence or staying with the players we have (I'd rather have Burrows or Vey play their offwing). I don't see Vrbata being the answer to our 2nd line woes or helping in development of our young players (which seem to be the two priorities).

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I hope we're in on this just so pump his price up so the Bruins can be stuck with a crappy toxic contract.

Ubik

Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver
Signing him to anything but a 1 or 2 year at the absolute most at any sort of cap hit is a desperation move.

I agree it should be low term, but cap hit is sorta moot. We have the room, as long as it isn't beyond the 2-3 year contract we are in the clear when ELCs start expiring.

I wouldn't call him a desperation move rather than a filler move until a guy like Shink is ready.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Vrbata's agent tweeted that he's going to a Canadian team, and I can't imagine it's anyone other than Vancouver. Be interested to see term/dollars.

Radim Vrbata, while effective and what this team needs, is a deeply unsexy player from the perspective of a Canadian market trying to sell tickets. If Benning made a push on him...good for him.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Vrbata's agent tweeted that he's going to a Canadian team, and I can't imagine it's anyone other than Vancouver. Be interested to see term/dollars.

Radim Vrbata, while effective and what this team needs, is a deeply unsexy player from the perspective of a Canadian market trying to sell tickets. If Benning made a push on him...good for him.
Really scared of term for a 33 yr old player. Not too worried about annual amount as long as it's <= 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad