Rumor: Canucks in on Vrbata

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceCowboy

Feb 2, 2012
He's looking for $$. I think a lot of people eager to sign him will cringe at the amount the Canucks may have to pony up. I'm nervous.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Twins are going to get points, and whoever plays with them will get points. It'd be nice having two lines that can score, and Vrbrata would be a hell of an asset on the second line.

Just think we'd be a bit top heavy if we did that. But who knows, Sedins might struggle this year and need him.

Yeah, but I've seen a lot of people pencil Vrbata in at Left Wing and I don't think he's ever played there. I also think we need a "shutdown" line. Bonino isn't capable of playing tough comp, and I'd like to have Burrows on that line.

Iridescent*

Why would they sign him? Isn't he over 30? Thought canucks were going the youth route

Trying to win. If you're a GM, and you're not an idiot, your job isn't to ice a losing team. Good GM's try to win hockey games.

I like the idea of a 1 year tank, but it's just fantasy and not practical. Plus it's better to have vets in the lineup if we're bringing in some rookies. They need to be insulated and shown the ropes.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Are you even a fan of this team?

"I hope the signing fails so that I can dislike our GM xDDD" is essentially what you just said.

You haven't been keeping up all weekend! More anti HF Canucks if anything ;):sarcasm::help:

1) I'm in the pro Benning camp (unlike a loud majority here)

2) I'm in the anti Vrbata camp (unlike a loud majority here)

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Why would they sign him? Isn't he over 30? Thought canucks were going the youth route

"Going the youth route" does not mean icing 20 eighteen year olds. Acquiring age through UFA is pretty harmless, as long as you don't shackle yourself to any gaudy contracts that will still be moldering during your next hypothetical contention window.

As long as the Canucks don't start dealing 1st round picks or blue chip prospects for aging band-aids, they can be seen as transitioning into a new, younger core.

lolcatz

Mar 6, 2011
how is Vrbata garbage? he has been a pretty consistent 20 goal scorer in the western conference on an average team. He is a guy who never complains works hard and has some size.

I don't get why no one rates this guy, he is definitely a serviceable NHL vet.

As for the post above me, Heatley is also a good character guy who lives in Kelowna and would bring a bit of scoring to the club, he is low risk and could be high reward for a club who probably is not competing but wants to bring in some young players and have them develop alongside Veterans who have had success in the NHL.

ah thank you for this, there will be some 'slim' years but I'm willing to wait it out and see. Too much hyperbole and screaming around here, way too much.

And what's the point of bringing in guys like Vrbata vs playing our draft picks?

Well look at Edmonton. Adding another veteran and slowing bring in young talent while avoiding a losing culture is what I want to see.

Ubik

Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver
He's looking for $$. I think a lot of people eager to sign him will cringe at the amount the Canucks may have to pony up. I'm nervous.

The amount is not an issue, we have a lot of room more than enough for Vrbata, it is the term.

As long as he is off the books in 3 years who cares.

Iridescent*

"Going the youth route" does not mean icing 20 eighteen year olds. Acquiring age through UFA is pretty harmless, as long as you don't shackle yourself to any gaudy contracts that will still be moldering during your next hypothetical contention window.

As long as the Canucks don't start dealing 1st round picks or blue chip prospects for aging band-aids, they can be seen as transitioning into a new, younger core.

Completely agree. If Benning can pull this off and keep the term 3 years or under, it's a big win for him in my books.

Ubik

Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver

Exactly.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
And what's the point of bringing in guys like Vrbata vs playing our draft picks?

That's assuming our draft picks are ready, which is a stretch. We shouldn't be surprised if none of them are ready this year (excluding Jensen and Kassian who will have spots even if Vrbata is signed).

If, by chance, one of our prospects is ready, they will given a bottom-6 role and one of our current grinders will be scratched and/or shipped out.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I just think it would be nice if we could have ONE legit top 6 winger to play with Bonino.
Vrbata and Bonino could be good together

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Well Benning has to be in on someone. This team has nothing.

If we land Vrbata, it will be at an overpayment. 5x5.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
I just think it would be nice if we could have ONE legit top 6 winger to play with Bonino.
Vrbata and Bonino could be good together

I could see something like-

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

This gives that second line a defensive, veteran presence and gives the Sedins a triggerman.

Lundface*

People will laugh and pretend the world is ending, but I'd sign him to big money and short term.

They have so much capspace left and are decent in that regard over the next couple of years with no major raises expected. I'd go 2 years 6 million per....if he wants more of a 5 year 5.5 per and rejects the offer, up it to 6.5/7.

The team NEEDS top 6 forwards especially with what Benning has done. You don't get a crap return for Kesler based around now pieces and sign a goalie to a boatload of money if you don't plan to compete even a little bit now.

It will be two years before the prospects Van has now will be ready anyways. Give Kassian a 2nd line spot as well, and move Jensen up when injuries occur.

In two years when his contract is up, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Fox, Cassels, Virtanen, Jensen.....someone from this group will be ready to be a full time player when his contract is up.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Burrows Bonino Kassian
Higgins Horvat/Matthias Hansen

It isn't great but it beats the lottery team Benning has assembled so far.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah, but I've seen a lot of people pencil Vrbata in at Left Wing and I don't think he's ever played there. I also think we need a "shutdown" line. Bonino isn't capable of playing tough comp, and I'd like to have Burrows on that line.

I don't know, Vrbata is a LH shooter but he has always played RW.

I don't think we have the makeup for a shutdown line though, and utilizing one wouldn't be conductive to developing our youth. While we lack high end talent we have enough depth that we can utilize our 4th line as the shutdown and role 4 lines fairly evenly. So should we sign Vrbata, I'd like to see us role something roughly like:

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows - 18mp
Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata - 16mp
Jensen-Vey/Horvat/Santorelli-Kassian - 13mp
Matthias-Richarson-Dorsett - 13mp

And I've always liked him but we have room to trade Hansen for 2015 draft picks. Of course minutes would never work out perfectly with special teams, but something to that ratio.

You can maybe swap Jensen with Burrows here to give the third line some veteran D, but Jensen looked best last season when playing LW on the line with Henrik and Burrows.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
When I say Vrbata is inconsistent, I mean he will disappear and when he's not scoring, he's not a good player.

Last year, for example, he had points in only 36 out of 80 games. Those multi-point games are nice, but the 3 games in between them where he does nothing, are not so great.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I don't know, Vrbata is a LH shooter but he has always played RW.

I don't think we have the makeup for a shutdown line though, and utilizing one wouldn't be conductive to developing our youth. While we lack high end talent we have enough depth that we can utilize our 4th line as the shutdown and role 4 lines fairly evenly. So should we sign Vrbata, I'd like to see us role something roughly like:

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows - 18mp
Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata - 16mp
Jensen-Vey/Horvat/Santorelli-Kassian - 13mp
Matthias-Richarson-Dorsett - 13mp

And I've always liked him but we have room to trade Hansen for 2015 draft picks. Of course minutes would never work out perfectly with special teams, but something to that ratio.

I'd be ok rolling the dice with that in the short term, and just wait for some of our younger players to slowly fill in over the next few years.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Yeah he scores in bunches, anyone whose had him in their hockey pool knows

Out of what's left I wouldn't mind Vrbata at all I can see him playing well in Desjardins system just worried about his tendency to shy away from contact along the boards

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
When I say Vrbata is inconsistent, I mean he will disappear and when he's not scoring, he's not a good player.

Last year, for example, he had points in only 36 out of 80 games. Those multi-point games are nice, but the 3 games in between them where he does nothing, are not so great.

What do you expect from a 50 point guy? At 50 points, he's not going to produce every game. Even PPG players have stretches of games in which they don't get a point.

Points are points, they are valuable no matter when he gets them unless there's a stat that shows he only gets them when his team is leading or trailing by 3+ goals.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
What do you expect from a 50 point guy? At 50 points, he's not going to produce every game. Even PPG players have stretches of games in which they don't get a point.

Points are points, they are valuable no matter when he gets them unless there's a stat that shows he only gets them when his team is leading or trailing by 3+ goals.

Well, my point originally was that he is not worth $5M per year, and if we give that to him, I will be disappointed. He is not a player I would want on my team.

Ubik

Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver

Alright, I agree with that. Still end of year he helps the team with around 20 goals, and 50 points. We are not in a spot to go out and get point a game players.

Those 3 games in between we get by with the other 22 players on our active roster. In no way are we signing Vrbata as some saviour but just as you described him a guy who will give a goal every 3-4 games and chip in with some assists. That is all.

Even at 5m which I doubt he would get from us. If it is only 3 year deal or less, how does it really affect us? we will still have room to re-sign RFAs and have room for our ELC to move into the club, and when our window opens in 3 years he will be off the books.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Well, my point originally was that he is not worth $5M per year, and if we give that to him, I will be disappointed. He is not a player I would want on my team.

I would freakn' puke in my mouth if the Canucks signed him to a $5M per deal. I would rather give Jensen a spot on the roster full time over this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad