Canucks hire Rachel Doerrie in an analytics role

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Give it a year before she’s fired and on a different podcast trashing the canucks.
I'll wait to see or hear of results or what she's bringing to the table but if these are the kind of things she openly says in the war room, hockey men aren't a fan of baseless slander. Maybe it was an attempt to get hits.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
I only know her name from being on Twitter and there was some drama surrounding her and her departure of the Devils but I don’t recall the details.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
The whole EP injury was handled terribly by management at the time. They wanted to sell tickets, so they lied about the injury. Fans were told he was day-to-day, then it became weeks, then turned into months. It was typical Benning BS, and a lot of us were wondering what the hell was going on.

I don't have any strong feelings yet in either direction on the hire, but I'm not going to hold a podcast against her for speculating about what the deceptive dipshits in the Canucks front office were trying to cover up.

As long as she takes her job seriously and leaves the clickbait-takes at home, I'm fine with giving her a chance.

staveNsteel

Jan 18, 2021
I've listened to her on numerous podcasts and she's very knowledgeable, comes across as confident in her ability to assess. Her and Will Scouch did a great draft preview episode back in 2020, and I thought that she had some great insight. That was one of the many times I listened to her and thought the same thing. Love to see that she found a new home in Vancouver.

Reactions: Chainshot

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I hadn't heard of her until she left the Devils, then she was full of 'hot takes" about the Hughes brothers as well as a bunch of other negative stuff about the organization and fans. To me she came across as very immature and jaded

Reactions: HBK27

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
This is a really good hire in my opinion. Some of the stuff she’s done mapping player development paths seems super interesting. I’d bet she does well with them.

and for the anti analytics crowd, all the good teams have heavy analytics teams and all the shitty ones don’t. You’ve lost the war you just don’t realize it.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Thanks it appears they have removed the episode in question on multiple platforms, I will continue to try and find it.

*edit* I have found it on some random website but I am going to bed, will listen in the morning.

DM me for the link as they are obviously trying to remove it from the internet, I won't post it openly.

Did you listen to it? Curious to hear your thoughts.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
You being serious? Maybe because he was injured rehabbing his wrist meanwhile she claimed he was totally fine but just didn’t want to play? That’s is a fact. If what she said was true, why didn’t he ask for a trade in the off-season? Why sign the contract?
EP himself said he'd have played if Canucks made the playoffs so, no, she didn't make it up.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Well she's all you'd ever want,
She's the kind they'd like to flaunt and take to dinner.
Well she always knows her place.
She's got style, she's got grace, She's a winner.

"Help me build a mountain from my little pile of clay."

Love

Feb 29, 2012
EP himself said he'd have played if Canucks made the playoffs so, no, she didn't make it up.

He was injured. She said he wasn’t injured. She said he wanted to leave Vancouver and the twins were brought in to mend the relationship. That’s not true. At all.

EP saying he would’ve played through the injury if the team wasn’t shit makes no difference, and in fact confirms the fact that he was injured.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
This is a really good hire in my opinion. Some of the stuff she’s done mapping player development paths seems super interesting. I’d bet she does well with them.

and for the anti analytics crowd, all the good teams have heavy analytics teams and all the shitty ones don’t. You’ve lost the war you just don’t realize it.

I’m reading her interview in the Athletic right now and she gets it. Just an amazing take on how analytics should be used in the league.

https://theathletic.com/3083730/2022/01/21/qa-rachel-doerrie-on-why-she-chose-the-canucks-her-new-role-in-analytics-and-breaking-barriers-as-a-woman/

In order to build a successful team, you need to have the right mix of the eye test, the right mix of analytics — you need to have the right mix of high performance and mental performance. I look at it and go, “The eye test is lettuce, the analytics is dressing and all of the toppings are things like mental performance and things of that nature.” It’s one of those things where I’ve learned that it can’t be all math but it can’t be all eye test because you need some kind of mechanism of unbiased evaluation to give you a barometer of where you are. That can help interrupt some of the cognitive biases you may have as a talent evaluator.

In hockey, you still need the (traditional) talent evaluation because you need to understand things like dressing room dynamics, how players fit within a certain coach’s system — but again, you also need unbiased ways of measuring performance.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
That’s a great philosophy. But it doesn’t always work that way. And one side is on the losing end way more than the other side. If only it was a perfect world….

I’ll summarize. Racism adversely affects everyone. But it hurts black people more than it hurts white men. By a lot. A whole lot. A difference that can’t even be compared lot.
The bolded makes you come across as sexist as well as racist.

Maybe it's time to stop judging people for what they are and start judging them for who they are.

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
The bolded makes you come across as sexist as well as racist.

Maybe it's time to stop judging people for what they are and start judging them for who they are.
It comes across that way because they are those things... lots of people that share that ideological view will even openly admit that they don't like white people

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Is this news because she is a female? Who really cares. Hire the best people for that position. If it’s a female it’s a female and move on. I never see any other announcements of people being hired in these positions

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Is this news because she is a female? Who really cares. Hire the best people for that position. If it’s a female it’s a female and move on. I never see any other announcements of people being hired in these positions

because representation matters. Announcing that they hired another white guy who played 8 years in the ahl isn’t news. The most regressive sport in the Western Hemisphere should make announcements whenever they hire a woman or a bipoc bc they are wildly underrepresented in the sport.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
Did you listen to it? Curious to hear your thoughts.

I did and it seems like someone is just running their mouth for clout, giving her the benefit of the doubt and assuming someone actually told her that, it's still not a good look for a new hire. Makes me think these big organizations don't properly vet people. Just googling her name and then adding the Canucks in the search yields the episode in question, would have been top 3 results prior to her being hired, seems like either they don't care or didn't do their basic job.

Reactions: Love

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
She’s said a lot of stupid stuff before. Strikes me as somebody who needs to feel like the most opinionated person in the room at any time.

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
because representation matters. Announcing that they hired another white guy who played 8 years in the ahl isn’t news. The most regressive sport in the Western Hemisphere should make announcements whenever they hire a woman or a bipoc bc they are wildly underrepresented in the sport.
Ok no problem about someone who is female or black. Judgments of character is most important no? But what’s wrong with someone who played seven years in the NHL and is white? Why is that a problem?

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Ok no problem about someone who is female or black. Judgments of character is most important no? But what’s wrong with someone who played seven years in the NHL and is white? Why is that a problem?

nothing is wrong with that but there are no barriers to entry for those guys. That’s the profile of 99% of all nhl hires in history.

Reactions: Discoverer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad