Rumor: Canucks have started negotiating an extension for Kuzmenko

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
he will be a 29 year old 6million AAV 35G winger. those don't get 1st and top prospect. Those are plentiful at TDL.

right now, he is a top line winger that is likely to get 35 goals, with a decent enough history of excelling in the KHL like a Panarin. and he makes under 1 million.

I'm sure he will fetch a high 2nd or low 1st. for a team like Avs, who may not get Landeskog back, or if Vegas/Wild has to shut Stone/Zuccarello down, Kuzmenko can come right in

Giroux at 35 yr old just got :

1st
Florida's recent 10th overall pick - Owen Tippett
3rd round pick

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
As a rental in 2-3 years after scoring 35 goals every season he will 100% get:

1st and top prospect at minimum.

Likely now, he gets a 2nd round pick..

Canucks dont need to sell low
A 26 year old making 850K on pace for 30G and 71 points, only a 2nd? Care to elaborate?

if they pay him that means they have to dump one or more of Boeser and Garland for scraps.
Just more brutal asset management. And if the logic is about keeping EP happy, then they have their priorities in the wrong place.

They should absolutely be selling all of their UFA‘s for top return. They could be going into this loaded draft next summer with four first rounders and still have a top six next year of:

Mik-EP-BB
Gar-JT-Hog/Pod

With other good young assets returned and all those draft picks and cap space there’s no way they are not a better team instantly than what we’re got right now.

Reactions: wetcoast

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I don’t really understand Canucks management continuing to sign those kind of player…. They signed JT Miller instead of capitalizing on his trade value while they were out of playoff. They are at the same position than my team in standings. I would be upset if Montreal wanted to sign Monahan, even if he been a good player until his injury. This is not the way to leave the no man’s land

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
A 26 year old making 850K on pace for 30G and 71 points, only a 2nd? Care to elaborate?

if they pay him that means they have to dump one or more of Boeser and Garland for scraps.
Just more brutal asset management. And if the logic is about keeping EP happy, then they have their priorities in the wrong place.

They should absolutely be selling all of their UFA‘s for top return. They could be going into this loaded draft next summer with four first rounders and still have a top six next year of:

Mik-EP-BB
Gar-JT-Hog/Pod

With other good young assets returned and all those draft picks and cap space there’s no way they are not a better team instantly than what we’re got right now.

You claim its a loaded draft ( which it is) yet you have teams trading away their 1st round picks like candies. 1st round picks will be held on this year by alot of teams because it is a laoded draft.

I'm not against trading Kuzmenko if it means were getting a 1st and maybe more for sure now....im against trading Kuzmenko for a 2nd and settling.

if thats the case id rather give him a show me 2-3 year contract and trade him then for a big package, or he has then cemented his spot in our core as 29 yr old at a time in which we should be competing (2-3 years )

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Why would a 26 y/o ppg player in their prime accept 6m?

By the time that deal is over they'll be out of their prime and have wasted earning potential heavily.

Reactions: DaveG

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I think it is smart to re-sign him as EP seems to really like having him on his wing, and it gives us leverage in getting EP to sign long term. EP won't stick around for a tear down, but a retool, probably does.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Canucks are a mess.

Kuzmenko is a good player for sure, but he's the exact kind of player that the Canucks have a million of already. You need some variety with your forward group, you can't just have a bunch of Phil Kessels surrounded by whatever waiver wire caliber garbage you can pick up. Nobody is going to want the Canucks tainted assets, and keeping guys like Kuzmenko is just going to maintain the status quo. What exactly is Rutherford's plan to "retool"?

This will look like a mess if/when Horvat leaves as well.

Reactions: Truenorthducky

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’d say he is o e that the Canucks should try to keep.
Depends if they go re-tool o re-build.
Re-tool = keep him.
Re-build = dump him for picks

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Giroux at 35 yr old just got :

1st
Florida's recent 10th overall pick - Owen Tippett
3rd round pick
Kuzmenko doesn’t quite have the track record of Giroux.

Just like your JT Miller proposals last year, you have Vancouver winning every trade in a landslide. Blue chip prospects are seldom dealt. Maybe Kuz gets you a 1st this deadline or next, but I doubt someone backs up the brinks for a winger… and if I am, it’s Kane or Tarasenko. Teams will have more cap at the deadline. For a quality return, I’m guessing the sellers don’t mind retaining.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
you did not just compare Giroux with Kuzmenko 1:1.

No i did not, my context is if Kuzemnko produces in the next 3 years at lets say 35 goals a year then i have no doubt he would get more than what he would get now at this years trade deadline.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
The Canucks are a mess.

Kuzmenko is a good player for sure, but he's the exact kind of player that the Canucks have a million of already. You need some variety with your forward group, you can't just have a bunch of Phil Kessels surrounded by whatever waiver wire caliber garbage you can pick up. Nobody is going to want the Canucks tainted assets, and keeping guys like Kuzmenko is just going to maintain the status quo. What exactly is Rutherford's plan to "retool"?

This will look like a mess if/when Horvat leaves as well.
We definitely don't have a million of him. He is worth keeping just for the fact it makes signing EP long term easier.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
No i did not, my context is if Kuzemnko produces in the next 3 years at lets say 35 goals a year then i have no doubt he would get more than what he would get now at this years trade deadline.
You would think, but deadlines can occasionally be unpredictable. Some years a guy gets you a 1st. Other years, a 2nd and a 5th. You’ll have to see how the market shakes out, but there are some damn good wingers rumored to be available in the short term.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I would much rather get a 1st round pick for him. No reason to keep tying up our cap space when we aren’t even close to being competitive.

Scrap the team and rebuild FFS.
Came here to say this.

It's simply a supply and demand thing as well with 2 young wingers in Abby this year and others set in the lineup, not enough winger positions for all of the players and trading him and then possibly resigning in the offseason maximizes his value to the Canucks.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
We definitely don't have a million of him. He is worth keeping just for the fact it makes signing EP long term easier.

Ridiculous logic. You don't sign someone just because you hope that will entice someone else to stay. Trade kuzmenko and if that becomes the reason why EP doesn't sign then trade him too.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Ridiculous logic. You don't sign someone just because you hope that will entice someone else to stay. Trade kuzmenko and if that becomes the reason why EP doesn't sign then trade him too.
There is such a thing as keeping stars happy. If memory serves, every team does it. Saad for Panarin because Toews wanted Saad back. Things like that.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Why would a 26 y/o ppg player in their prime accept 6m?

By the time that deal is over they'll be out of their prime and have wasted earning potential heavily.
First off... he's not a PPG player. 38 points in 43 games is not PPG. Guess math is not your strong suit.

If you don't watch any games why are you even commenting?

Dude gets to play with one of the best players in the world in Pettersson. Petey drives play and creates a lot of his production.

Kuzmenko is also feasting on the powerplay with 10 PPP.

He's basically been given the best opportunities to produce.

Without the PP and playing alongside Petey, he's closer to a 50-60 point forward, instead of the 65-75 point production he's on pace for.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side... what if he's the next Nikita Gusev? If he likes Vancouver and wants to play with Petey, a long-term contract would be good for both parties.

$6.5M x 6 years makes a lot of sense.

Jeremy Hronek

Aug 18, 2009
chilliwack , bc
he will be a 29 year old 6million AAV 35G winger. those don't get 1st and top prospect. Those are plentiful at TDL.

right now, he is a top line winger that is likely to get 35 goals, with a decent enough history of excelling in the KHL like a Panarin. and he makes under 1 million.

I'm sure he will fetch a high 2nd or low 1st. for a team like Avs, who may not get Landeskog back, or if Vegas/Wild has to shut Stone/Zuccarello down, Kuzmenko can come right in
How often do late 1st work out? The Canucks have the chance to lock up a skilled near ppg player who will only get better.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
How often do late 1st work out? The Canucks have the chance to lock up a skilled near ppg player who will only get better.

People on these forums are obsessed with late picks.

Getting a skilled first line winger in Kuzmenko on a reasonable deal at age 26 would be wonderful for the Canucks lol.

Much rather have Kuzmenko than a late first or a couple seconds.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
People on these forums are obsessed with late picks.

Getting a skilled first line winger in Kuzmenko on a reasonable deal at age 26 would be wonderful for the Canucks lol.

Much rather have Kuzmenko than a late first or a couple seconds.
late 1st is an asset even if the prospect turns out to be soso. You know what the canucks don't have enough of? Assets. Assets to trade away when you have the cap space to fit them in your lineup when your time to load up is ripe. Sometimes though it can turn into Boeser, or Kesler or McCann or Pastrnak or Tage.

you know what is not right? The timeline to sign Kuzmenko for less than 3 years, because the team is not ready to compete in 2-3 years. Why tie up the cap space for those 3 years when instead you can use the cap space to build up asset capital? signing Kuzmenko instead of trading him at peak value is exactly why the team had been spinning its wheels as a 15th to 30th best team since the Sedins retired. Its time to recognise the concept of sell high.

Sign him for 3+ years? so by the time we need a 6 million offensive winger he will be 29+, can we guarantee he will score 35G past his prime? remember we are signing him based on his production @Prime. unlike say Boldy's deal where they are banking on savings in year 3-6, Kuzmenko's 6X6 contract will be diminishing returns.

so yeah, I want the late pick now. Outbid others this summer if they really like him next to EP.

Reactions: Tempo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad