Rumor: Canucks have started negotiating an extension for Kuzmenko

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
As per Rutherford in his presser yesterday.

According to Rutherford, Kuzmenko just loves living in Vancouver and the Canucks think that Kuzemnko will only get better so they have started negotiating a contract extension. Both sides met early this month to start hammering out the details. Obviously expect an extension to be announced before the TDL, otherwise the Canucks arent going to gamble and let him walk for nothing.

Going to guess a show me deal: 2-3 years @ 5.75m per.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

According to Rutherford, Kuzmenko just loves living in Vancouver and the Canucks think that Kuzemnko will only get better so they have started negotiating a contract extension. Both sides met early this month to start hammering out the details. Obviously expect an extension to be announced before the TDL, otherwise the Canucks arent going to gamble and let him walk for nothing.

Ya 3 years $6 mil ish per.

Reactions: McJedi and ratbid

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
I suspect it will be very similar to the Artemi Panarin contract. Similar PPG (to this point, I know small sample size) to Panarin's ELC seasons. Cap is higher now, but Kuz will have one season under his belt compared to Panarin's 2. Similar age, style of play, KHL resume etc. I'm guessing 2 years in the 6 million range.

If he decides on a longterm contract then maybe 6.5-7.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
If Kuzmenko signs a 2-3 year contract, he will cash in on his next contract…which will kick in when he’s around 30 years old. That will be a risky deal for whatever team signs him.

Reactions: BHD

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
One of the biggest breakout players this season. Van would be smart to extend him if he likes it there. Even if they do burn it down in a rebuild, they'll get more for him with some term after he's more established than he's worth now.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022

Just watched that Rutherford interview. The first 5 minutes was about season ticket holders, and fans complaining about the product on the ice.

Mentions salary cap, and contracts he would like to get rid of to make his changes for the team.

Anaheim has always had a great relationship with Vancouver. If Vancouver wants to make changes like Rutherford said in the press meeting.

To “change the product on the ice, and it’s hard to move contracts in a salary world” why hasn’t he contacted Anaheim yet?

We have a lot of cap available. And both of our teams can get a deal done. Anaheim isn’t competing anytime soon. And we can get our picks/prospects while Vancouver makes its changes that Rutherford wants to do.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
The man is going to want Jeff Skinner/JT Miller $$s.

maybe in his next nect contract but not this one.

IF that is the case for his next next next contract then thats a good problem to have for Canucks because it means Kuzmenko has sky-rocketed and they have themselves a legit superstar, or they have an even bigger trade chip than they would today.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I would much rather get a 1st round pick for him. No reason to keep tying up our cap space when we aren’t even close to being competitive.

Scrap the team and rebuild FFS.

Why would Van sell him now when he is just about to take off and explode. Even Kuzmenko says he is still learning the NA style of hockey.

I'm sure teams are saying ' its only 40-50 games' were not going to pay that much for Kuzmenko.

If Vancouver signs him to a show me contract, ala Panarin, and Kuzemnko explodes then he is going to be worth ALOT more having proved himself.

The only reason Van should sell him now is if they think his performance is a fluke, As a Canuck fan who has watched every game, Kuzmenko is not a fluke, he is legit dynamic, very creative, and can snipe.

Ya that's the smart thing to do but the Canucks are an intensely stupid organization.

Selling a stock before its about to be very very profitable is actually quite a stupid plan.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
He's probably looking at the Kaprizov situation and wondering how close he can get himself to that.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
If they can get him for $6 million or less longer than 2 years, hats off to the club for a good signing

Yes exactly, and if they want to trade him in the next 2 years they would get soo much for him after he proves himself more.

Or he becomes part of the core and helps the team compete in 2 years with the time frame for a retool plan that Rutherford has.

Tempo

Jun 13, 2019
Why would Van sell him now when he is just about to take off and explode. Even Kuzmenko says he is still learning the NA style of hockey.

I'm sure teams are saying ' its only 40-50 games' were not going to pay that much for Kuzmenko.

If Vancouver signs him to a show me contract, ala Panarin, and Kuzemnko explodes then he is going to be worth ALOT more having proved himself.

The only reason Van should sell him now is if they think his performance is a fluke, As a Canuck fan who has watched every game, Kuzmenko is not a fluke, he is legit dynamic, very creative, and can snipe.

Selling a stock before its about to be very very profitable is actually quite a stupid plan.

IMO, his value is the highest now under an ELC contract. Once you have signed him to fair market value, the appeal is gone.

Reactions: Cascadian Canadian

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
IMO, his value is the highest now under an ELC contract. Once you have signed him to fair market value, the appeal is gone.

Cap is going up and if you sold him in 2-3 years on an expiring contract after he has had
3x-30 goal season you dont think his return would be more than he would get today?

Nobody is going to give a 1st for Kuzemenko after 50 games played.

Tempo

Jun 13, 2019
Cap is going up and if you sold him in 2-3 years on an expiring contract after he has had
3x-30 goal season you dont think his return would be more than he would get today?

As a rental right now, he might get a late 1st to a contender.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
They will probably give him a 2y contract and trade him this summer. They won't compete for another couple of years and already have to deal with so many bad contracts. This franchise has seen better days

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

I think he could still return a 1st based on his low salary. Any contender could fit him in cap wise.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
They will probably give him a 2y contract and trade him this summer. They won't compete for another couple of years and already have to deal with so many bad contracts. This franchise has seen better days

I dont get this scenario?

Why would they sign him only to trade him in the summer?

Why wouldnt they just trade him at the trade deadline?

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
As a rental in 2-3 years after scoring 35 goals every season he will 100% get:

1st and top prospect at minimum.

Likely now, he gets a 2nd round pick..

Canucks dont need to sell low
he will be a 29 year old 6million AAV 35G winger. those don't get 1st and top prospect. Those are plentiful at TDL.

right now, he is a top line winger that is likely to get 35 goals, with a decent enough history of excelling in the KHL like a Panarin. and he makes under 1 million.

I'm sure he will fetch a high 2nd or low 1st. for a team like Avs, who may not get Landeskog back, or if Vegas/Wild has to shut Stone/Zuccarello down, Kuzmenko can come right in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad