Rumor: Canucks have started negotiating an extension for Kuzmenko

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
As a rental in 2-3 years after scoring 35 goals every season he will 100% get:

1st and top prospect at minimum.

Likely now, he gets a 2nd round pick..

Canucks dont need to sell low
What is the loss of talent that him putting up points and getting worse draft position cost? This year alone it could be the difference of getting Bedard or not.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
As well they should. I wouldn't really expect him to get any better at this point...but you've got a reasonably young winger who meshes fantastically with your star center. Sign him up. Just keep it reasonable on dollars, and don't forget that he's not barely out of his teens coming off an ELC.

Reactions: Cogburn

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
late 1st is an asset even if the prospect turns out to be soso. You know what the canucks don't have enough of? Assets. Assets to trade away when you have the cap space to fit them in your lineup when your time to load up is ripe. Sometimes though it can turn into Boeser, or Kesler or McCann or Pastrnak or Tage.

you know what is not right? The timeline to sign Kuzmenko for less than 3 years, because the team is not ready to compete in 2-3 years. Why tie up the cap space for those 3 years when instead you can use the cap space to build up asset capital? signing Kuzmenko instead of trading him at peak value is exactly why the team had been spinning its wheels as a 15th to 30th best team since the Sedins retired. Its time to recognise the concept of sell high.

Sign him for 3+ years? so by the time we need a 6 million offensive winger he will be 29+, can we guarantee he will score 35G past his prime? remember we are signing him based on his production @Prime. unlike say Boldy's deal where they are banking on savings in year 3-6, Kuzmenko's 6X6 contract will be diminishing returns.

so yeah, I want the late pick now. Outbid others this summer if they really like him next to EP.
He's literally playing his first season in the NHL.

What do you mean his prime? You're just assuming this is peak?

If Kuzmenko scores 70-80 points in years 2/3... how is that diminishing returns on a 6M deal? I don't think you understand what diminishing returns means.

There's a chance Kuzmenko gets even better. This is his first year in the NHL and he looks right at home. Imagine his peak form in 2-3 years with more experience and chemistry with Petey.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Kuzmenko is a hell of a player
If he gets 3 years at 6mil per, that's a steal for Van

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
If it’s a 2-3 year turnaround on rebuild rather than scorched Earth variety might be better off keeping him, barring a massive offer too good to refuse.

They should hear out offers in case.

He’s adapted well to NHL in year one, with more upside. A Panarin type rise in output (not Panarins numbers) couldn’t be ruled out.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Canucks should wait until the season is over and let his production settle out. He’s good but he’s also over performing on a bunch of unsustainable metrics.

He’s shooting 24%, has a 13.5% on-ice shooting % at 5-on-5, a 103.5 PDO and almost 60% of his points are secondary assists. All of these things are going to trend against him in the second half.

But it’s Vancouver, so may as well sign him at the peak like they did with Miller :sarcasm:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Canucks should wait until the season is over and let his production settle out. He’s good but he’s also over performing on a bunch of unsustainable metrics.

He’s shooting 24%, has a 13.5% on-ice shooting % at 5-on-5, a 103.5 PDO and almost 60% of his points are secondary assists. All of these things are going to trend against him in the second half.

But it’s Vancouver, so may as well sign him at the peak like they did with Miller :sarcasm:
Maybe he just has a super accurate shot, scoring on every 4th shot? We only have a half seasons as a sample size, he could be underperforming for his own standards in the NHL....better give him an 8 year 12.5 million dollar contract to make sure.

Jokes, but I don't see him trailing off as much as that, he's all over the ice, fighting for the puck, always in the right place at the right time, and seems to get robbed on a prime scoring chance on a one off more then anyone I've noticed on the Canucks this season. I don't think the high shooting percentage is sustainable, but Kuzmenko has so far been proven to be very, very adaptable.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I would much rather get a 1st round pick for him. No reason to keep tying up our cap space when we aren’t even close to being competitive.

Scrap the team and rebuild FFS.
That low 1st might not even end up as an NHL player unless they are trading for top end prospects like Luke Hughes. I don't want a measly 1st for an elite young offensive player like Kuzmenko who can end up looking like Panarin. Extending him even on a bridge deal won't hurt his value at all and he might boosting up his value if he has another year like this to become more established as an NHL player. People think that all 1sts are guaranteed NHL superstars when in fact we would be lucky to have that low 1st ending up like Kuzmenko. Also if you want to rebuild but think Kuzmenko is too old for that plan, then you would need to trade Pettersson and Hughes as well since they are just a couple of years younger.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
He's literally playing his first season in the NHL.

What do you mean his prime? You're just assuming this is peak?

If Kuzmenko scores 70-80 points in years 2/3... how is that diminishing returns on a 6M deal? I don't think you understand what diminishing returns means.

There's a chance Kuzmenko gets even better. This is his first year in the NHL and he looks right at home. Imagine his peak form in 2-3 years with more experience and chemistry with Petey.
my apologies for not being clear, by Prime, I mean his physical prime, most athlete's physical prime is btw 25-28 years.

So the problem for Kuzmenko is that a 3 year deal would mean his prime scoring years will fall into our retooling years per Rutherford..... i dont care how much he scores then really, those years are not contending years for this club, in fact, the more mediocre the better from asset management POV. I only care about what happens in year 4-6 for Kuzmenko because thats when all the pieces fall together, the stink of Benning over this roster will be over, thats when I want him to be an elite scorer well into the playoffs.

You the see the issue, that is when he should be falling off in production, see Miller going from 99 pts to whatever he will end up with this year age 29. there is no guarantee that his "70-80 points in years 2/3" will be sustained, that is what I mean by diminishing returns on a 6 year deal. it goes up for 2 to 3 years, then sinks in the latter part of the deal.

The latter part of the deal is when his production is important to this club.

signing Boldy/Thomas etc to these 7*7 or 8*8 makes sense. you're buying 22-30 years. Signing Kuz 3*3 is maintaining this middling existence for this club at best. When Rutherford admitted that club should be competitive in 3 years optimistically, why does it matter that Kuzmenko sets the world on fire in those years? giving us the 15OA pick those years? signing Kuz for 6-8 years is buying his 27-35 years....like a UFA, not exactly the most palatable thing to do, his production dropping off just when we need his contract to provide value.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
All I have to say is Vancouver sure has more rumors than the rest of the league combined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad