Speculation: Canucks have 49 signed players out of 50 contracts max

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011
With the signings of Horvat, Shinkaruk, and Archibald the Canucks have 49 signed players. A team cannot have more than 50. Assuming Tanev's contract will fill the 50th, this will end speculation on any additional signings by Vancouver.

This is surprising because many believed the Canucks would sign another veteran defenceman. Some were speculating Fistric or Alberts could be one of these guys. Also Canucks prospect Jeremy Price looks to become a UFA. Interesting how Gillis filled many of his contracts with depth AHL players.

Buffalo In A Carwash

Registered User?
Apr 10, 2012
Quesnel
With the signings of Horvat, Shinkaruk, and Archibald the Canucks have 49 signed players. A team cannot have more than 50. Assuming Tanev's contract will fill the 50th, this will end speculation on any additional signings by Vancouver.

This is surprising because many believed the Canucks would sign another veteran defenceman. Some were speculating Fistric or Alberts could be one of these guys. Also Canucks prospect Jeremy Price looks to become a UFA. Interesting how Gillis filled many of his contracts with depth AHL players.

That's a bummer. Was really hoping we'd resign Price, and I wouldn't mind Alberts either. :(

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, we have 4 sliding contracts (Gaunce, McEneny, Horvat, Shinkaruk) and *maybe* one of those guys, at most, will stick in the NHL this year.

That means we're still essentially at 46 contracts, and Tanev's will be the 47th.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Gaunce, McEneny, and now Horvat, Shinkaruk all are sliding contracts. At most one of them will make the roster.

But, when do they slide is my question. You probably can't count them as sliding until they're re-assigned to junior hockey (my guess, at least) so that would prevent the signing of any UFAs until camp, in that scenario. My guess is the Canucks bring a couple guys in on Try-Outs, then offer them contracts after the appropriate players have been re-assigned.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
But, when do they slide is my question. You probably can't count them as sliding until they're re-assigned to junior hockey (my guess, at least) so that would prevent the signing of any UFAs until camp, in that scenario. My guess is the Canucks bring a couple guys in on Try-Outs, then offer them contracts after the appropriate players have been re-assigned.

Not like there's a huge number of players of "quality" left out there now in any event.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I'm surprised nobody has signed Alberts right now.

Or Raymond for that matter.

Maybe these guys are looking for term and not finding takers? They could also be victims of the 'middle class' crunch. Teams are more willing to take chances with their prospects than pay veterans more with this artificially lowered cap. Teams still keep their stars as best they can, but are filling the depth positions with ELC's and RFA's.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
I can't help thinking a poster named "Numbers" should have a better grasp of the number of players allowed on the NHL Active Roster. Or is it just me?

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Or Raymond for that matter.

Maybe these guys are looking for term and not finding takers? They could also be victims of the 'middle class' crunch. Teams are more willing to take chances with their prospects than pay veterans more with this artificially lowered cap. Teams still keep their stars as best they can, but are filling the depth positions with ELC's and RFA's.
I read somewhere that no FAs signed a multi year deal since the third day of free agency or something along those lines so Alberts and Raymond could be looking for a multi year deals.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
I read somewhere that no FAs signed a multi year deal since the third day of free agency or something along those lines so Alberts and Raymond could be looking for a multi year deals.

yeah, Raymond in particular is in a tough spot, i think

having gone from a 2-year deal at $2.55 to 1-year at $2.275, having been south of a 40-pt pace both the last 2 seasons ... i bet the best he's seeing is south of $2M on a 1-year deal ... he's not all that far from Santorelli-territory, i think

Spamhuis

Mar 29, 2009
Calgary
Does Kenins contract count or does that slide as well?

I believe it slides but I'm not sure on European contracts. I do know that the Canucks could go over the limit before training camp on sliding contracts. If they did that it would mean the players with sliding contracts would have to be sent to juniors until they were in compliance With the max contracts. Fwiw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad