News Article: Canucks games at Roger's Arena are too quiet

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
There is a false dichotomy in this thread. It's not all or nothing. People are correct when they say that it's actually quite rare for someone to be told to sit down and be quiet if they're not acting overly drunk or chirping other fans too much. But the prevailing atmosphere in Rogers Arena is also undeniably dull, and unengaged which makes the overall product worse, live and also on TV.

There's a ton of middle ground here for more introverted fans to engage just a little bit more without having to do it because they were told to. Just give the players some positive reinforcement when they do something you'd like to see more of. A quality hit, a clear on the PK, a good scoring chance, a sweet pass, if you're a fan of the game you know those things are important so acknowledge it. When you're team is not doing these things they usually are going to lose.

Lets face it, pro sports on a whole is a strange tribal phenomenon and a big part of the fan experience is that power of the group and weight of numbers. I get that some people feel like they're above being some trained animal that claps on demand, but that's kind of what it's about. If you're quiet at the game, ask yourself what it would be like if everyone else was equally quiet. I think the result would vary from boring to uncomfortable. To use a sexual analogy, we're the dead fish of NHL fans. Make a little noise and it get exciting for everyone else. When everyone else is getting engaged I think the more introverted fans would participate as well.

You're still not describing/picturing the introverted fan correctly. The majority of these fans are just as emotionally invested as the enthusiastic fans, and will cheer good plays, and moan after bad plays. They just aren't going to feel the need to participate in the jumbotron/mascot/fan lead chants/cheers.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
You're still not describing/picturing the introverted fan correctly. The majority of these fans are just as emotionally invested as the enthusiastic fans, and will cheer good plays, and moan after bad plays. They just aren't going to feel the need to participate in the jumbotron/mascot/fan lead chants/cheers.

That's what I mean when I say it's a false dichotomy. Nobody seems to think they're completely at either end of the spectrum yet that seems to be all we are talking about.

There's no need to project that people are judging you for not putting "YOUR HANDS TOGETHER." That canned "MAKE SOME NOISE" stuff is dumb and I think just about everyone agrees with that. But we also can't ignore that for a sold out building the energy is pathetic. Per capita it must be the quietest building in the league. There are better, more organic ways to get fans more involved, for sure. In the end I think it comes down to people being afraid to look uncool to anyone, ever.

Something else that I think has an effect on the noise level is how easy it is go with a group of people. If everyone is pairs then I could see it being more reserved and quiet. When tickets are so expensive I think you get smaller groups of two. When tickets are cheap you might get a group of six or eight friends all sitting together and that's when I could see people starting feeling comfortable enough to make some noise and get involved without worrying what the people behind you are muttering about you.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Something else that I think has an effect on the noise level is how easy it is go with a group of people. If everyone is pairs then I could see it being more reserved and quiet. When tickets are so expensive I think you get smaller groups of two. When tickets are cheap you might get a group of six or eight friends all sitting together and that's when I could see people starting feeling comfortable enough to make some noise and get involved without worrying what the people behind you are muttering about you.

Which again shows that the Canucks need to create a "booster club" section where group seats are possible.

At the Saddledome, the Press Level (Nosebleed) seats can be purchased at Sport Chek, is there anything like that at Rogers Arena these days?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That's what I mean when I say it's a false dichotomy. Nobody seems to think they're completely at either end of the spectrum yet that seems to be all we are talking about.

There's no need to project that people are judging you for not putting "YOUR HANDS TOGETHER." That canned "MAKE SOME NOISE" stuff is dumb and I think just about everyone agrees with that. But we also can't ignore that for a sold out building the energy is pathetic. Per capita it must be the quietest building in the league. There are better, more organic ways to get fans more involved, for sure. In the end I think it comes down to people being afraid to look uncool to anyone, ever.

I think it's less about trying to look cool and more about just not wanting to do it. When I watch games, I organically expel groans/gasps/noises like everyone else, but if I were forced to go out of my way to audibly "cheer" vocally, I think it would make the experience far less enjoyable for me, personally.

The idea that everyone should go along with it because THEY feel embarrassed by it and THEY value that aspect alot is kind of silly. It's a little like getting mad that people in your city don't go clubbing enough because you want the city to have a better reputation for having a great night life.

Last edited:

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
It wasn't that long ago that the crowd was probably around the middle of the pack in terms of building energy. I remember going to a game in the 2nds round against the Ducks and the building was really loud for the whole game. It seemed to me there was a general feeling that we were helping by making the building a louder place and giving some adrenaline to the players. They lost in the end but it was a tight game and my sense was that the fans wanted to put in an effort that matched the teams effort.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that players who get paid millions of dollars shouldn't need additional motivation but we all know that's not the case based on many different situations we seen the Canucks go through over the years. Having a passionate crowd that can express that is another positive factor for a team. Whether that translates into a 0.1% increase in winning percentage, or a 10% increase in winning percentage, I have no idea but it would be nice if the Vancouver crowd could get there somehow.

All that being said, I get why people don't feel like going nuts at the game. I kind of feel the same way now when I'm there. There's an oppressive silence that hangs in there that just makes it feel like it would be inappropriate to shout something. All I can think of is making the music a little more quiet might help the silence not be so deafening when they cut Justin Timberlake or whoever is playing as the puck drops. Maybe get some charismatic vendors to talk as they walk up and down the aisles to break the silence. Get rid of the cheesy "pump up" sounds clips. Play better music that inspires people to converse a little. Less advertizing in your face. Cheaper beer wouldn't hurt but we all know that's not happening.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I agree. Too many hipsters snd suits with the attitude of "I'm too cool to really be a fan" telling me to quiet down, **** off

Do people actually wear suits to the games? :laugh:

Man I am so going to wear a suit next time; I imagine it will piss a lot of idiots off.

I just got tickets from a client at work this morning, and I am going to be wearing a suit... Ideally I wish I had a chance to go home/change and what not but its not really an option tonight.

Better believe im going to be cheering loud and booing Kesler.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
It's not terrible but it could be better. Some good games like the Tampa or the wild Oilers game had a good atmosphere, but if the game isn't really good it can be very quiet.

DiggerDan

Jul 22, 2003
Canada
hfboards.com
Expensive beer and cheap weed = quiet arena.

HAHAHAHA yeah I wish that was the only reason it's quiet. Expensive beer definitely doesn't help - that's for sure.

Sorry, but I call BS on anyone that says it's better having a quiet crowd. It absolutely isn't. Do you prefer going to a regular season game than a playoff one?? It's fairly obvious that ONE of the reasons a playoff game is better is because of the intensity, which in part comes from the (loud) crowd.

Games in the 80's (and 90's) were much louder, and while the venue wasn't' as comfortable it was more fun.

Last year I was at a game in the last row of the lower bowl where two guys beside me that were having fun and cheering loudly were told to sit down by security because they were 'bothering the crowd;' they were not, and were also not obstructing anyones view. That was an example of what I consider to be the wrong attitude at a hockey game. It's OK to get loud and should be encouraged IMO!

:yo::yo::yo:

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Games in the 80's (and 90's) were much louder, and while the venue wasn't' as comfortable it was more fun.

:

My first game was in Pacific Coliseum in the early nineties. All I remember was a fellow fan beating the living daylights out of a Flames fan, in the cheap seats. No ushers to be found. Ahh, what a time to be alive.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I haven't read the comments in this thread past the original post, but if it's like any of the other half dozen threads I've seen over the years where someone complains that our building is too quiet on this board, it's mostly Canucks fans saying they don't like to make make noise at games, and don't like it when other people do. Which, of course, always perfectly proves the point about Canucks fans being entirely worthy of this complaint about them. This complaint that has been around for many years, and shall continue to be around for many more.

The far-too-popular "no sounds please, I'm trying to watch a live hockey game" attitude is certainly not one of the reasons I'm proud of our fanbase, I can tell you that.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I haven't read the comments in this thread past the original post, but if it's like any of the other half dozen threads I've seen over the years where someone complains that our building is too quiet on this board, it's mostly Canucks fans saying they don't like to make make noise at games, and don't like it when other people do. Which, of course, always perfectly proves the point about Canucks fans being entirely worthy of this complaint about them. This complaint that has been around for many years, and shall continue to be around for many more.

The far-too-popular "no sounds please, I'm trying to watch a live hockey game" attitude is certainly not one of the reasons I'm proud of our fanbase, I can tell you that.

This kind of crap is made up

timorousme

luongod
Apr 3, 2008
The tickets are a status symbol, meaning for some, the most important stat of the night is their facebook likes.

This franchise also has a history where you're afraid to cheer for the good because you know the letdown is coming.

SpecialK139

Bo Hor-fat
Aug 8, 2012
Burnaby
Man, I'm at the game tonight and even the pregame was dead quiet! Just one dude singing for a bit, he must be a real fan

Seriously though, most people are just watching and cheer and oh when **** happens. I'm too busy enjoying live hockey to remember to cheer

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I was having a good laugh along with Shorty and Cheech, when the building was quiet enough that you could clearly hear every word out of the official's mouth at one point.

I mean, some of that is surely (hopefully) the mix from the various mics on the broadcast, and clearly not the most exciting of games...but still. Quiet.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto

putridgasbag

Grand Poohba
Oct 18, 2006
Comox Valley
HAHAHAHA yeah I wish that was the only reason it's quiet. Expensive beer definitely doesn't help - that's for sure.

Sorry, but I call BS on anyone that says it's better having a quiet crowd. It absolutely isn't. Do you prefer going to a regular season game than a playoff one?? It's fairly obvious that ONE of the reasons a playoff game is better is because of the intensity, which in part comes from the (loud) crowd.

Last year I was at a game in the last row of the lower bowl where two guys beside me that were having fun and cheering loudly were told to sit down by security because they were 'bothering the crowd;' they were not, and were also not obstructing anyones view. That was an example of what I consider to be the wrong attitude at a hockey game. It's OK to get loud and should be encouraged IMO!

Talk about BS. Games in the 80s were not that loud because nobody was there. Spent a lot of time in the 80's going to games and well you could arrive a couple of minutes before puck drop, park free a block from the Pacific Mausoleum (remember that name), pick up a ticket for a couple of bucks and wander in to a near empty arena. If the game was bad and it often was, you left any time because it didn't cost much in the first place.

embee

Apr 29, 2011
Some posters in here wouldn't do very well at a Seahawks game.

A loud arena is %100 better than a quiet one, every time. I don't care how introverted you are.

tattooedsean

Hockey Maniac!
May 16, 2012
Arizona
32 years watching this team, I'm gonna need something a little more tangible than Linden freakin Vey to start getting loud again.

And please stop with this euro-footy atmosphere gimmick. It's not going to happen in hockey in Canada. It's just a different type of sporting event, different stadium dynamic, and (especially) different cultural norms for public behaviour.

It isn't just in Euro football. That same atmosphere occurs at hockey games over there especially in Sweden as the original poster showcased in a video.

I actually like that various NHL teams are starting to allow an entire section to those that want to create atmosphere. For those that don't, they need only choose to sit elsewhere.

tattooedsean

Hockey Maniac!
May 16, 2012
Arizona

Very well said and totally agree.:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad