News Article: Canucks games at Roger's Arena are too quiet

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
In the end for it it comes down to Vancouver just being a bit too snobby of a city, connected to the whole selfie social media revolution, it leads to a large portion of people wanting to be seen at what are concerned high-class expensive events, and one of those options available to the general public are Canucks games. This leads people who aren't passionate about the game to fill the seats. This combined with a seemingly increasing mentality of personal bubbles in public, and an overall intolerance for behaviour by others that has any sort of impact of those around you (Like making a lot of noise in the arena), creates an atmosphere where people are self-conscious of how they act in public, leading most who would be on board to create a fun atmosphere to assimilate with the dominant sitting quietly crowd due to a fear of being different, or even direct requests to "settle down" by those around them.

May 31, 2006
No thanks. I hate loud stadiums.

I'm there to watch and enjoy the game, not scream and sing like a lunatic.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
32 years watching this team, I'm gonna need something a little more tangible than Linden freakin Vey to start getting loud again.

And please stop with this euro-footy atmosphere gimmick. It's not going to happen in hockey in Canada. It's just a different type of sporting event, different stadium dynamic, and (especially) different cultural norms for public behaviour.

arsmaster*

When I spend the kind of money it takes to watch a Canuck game as an islander I'm very intent on paying my undivided attention to the game. I yell at the ref a bit. Freak out when they score and what not but I'm not gonna be chanting or singing when it's pretty much a $1000 weekend for someone from the island.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Pass.

I've been to a Habs game, and while that loud crowd feel is exciting at times, I wouldn't want that every time I went. It's incredibly distracting when you're trying to watch the game.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
It's interesting isn't it.

Full disclosure: I've never been to a game at Rogers, although i'm familiar with the complaint, but I have been to a number of WHL games. One thing that struck me a those is just how deathly silent they are even with a full arena. It was so strange. Beer and tickets are cheap there.

I like this bit:
"I find myself now yearning for the “dumb” noise that I used to despise. I wasn’t a big fan of chanting the opposing goalie’s name when he was playing well. I wasn’t a fan of yelling “shoot!” all the time. I didn’t like seeing the wave when the home team isn’t winning. I wasn’t a fan of fans booing good calls by the refs just because they went against the home team. Basically I wasn’t a fan of people making noise if it was unwarranted."

To me, making noise at these kinds of things is half the fun. I go to the footy (AFL) to see my team play, but also to drink beer, get rowdy and yell **** at the players and umpires. If people get into it like that it makes you feel like part of a crowd, rather than simply a bunch of people sitting together watching something. I don't get the idea that focusing intently on the game and making noise are mutually exclusive, that's not the case in my experience.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
It's a combination of it's so damn expensive, and how harsh security is on anyone getting even the slightest bit rowdy, I mean you are dropping hundreds of dollars, are you gonna risk any sort of behaviour that gets you kicked out? And the fact is making any noise beyond applause or saying "wooo" occasionally is likely to get you reported or admonished, you hear as much cheering and hollering in a bar with the game on tv as you do in the arena. It takes a bit of a critical mass of noisemaking in the arena before most people start to feel comfortable making noise, seems like it's only rarely that the people in Rogers Arena become "a crowd" as opposed to "a collection of individual people."

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I don't get the "I don't want to be around people making a bunch of noise. I want to sit there and concentrate on the game"...

.... you can do that from home.... for free.... in HD.... instant replays... full commentary.

Why would you not want an electric playoff like vibe at EVERY game?

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Seriously people? You can't cheer/be loud and watch the game intently? It's not that difficult of a multi-task.

I think it's kind of sad that the team's coach actually said the building was dead and they had to try harder to create their own energy (not that it is the fans' job to energize the team, but it can surely help).

A lively building makes the game more fun for the people in attendance, people watching at home and the players themselves. If you wanna sit quietly and concentrate just do it at home. Obviously you can do whatever you want with your money and it's not against the law to buy a ticket and be quiet, but you should think of it as part of the experience. It's like going to a carnival and not playing any games or going on any rides lol.

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
When I spend the kind of money it takes to watch a Canuck game as an islander I'm very intent on paying my undivided attention to the game. I yell at the ref a bit. Freak out when they score and what not but I'm not gonna be chanting or singing when it's pretty much a $1000 weekend for someone from the island.

Same here. I'm a quiet person regardless, but especially when I'm at hockey games. All I want to do is focus on the game. It doesn't bother me at all if people are loud and cheering obviously, it's just not my style.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
when i watch a canucks game on tv, i'm not loud. i may ooooh and ahhhh at near misses and shout a yessssssssss when they score...but that's about it.

just because i go watch a game at rogers arena i'm suddenly supposed to manufacture noise that i wouldn't normally make while watching it at home?

no thanks. you can't force me to do anything.

i'll cheer when i feel like it.

:handclap:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
People do not drink and drive. You can't get very wild on one beer.

Anyway, there was an exit poll at a baseball game and most people didn't know what the score in the game was. It's not about the game for a lot of folks. It's an event. Canucks strive to make their games into events with much ceremony. Where's the mystery?

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI

Haha ya coming from the island makes it pricey. Add in the old lady, few extra nights in van, shopping, dinners, drinks, Its damn near the same as going to mexico for 2 of us

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I know it said not to blame the dj but holy does the new one suck too

Why so much top 40 electronic music at a hockey game? And that "make some noise" ugh

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
And please stop with this euro-footy atmosphere gimmick. It's not going to happen in hockey in Canada. It's just a different type of sporting event, different stadium dynamic, and (especially) different cultural norms for public behaviour.

Yeah. The idea of that whole Euro Soccer game type atmosphere at a hockey game is pretty goofy to me. It's annoying more than anything else. Hockey is a very different game, very different atmosphere, etc.

That said, Rogers Arena is embarrassingly quiet much of the time. A bit of cheering and enthusiasm for the team to feed on wouldn't be such a terrible thing to have.

As it stands, it's a very "Vancouver" crowd. Clap a bit and act condescending when the team does something overtly positive (ie. scores a goal). Heck, the loudest the building seems to get is when people are whining about the refs.

And then blend back into the woodwork if the team isn't already dominating. Or don't even bother to show up if they don't think the team is going to win.

Just reinforces the negative stereotypes of the "Canucks fanbase" for everyone else watching games around the world basically.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
The silence is awkward. It's like going to see a comedy in the theater and nobody is laughing. It boggles my mind that people actually come out saying that getting loud at a sporting event is stupid. It makes the game feel like it matters and the team actually benefits emotionally from that energy. The players aren't robots. Nobody should have to fake it either. Just back when Lu first got here the building was loud. In the playoffs it was really loud. I'm pretty sure most of those fans are still alive watching. What happened to them? Tickets were expensive back then too.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
i do agree with the guy who wrote the article tho.

the last game i went to was so quiet, i could hear the toilet flush from the concourse bathroom during the second period.

:laugh:

MISC*

After my lobster rolls, caviar and Moët I'm much to famished to cheer for the peasants on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad