Pre-Game Talk: Canucks Full Schedule Released

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
This season is either going to be a dud or super fun, I think it looks amazing for 56 games of all Canadian teams.

10 games against Markstrom is not good news though.

Playing against Calgary so much is actually a great litmus test on whether Benning's moves this offseason were prudent or not. We'll get to see plenty of Markstrom, Tanev, and Leivo. Same with Toffoli in Montreal.

perrykaravello

John Garrett's Peanut Butter Jar
Aug 15, 2004
I remember when they moved to having 8 divisional games back in 05/06 and I think it lasted for a couple years.

Seeing teams 8 times was a snore fest and that was over 82 games. The excitement of seeing the Habs and Leafs 9 times each in 56 games won't be as fun as it sounds on paper.

Reactions: skeena1

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I remember when they moved to having 8 divisional games back in 05/06 and I think it lasted for a couple years.

Seeing teams 8 times was a snore fest and that was over 82 games. The excitement of seeing the Habs and Leafs 9 times each in 56 games won't be as fun as it sounds on paper.

I don’t think the issue with that schedule was so much the frequency with which certain teams were seen, but how rarely it meant other teams came to town. IIRC, this was when Crosby and Ovechkin had first arrived on the season, and this schedule setup meant they came to Vancouver once every other year. Just stupid.

Obviously, this schedule isn’t ideal - but it may give Vancouver and some of the other squads a taste of what the old original 6 days used to be like.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This season is either going to be a dud or super fun, I think it looks amazing for 56 games of all Canadian teams.

10 games against Markstrom is not good news though.
Considering the loss of Marky we could very easily finish second last, and only be ahead of Ottawa. With Green not getting extended yet, could he be gone if we start to fall off the pace?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Like a baseball schedule. Wouldn’t surprise me if going forward we see more of these back to back games, especially for teams that are far distances apart. Would certainly save on travel costs.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Like a baseball schedule. Wouldn’t surprise me if going forward we see more of these back to back games, especially for teams that are far distances apart. Would certainly save on travel costs.
You only play teams that are far away twice a year. So no point of this format.

32 games against the east. 50 games left. Take off say 16 more and down to 34. Divide by 7 teams it is basically 5 games each. If you up you conference opponents to 3 a year it leaves 26 games in the division so mostly 4 games per division opponent.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
You only play teams that are far away twice a year. So no point of this format.

Who says they have to be “far away” for it to make sense? Travel is travel. Charter flights aren’t cheap. Instead of Winnipeg flying to Vancouver/Seattle twice a year, maybe they only fly once? Instead of Anaheim flying to Minnesota/Chicago twice, they fly once?

Maybe not enough of a savings for the NHL to move away from the traditional format but saving money anywhere they can will be the mandate for the league for at least the next few seasons.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Who says they have to be “far away” for it to make sense? Travel is travel. Charter flights aren’t cheap. Instead of Winnipeg flying to Vancouver/Seattle twice a year, maybe they only fly once? Instead of Anaheim flying to Minnesota/Chicago twice, they fly once?

Maybe not enough of a savings for the NHL to move away from the traditional format but saving money anywhere they can will be the mandate for the league for at least the next few seasons.
Possible if the NHL wants to do it. From a fan's POV and NHL team POV, do you want the same opponent on consecutive nights? Is that good or bad for business and is that something a STH wants to do is see Winnipeg on both Friday and Saturday?

I don't know what the answer to that is.

This would reduce travel and make back to backs easier to play as the visiting team isn't spending 2-3 hours traveling after a game and then get to their hotel at 2am. thus, be more likely to be sluggish and lose the 2nd half of the back to back.

Thus increase the quality of play.

So, if you are a fan, does seeing the same team on consecutive nights who won't be tired due to travel and should give a better game, better than seeing a different opponent the next night, but they could be tired coming in from Seattle/Edmonton/Calgary/California/AZ or LV?

It would basically be down to your divisional opponents as I just hi-lited what back to back against 24 teams gets you to 48 games and leaves you with 34 left within the division with 7 opponents.

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Possible if the NHL wants to do it. From a fan's POV and NHL team POV, do you want the same opponent on consecutive nights? Is that good or bad for business and is that something a STH wants to do is see Winnipeg on both Friday and Saturday?

I don't know what the answer to that is.

I wouldn’t want to see it but at the same time I think most fans are desperate to watch anything. Probably not a long term solution or even something we’d see long term throughout the season, but it wouldn’t surprise me too see more back to back games against the same team going going forward.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
It'll either be boring as hell seeing the same teams over and over, or it'll breed playoff-like animosity and hatred.

Imagine if there's a questionable hit in a game and then you play the same team the next night or two more games shortly after.

Reactions: JenniferH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad