GDT: Canucks free agent frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
if horcoff can be traded, i am sure Booth can be as well

he is not healthy right now and he better than the alternative who will overpaid....we got to be confidence Booth regain his old form he is a top 6 forward on this team....

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Would like to see us take a run at Iginla, we could afford him if we move Booth out. But I don't like our chances of that happening. Just a couple depth signings to give the kids some competition in camp is all we really need.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
The most I see happening is probably a 3rd line center signing and maybe a few defenseman signings for depth along with 4th liners. Nothing big I think Gillis has a year or two till he is finished. Cullen or Gordon would be interesting. Seriously I don't see this team really moving anywhere this year unless we pull off some good deals. I think we should have sucked this year but whatever we got 9th overall. I think we should try and get to the top 6 in the draft and then if we have a pick with enough junior experience and is NHL ready we will have a sick young team.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Kassian
Shinkaruk-Horvat-Jensen
(Pick)-Guance-Hansen

Booth traded or bought out.

You realize that almost every team is becoming worse this season because of a lowering cap, right? If we can keep the same group together, ditch some of the dead weight and add some valuable depth, and most importantly if Torts can motivate the core, we have a good chance. People seem to forget that every team is cutting corners this year, and most competitive teams do not have money to spend. Where are teams cutting corners? Often depth players, since they can't cut out core players. We actually have some pretty good depth, overall.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
I don't know how next year is much better for us. Sedins, Kassian (rfa) and Hansen free up $14m, but that's a huge hole up front. Doubt any of our draft picks of Jensen, Gaunce, or this years guys will be front line ready, either. As badly as Gillis has maneuvered the team into a corner now, I have little hope (based on past experience) that he can fix it. He's hopeless.

Chwc

Sep 6, 2008
Vancouver
he is not healthy right now and he better than the alternative who will overpaid....we got to be confidence Booth regain his old form he is a top 6 forward on this team....

that's true, i am hoping he could return to be a top 6 pwf as well :yo:
like every poster is saying we will be targeting the blum, gordon, halischuk...
however i have a tiny hope Gillis and Gilman can work some cap magic and perhaps get a Cullen or Ryder.
What's the league minimum for this season? perhaps they could sign our 13th forward and 7/8th D to league minimum, wondering if those saving could upgrade us from a Lapierre to Cullen.
Not sure how exactly we could pull it out though, maybe put booth on the LTIR :sarcasm:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
that's true, i am hoping he could return to be a top 6 pwf as well :yo:
like every poster is saying we will be targeting the blum, gordon, halischuk...
however i have a tiny hope Gillis and Gilman can work some cap magic and perhaps get a Cullen or Ryder.
What's the league minimum for this season? perhaps they could sign our 13th forward and 7/8th D to league minimum, wondering if those saving could upgrade us from a Lapierre to Cullen.
Not sure how exactly we could pull it out though, maybe put booth on the LTIR :sarcasm:

http://capgeek.com/new-cba/
MINIMUM NHL SALARY

2012-13: $525,000
2013-14: $550,000
2014-15: $550,000
2015-16: $575,000
2016-17: $575,000
2017-18: $650,000
2018-19: $650,000
2019-20: $700,000
2020-21: $700,000
2021-22: $750,000

I think it's likely that we sign a 13th forward and 8th d-man for ~600k each.

StringerBell

Another name that might be worth mentioning is Ruslan Fedetenko. I don't see where he fits on our team but he played for Torts in Tampa and NYR and would come cheap. I could see management kicking the tires there.

Chwc

Sep 6, 2008
Vancouver
Another name that might be worth mentioning is Ruslan Fedetenko. I don't see where he fits on our team but he played for Torts in Tampa and NYR and would come cheap. I could see management kicking the tires there.

I believe he signed with a team in the KHL already?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Cheap-as players I'd have some interest in :

Nick Holden
Erik Nystrom
Ryan Whitney (if his value has fallen far enough)
Lennart Petrell
Ryan Jones
Jack Skille
Dustin Penner (yeah, not joking there)
Brad Richardson
Tom Gilbert
Brandon Yip
Marek Zidlicky
Ty Wishart
Guillaume Latendresse
Kyle Chipchura
Benoit Pouliot
Mike Kostka
Ryan O'Byrne

_________

The goal should be to get some contributing players for under $1 million. How well we can harvest the dregs of the league will be huge. If guys won't sign cheap, don't want them. Mix of guys in there that I've listed - some established players (Penner, Gilbert) due for huge paycuts after bad years, some middling players who had an off year, some young players who might be able to step up.

Mike Kostka is a guy I find really interesting, was elite in the AHL last year, and then started the year playing ridiculous minutes for Toronto and looked really good. Then he fell off a cliff late in the year. But he certainly showed potential, and looked like a guy who could handle 3rd pairing minutes pretty well.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
This is the most depressing FA frenzy, but for some reason It's gonna be interesting which scrubs we bring in.

Quantity over quality! lol

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
This is the most depressing FA frenzy, but for some reason It's gonna be interesting which scrubs we bring in.

Quantity over quality! lol

Who knows, maybe in a month there will still be a couple of decent guys unsigned, and we might be able to nab one for a Torres-like contract.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
The most I see happening is probably a 3rd line center signing and maybe a few defenseman signings for depth along with 4th liners. Nothing big I think Gillis has a year or two till he is finished. Cullen or Gordon would be interesting. Seriously I don't see this team really moving anywhere this year unless we pull off some good deals. I think we should have sucked this year but whatever we got 9th overall. I think we should try and get to the top 6 in the draft and then if we have a pick with enough junior experience and is NHL ready we will have a sick young team.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Kassian
Shinkaruk-Horvat-Jensen
(Pick)-Guance-Hansen

Booth traded or bought out.

Why ? He's got 17 goals, 15 assists in 68 games while being injured often. He's just under a half point per game.

For a team needing secondary scoring, that seems pretty damn stupid.

Everyone demanded Kesler be put with a big power forward that had the speed to keep up before. What magical player is going to replace him ?

Remember Bieksa when he was injured often a couple years ago ? He's fine now and Booth will get out of it.

And this isn't a video game. You can just click a couple buttons and acquire top six players. People act as if there's a surplus of top six players in the NHL.

I wish we weren't allowed to suggest to drop a player without a reasonable, realistic replacement named.

Outside99*

Cheap-as players I'd have some interest in :

Nick Holden
Erik Nystrom
Ryan Whitney (if his value has fallen far enough)
Lennart Petrell
Ryan Jones
Jack Skille
Dustin Penner (yeah, not joking there)
Brad Richardson
Tom Gilbert
Brandon Yip
Marek Zidlicky
Ty Wishart
Guillaume Latendresse
Kyle Chipchura
Benoit Pouliot
Mike Kostka
Ryan O'Byrne

_________

The goal should be to get some contributing players for under $1 million. How well we can harvest the dregs of the league will be huge. If guys won't sign cheap, don't want them. Mix of guys in there that I've listed - some established players (Penner, Gilbert) due for huge paycuts after bad years, some middling players who had an off year, some young players who might be able to step up.

Mike Kostka is a guy I find really interesting, was elite in the AHL last year, and then started the year playing ridiculous minutes for Toronto and looked really good. Then he fell off a cliff late in the year. But he certainly showed potential, and looked like a guy who could handle 3rd pairing minutes pretty well.

Agree on Kostka - also played alot on his off side IIRC.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Who knows, maybe in a month there will still be a couple of decent guys unsigned, and we might be able to nab one for a Torres-like contract.

I think this is the most likely scenario.

There'll be some stupid money tossed around tomorrow, but after that, teams will be done quickly. A lot of guys who were expecting to cash in, will be on the outside looking in. And maybe waiting by the phone for a few weeks.

And that's when Gillis can maybe make a move or two.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
All I want for Free Agency this year is a Boyd Gordon and a healthy Kesler.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Gordon is going to get $2.5 million/year. Which is a ton for a #3 center that doesn't score, as good as he is defensively. Signing him would basically blow our entire UFA budget.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think this is the most likely scenario.

There'll be some stupid money tossed around tomorrow, but after that, teams will be done quickly. A lot of guys who were expecting to cash in, will be on the outside looking in. And maybe waiting by the phone for a few weeks.

And that's when Gillis can maybe make a move or two.

This is the best way to go IMO. Although I fully expect rumours like Iggy to Vancouver start floating around even though this team can't afford to sign a top 6 UFA unless salary is moved out first.

Time to go thrift shopping!

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
I think booth cap hit isn't bad......better than what this year left wingers will great...we keep forgetting about Kassasin who just continue to develop and hopefully show some of his potential

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

That's low expectations. I want top 6 help because the team I've seen for years now has proven they aren't good enough. Don't know why all anyone would want is essentially the same crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad