Confirmed with Link: Canucks fire John Tortorella, Mike Sullivan (not Glen Gulutzan)

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I won't lie. It really really sucks to see how good the Rangers are in the playoffs this year.

Maybe it was indeed the best move for AV to be let go, but that doesn't make it sting any less.

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
So do you think AV would have got the Canucks to the conference finals this season? Keep in mind he led this team to a 1-10 playoff record in their last 11 games. Those are probably the worst numbers in NHL history for a team that was a favourite going into every series...

AV couldn't get this team to perform come playoff time. A change of scenery was needed, regardless of how he or Tortorella performed this season.

Their last 11 games? 11 is a very arbitrary number encompassing parts of 3 seasons.

Lets take their last 3 playoff seasons in total. 16 wins 18 losses in their last 3 playoff seasons.

Yes, the latter two years only produced 1 win in 9 games, but his personnel diminished.

He went from a great team in 2011, to a diminished but strong team in 2010, to a shadow of itself with no secondary scoring in 2009. He had a GM that didn't think offense was an issue.

And he still managed to do ok.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I won't lie. It really really sucks to see how good the Rangers are in the playoffs this year.

Maybe it was indeed the best move for AV to be let go, but that doesn't make it sting any less.

AV was on his last legs here, I'm glad he's having success in New York but he got as much out of this team as he can...we were all fed up with him, rightfully so..it had to happen..

Luongo had his mental lapses and he's gone..

Gillis had his moments but the last 3 years have been garbage..who didn't address scoring issues and was worried about that third line centre

We need a shift change in management

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Their last 11 games? 11 is a very arbitrary number encompassing parts of 3 seasons.

Lets take their last 3 playoff seasons in total. 16 wins 18 losses in their last 3 playoff seasons.

Yes, the latter two years only produced 1 win in 9 games, but his personnel diminished.

He went from a great team in 2011, to a diminished but strong team in 2010, to a shadow of itself with no secondary scoring in 2009. He had a GM that didn't think offense was an issue.

And he still managed to do ok.

Didn't know AV can go back in time ;)

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
AV was on his last legs here, I'm glad he's having success in New York but he got as much out of this team as he can...we were all fed up with him, rightfully so..it had to happen..

Luongo had his mental lapses and he's gone..

Gillis had his moments but the last 3 years have been garbage..who didn't address scoring issues and was worried about that third line centre

We need a shift change in management

these are kind of linked, fyi. a good third line center provides scoring and lets the top six play easier minutes. Sedins and Kesler score less when they're playing against top competition all the time. trickle down effect.

what's frustrating to me (and I'm a big Gillis fan) that it was the path of least resistance in dealing with scoring and he still couldn't do it.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Always interesting to hear what players have to say about Tortorella. From a recent interview with Chris Kreider:

Q: John Tortorella.
A: He was awesome.

Has to be said Kreider is quite positive about everyone and everything, but still....

I'm sure he has his weaknesses as a coach, but I just can't believe he is as bad as that interview with Mason would suggest.

http://nypost.com/2014/05/15/serbys-qa-with-chris-kreider/

Wetcoaster

Always interesting to hear what players have to say about Tortorella. From a recent interview with Chris Kreider:

Has to be said Kreider is quite positive about everyone and everything, but still....

I'm sure he has his weaknesses as a coach, but I just can't believe he is as bad as that interview with Mason would suggest.

Last season Tortorella was thoroughly trashed by many Ranger players during their exit interviews.

Sather had no intention of firing Tortorella until he heard from the players and that changed his mind.
http://nypost.com/2013/05/30/rangers-players-made-it-clear-to-sather-coachs-act-was-wearing-thin/

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Last season Tortorella was thoroughly trashed by many Ranger players during their exit interviews.

Sather had no intention of firing Tortorella until he heard from the players and that changed his mind.
http://nypost.com/2013/05/30/rangers-players-made-it-clear-to-sather-coachs-act-was-wearing-thin/

If Larry Books of the NY Post is anything like Larry Brooks of the NY Post I wouldn't expect anything else from him.

The only other Rangers player I have heard specifically talk about Tortorella is Zuccarello. He said he liked Tortorella as well.

I understand that the players that didn't like him would never (or rarely) speak badly about him to the media as it would most likely just hurt their careers, but I find it hard to believe some of the things now said about him. Always nice to have an explanation for a poor season though......

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Wake up, Havre. Nobody is going to trash Tortorella publicly. It's unprofessional and reflects badly on them, especially on the off-chance they have to play for him again.

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC
these are kind of linked, fyi. a good third line center provides scoring and lets the top six play easier minutes. Sedins and Kesler score less when they're playing against top competition all the time. trickle down effect.

what's frustrating to me (and I'm a big Gillis fan) that it was the path of least resistance in dealing with scoring and he still couldn't do it.

I agree, although in fairness to Gillis, the cap changes for the last 2 seasons really boxed him in.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Did you include his complete answer? Kreider is a great kid who does not say anything bad about anyone. I have little doubt he is happy about the coaching change. When Krieder scored his hat trick versus you guys Ranger fans and media knew there was a personal aspect after being in Torts dog house for a year.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If Larry Books of the NY Post is anything like Larry Brooks of the NY Post I wouldn't expect anything else from him.

The only other Rangers player I have heard specifically talk about Tortorella is Zuccarello. He said he liked Tortorella as well.

I understand that the players that didn't like him would never (or rarely) speak badly about him to the media as it would most likely just hurt their careers, but I find it hard to believe some of the things now said about him. Always nice to have an explanation for a poor season though......

It is very rare for a Rangers player to be negative in the press but 2 guys that have been very good in these playoffs (Gaborik and Dubinsky) have let people know what they thought of Torts.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Regarding Zooks 2 seasons ago the Rangers had some injuries. On at least 4 occasions our AHL coaches told Torts that Zooks was the most deserving guy to be promoted. Torts ignored their advice each time.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Did you include his complete answer? Kreider is a great kid who does not say anything bad about anyone. I have little doubt he is happy about the coaching change. When Krieder scored his hat trick versus you guys Ranger fans and media knew there was a personal aspect after being in Torts dog house for a year.

I included everything he said about Tortorella. He goes on talking about how awesome AV is.

I'm not arguing it means much when Kreider says he is "awesome", but he might not be as bad as Brooks and Mason make him out to be?

Regarding Zooks 2 seasons ago the Rangers had some injuries. On at least 4 occasions our AHL coaches told Torts that Zooks was the most deserving guy to be promoted. Torts ignored their advice each time.

As a Norwegian I have "always" thought Zuccarello was ridiculously underrated (I guess that is changing now), but that is another discussion. This is about how it is to work for/with Tortorella. Zuccarello as you say would have good reasons to dislike Tortorella - as did Kreider.

I like Tortorella, but I don't really have a problem with him gone. I assume he is gone for the right reasons. Again - I just don't think he is as bad as he now comes across.

I've been told to "wake up", but surely journalists have an incentive to make a lot out of a little as well?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I included everything he said about Tortorella. He goes on talking about how awesome AV is.

I'm not arguing it means much when Kreider says he is "awesome", but he might not be as bad as Brooks and Mason make him out to be?

As a Norwegian I have "always" thought Zuccarello was ridiculously underrated (I guess that is changing now), but that is another discussion. This is about how it is to work for/with Tortorella. Zuccarello as you say would have good reasons to dislike Tortorella - as did Kreider.

I like Tortorella, but I don't really have a problem with him gone. I assume he is gone for the right reasons. Again - I just don't think he is as bad as he now comes across.

I've been told to "wake up", but surely journalists have an incentive to make a lot out of a little as well?

We are all entitled to our opinions but I will say I have never disliked a single Rangers coach or GM in 40 years other than Torts. I actually think most players could say 200 more bad things about him but they take the high road. I think he is a very rude and stubborn man that was fired twice in 11 months for a reason despite millions left on his contracts.

Wetcoaster

There were similar reports from a number of media members.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
The results speak for themselves... I could not care less if every one on the team hated Torts, If he had got them to the WCF...

I guess Kesler did not want to be on a winning team, of he is a poor judge of coaching

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
We are all entitled to our opinions but I will say I have never disliked a single Rangers coach or GM in 40 years other than Torts. I actually think most players could say 200 more bad things about him but they take the high road. I think he is a very rude and stubborn man that was fired twice in 11 months for a reason despite millions left on his contracts.

Well I guess the fact Keenan was the coach when the Rangers won the Cup gets him a pass in the likeability department (don't have to like a coach if he gets results - after all, this isn't a Mr Congeniality contest).

ccm4321

Apr 11, 2014

So you were ok with the Trottier signing? The Esposito years? Sather, who has been a disaster for the most part???

Torts did some good things with the Rangers, but it was time for a change. He is actually a nice guy personally, he is just is a bit over the top while coaching.

You really don't sound like someone who follows the Rangers very well....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad