Confirmed with Link: Canucks fire John Tortorella, Mike Sullivan (not Glen Gulutzan)

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Continue

Canucks press release.

Tortorella & Sullivan relieved of coaching duties

Thursday, 01.05.2014 / 1:15 PM / News
Vancouver Canucks

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks President of Hockey Operations Trevor Linden announced today that Head Coach John Tortorella and Assistant Coach Mike Sullivan have been relieved of their coaching duties.

“Today we are making an important change in the direction of our team,” said Linden. “On behalf of the entire organization, we extend our thanks to John, Mike and their families for their commitment to the Canucks and wish them the very best.”

“We have a lot of important work to accomplish this off-season as we build our management and coaching staff, improve our roster and connect with our fans,” added Linden. “Our General Manager search is well underway and we will begin assessing head coaching candidates immediately.”​
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=717522

To Add:
https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/status/461712994087342081
Torts to be fired tomorrow according to Farhan Lalji

Last edited by a moderator:

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Keep Torts. Fire the assistants. Hire a GM to get rid of the country club and NTC's. Let's get this retool on it's way.

John Bender*

Keep Torts. Fire the assistants. Hire a GM to get rid of the country club and NTC's. Let's get this retool on it's way.

Ugh, I hate the country club notion. This team is under an incredible amount of pressure. They are lead by an incredibly hard working group of players. Are they any good? Maybe not much anymore, but they are not lazy loafing athletes.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Ugh, I hate the country club notion. This team is under an incredible amount of pressure. They are lead by an incredibly hard working group of players. Are they any good? Maybe not much anymore, but they are not lazy loafing athletes.

Their play this year and previous years on the ice demonstrates otherwise. The flames are a good example what you are describing, but not us.

Wetcoaster

It should be up to the coach to select his assistants.

Remember the disaster when Ryan Walter was foisted upon AV?

John Bender*

Their play this year and previous years on the ice demonstrates otherwise. The flames are a good example what you are describing, but not us.

I don't agree. Based on what you are saying, the sedins are lazy players. Do the Canucks have the wrong type of players? Maybe. But they are not lazy.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Wetcoaster said:
Just make sure you do not incite a riot while wearing the mask.

Bill C-309—the Preventing Persons from Concealing Their Identities during Riots and Unlawful Assemblies Act—makes it a crime punishable by a ten-year prison term to incite a riot while wearing a mask or any face covering, including face paint.

Someone who merely participates in a riot or in an “unlawful” assembly with their face covered can, under the new law, be deemed to have committed an indictable criminal offense and jailed for up to five years.
I was actually making a reference to the clowns who protested 'fire gillis' while wearing balaclavas. If I do make my displeasure known - and I might - I have too big of an ego to ever protest anonymously.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I see Torts as a Keenan-esque figure in the history of the franchise.

I would love to see Linden kick a Keenan figure out of town.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I love what Keenan did for this team.
Yeah, Linden for Luongo, a Sedin, Bertuzzi, Markstrom, Matthias, Ruutu, is a pretty great haul.

but he was a disaster on the ice so no use keeping him.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I see Torts as a Keenan-esque figure in the history of the franchise.

I would love to see Linden kick a Keenan figure out of town.

the animosity towards torts isn't there like it was for keenan

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
From the previous thread:

tantalum said:
That's simply not true. Ice time does not equal development. There are countless examples of that. Putting players in position to succeed if agree with but not simply icetime.

For many young players just handing them icetime is a sure way to stunt their growth as players whether through loss of confidence or something else.

Yeah this. Just look at a guy like Hodgson in Buffalo, where he's hardly progressed offensively OR defensively since basically being handed top line minutes. It's not always a guarantee that development will go the way you want it.

--------

Also, would love to get Blashill as a potential replacement, shame DET won't let him talk to other teams though if it's true they want him to succeed Babcock I can see why. Just don't dick the latter around. If he's the right coach for your team why fire him at all in a year? If he's not a fit anymore let him go now. Does no one any good, really.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
I don't agree. Based on what you are saying, the sedins are lazy players. Do the Canucks have the wrong type of players? Maybe. But they are not lazy.

I'm not calling all the players lazy. But there definitely are some players on this team that upon watching them in games (playoffs and regular season), show that they're clearly just there to run out the clock. I would rather not spell out their as this is entirely subjective.

Ventana*

I would love McLellan. Hopefully LA can take the Sharks out tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad