OT: Canucks Fans living in Calgary

express

Aug 18, 2005
So this is going to be my first year as a Canucks fan living in Calgary, and I have a couple of questions.

1) What's the best way to get games on TV? With Telus Optik it looks like I get Flames/Oilers broadcasts.. and between those and the nationally televised games, is the Center Ice package even worth it? I'm too busy to watch non-Canucks games, so it would be strictly to watch the Canucks.

2) Any bars around town that tend to get a higher than average number of Canucks fans and are fun to watch games at?

I live in Varsity, so close proximity to there would be preferable!

npham

Jan 19, 2007
I'm another Canucks fan in Calgary, but I have Shaw. I buy CI and get all the games, even the PPV games because we are out of market. I just PVR games that I can't watch live, and skip through the commercials. Also, if are playing the Flames, you have to watch the Calgary feed because of the TV blackout(same with the Oilers).

As for bars, there is no shortage of Canuck fans in Calgary, but if you are in Varsity, Kilkenny's is close and usually has a good mix of Canuck fans there. Shanks NW is another good location which isn't far and will have all the games on. I don't think you will find 1 bar with more Canuck fans than Flames fans, but 50/50 isn't bad. Plus is more fun to give them the gears when they get blown out.

craigcaulks*

My condolences to Canucks fans living in Calgary, you are the REAL heroes.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
I'm with Shaw as well. One Canucks fan posted on the main boards that they got Center Ice from Shaw for 43$ + tax. If so, that is like a buck a game. I'm definitely signing up.

I think there are around 18-19 national/local (edmoton/Calgary) games this year.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
My condolences to Canucks fans living in Calgary, you are the REAL heroes.

It's actually been lots of fun the last few seasons.

As for the orginal question, in terms of bars, if you are willing to go downtown "The Pig and Duke" have said they will show Canucks games with sound, Kilks may not if they aren't playing the Flames.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I'm going to try and take the game in at the new Tilted Kilt on 17th Ave. Hopefully there's no Flames hooligans there to taunt me.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I'm going to try and take the game in at the new Tilted Kilt on 17th Ave. Hopefully there's no Flames hooligans there to taunt me.

Enjoy the Short Skirts and Skimpy Tops...

Side note: Gonna miss Bob the Fish, was a good Sasky bar, so much fun trash talking those Melon heads during the CFL season.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Some serious advice.

-Skip the car flag, my cars been vandalized numerous times with it.
-Be careful at the Dome. I rarely wear jerseys anymore because I've been punched in the face after more than one Flame blow out. I'm really not mouthy either, I just don't like being harassed.
-Buy an Apple TV and order NHL Gamecenter Live. It's the easiest way to get games on your TV and it's extremely high quality. An Apple TV will run you $110 and NHL Gamecenter Live is $50 this season, also a free trial period.
-It sucks being a Canucks fan here. A lot. Keep a cooler head in all arguments (as there are no discussions regarding Canucks vs Flames here) and you will prevail.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Some serious advice.

-Skip the car flag, my cars been vandalized numerous times with it.
-Be careful at the Dome. I rarely wear jerseys anymore because I've been punched in the face after more than one Flame blow out. I'm really not mouthy either, I just don't like being harassed.
-Buy an Apple TV and order NHL Gamecenter Live. It's the easiest way to get games on your TV and it's extremely high quality. An Apple TV will run you $110 and NHL Gamecenter Live is $50 this season, also a free trial period.
-It sucks being a Canucks fan here. A lot. Keep a cooler head in all arguments (as there are no discussions regarding Canucks vs Flames here) and you will prevail.

Thanks for the tips, my wife got us tickets to a couple games this year, was planning on going incognito, I don't like dealing with drunks.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
You're fine wearing a Canuck jersey to the Dome. There are tons there...

Wearing one during the playoffs is a different story. Especially if you're in the nosebleeds. I wore mine in 2004 and there wasn't another to be found in the entire upper level. It was a great time, though I enjoy hostility. :naughty:

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
You're fine wearing a Canuck jersey to the Dome. There are tons there...

Wearing one during the playoffs is a different story. Especially if you're in the nosebleeds. I wore mine in 2004 and there wasn't another to be found in the entire upper level. It was a great time, though I enjoy hostility. :naughty:

I've also been fine wearing my jersey in the dome. I was actually thinking of checking out the Sharks Club at Deerfoot Meadows

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Bump...waiting on that review

Lol sorry, definitely forgot. Wasn't great. Scenery was good, but couldn't hear myself think. A byproduct of the leftover super drunk Leaf fan and UFC fan d-bags that were pretty drunk by the time the Canucks game started. I wasn't the only person cheering when they scored at least, heard some other applause at the other end of the place :)

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
Lol sorry, definitely forgot. Wasn't great. Scenery was good, but couldn't hear myself think. A byproduct of the leftover super drunk Leaf fan and UFC fan d-bags that were pretty drunk by the time the Canucks game started. I wasn't the only person cheering when they scored at least, heard some other applause at the other end of the place :)

Ah thanks for the review. So it seems like it would be decent to go on a weeknight game. Food was good?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad