Confirmed with Link: Canucks extend Jim Benning’s contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
. He had an uphill battle, and has assembled a team that has an electrifying young core, a deep prospect pool, and a ton of cap space the next four years. Benning haters have been rehashing the same garbage for 3 years. Time to move on and enjoy what Benning has put together.

We have like 3 good young players on our NHL roster and an absolute boatload of mediocre to below replacement level vets, but ok, sure, electricfying youth.
We do not have a deep pool.
We don't have tons of cap space.

Honestly the team you're talking about is the ****ing Colorado Avalanche, not the Vancouver Canucks.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
I love how there was a thread on who our next GM would be and Benning supporters like me and the majority of the actual fanbase, not the HF haters kept saying he deserved and would be extended. I bet if a poll showing age of Benning haters was done ot would be mostly millenials. Haters seem to expect every trade, signing, draft pick to work out. They also want every trade to be our garbage for a top pick, player, or prospect. Beninng has made mistakes, but at least they going forward have been rectified or wont be any type of anchor. He had an uphill battle, and has assembled a team that has an electrifying young core, a deep prospect pool, and a ton of cap space the next four years. Benning haters have been rehashing the same garbage for 3 years. Time to move on and enjoy what Benning has put together.

A bottom team with no cap space and mammoth untradable contracts in useless players?

I love when you say the "haters" are all millennials, and if you know just a little about this board, you would see many people well past their 30's. You can bash and make personal attacks all you want, that doesn't change the truth: Benning is a bad GM and Aquilini is a even worse owner.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Exactly. It just eliminates the lame duck gm rhetoric which the club doesn’t need right now. I’m betting they just picked up the option year.

So regardless his future is dependent on how they perform this year. If they are a sub 90 point team he likely gets axed.

Just the cost of doing business in sports.
One can only hope that this is what's going on. Otherwise, any sort of extension would be madness on an incomprehensible level.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Great move to extend Benning

The absolute worst case scenario would be to have a GM entering the final year of his contract under pressure to make the playoffs.

This extension prevents the potential for some bad panic moves that were likely coming this season (or already started with the Miller trade)

Just because Benning has been extended doesn’t mean that his leash is any longer. The Aquilini’s have fired staff in the past with term left on their deals

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
He’s the only GM to miss the playoffs for the last 4 years still employed.
So what the hell is your point? Please show me another GM who inherited the mess that Benning did and was able to completely change the entire roster and still be a playoff team. Are you haters actually so friggen brainwashed, that you believe because he was rebuilding and the playoffs were not the goal, he should be fired for that? Then whatever GM that takesover is handed a playoff team, tons of Prospects, and cap space out the wazoo the next 4 years. Then all you sheep would be like, wow our new gm took us to the playoffs his first year, so much better then Benning. [MOD] Benning built this team, and deserves to be here ow that this is the team and franchise he built.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think this really matters

If the team misses the playoffs this year and the fans/media put on enough pressure, he'll probably get fired anyways.
Maybe the extension even prevents a desperate move at the trade deadline

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Pom and Alternate should be the happiest people on Earth today
Actually..I'm just as surprised as you are..

Although...for some posters (the ones with all the moron talk)..karma.

I still think that if things go pear shaped this season..he could still lose his job (but will probably be kicked upstairs)

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I'm not sure why this comes as such a surprise. It's pretty clear that they either weren't able to find anyone to replace him/ a president who would come in here and set up their own show and need to keep him in place for the moment, or they have decided that they think he's their guy.

Reactions: Real Gudbranson

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Lol you guys got to chill it's pretty obvious if we misses the playoffs he will get fired but they just gave him an extension as a vote of confidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad