Confirmed with Link: Canucks extend Clark, King, Baumgartner, Seward - add Shaw, Gustafson

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I'm just hoping these Clark and Shaw acquisitions are a sign that they're prepared to give competent people autonomy again to run certain departments, as they should have for Judd.

Perhaps Benning knows that he's in over his head in lots of areas and his hand is kind of being forced to bring in people smarter than him to right the ship and save his job.

Only issue is that these hires are at the lowest rung of management. No offence to coaching, but they can't really impact Benning's decisions which are probably the biggest issues.

However better defence and PP coaching alone will help get the most out of our flawed team comp, and I think acount for a pretty sizable improvement in on the ice and, in turn, the standings.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Just caught the same Clark interview on the Halford and Brough show....are you kidding me? The Canucks were actually dragging their feet about reupping this guy and risked letting him walk?

Sometimes the almighty helps people who can't help themselves....or in this case, a well-timed assist from Demko.

Very interested in his comments on DiPietro.....who he says will be an NHL goalie for sure. In Clark we trust.

Great point there. You have to wonder how much demkos comments forced management's hands on IC. I Mean Jesus that was way too close. It is hard to overstate how massive this is. Im feeling cautiously optimistic about next year.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Hard to be excited about the exact same team coming back next year. We are light years behind Vegas / Colorado / Tampa bay etc and podkolzin or a 9th overall this year isn’t changing that.

How the f*** did we get here. Wow.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Brad Shaw on his role with the Canucks, transition defensive game, Quinn Hughes - Sportsnet.ca

Man, I can't remember the last time the Canucks had someone so well-spoken on staff.
Linden didn't have to be well spoken as he already had built-in goodwill from him bleeding for the Canucks as a player for the team. May have not always played his best but didn't ever take a night off (ok, I swiped that from what Ted Lindsay said lol).

DimJim supplied some of the worst stretches of bad Canucks hockey in decades as GM. Even his unspectacular NHL career exceeds that feat by miles.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Linden didn't have to be well spoken as he already had built-in goodwill from him bleeding for the Canucks as a player for the team. May have not always played his best but didn't ever take a night off (ok, I swiped that from what Ted Lindsay said lol).

DimJim supplied some of the worst stretches of bad Canucks hockey in decades as GM. Even his unspectacular NHL career exceeds that feat by miles.
610 NHL games is hardly an unspectacular NHL career..He just played on unspectacular teams..Might want to reel it in a bit..

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Hard to be excited about the exact same team coming back next year. We are light years behind Vegas / Colorado / Tampa bay etc and podkolzin or a 9th overall this year isn’t changing that.

Seven years of "don't rush to judgement".

How the f*** did we get here. Wow.

610 NHL games is hardly an unspectacular NHL career..He just played on unspectacular teams..Might want to reel it in a bit..

610 games is certainly an accomplishment to be proud of, but I wouldn't describe Benning as a "spectacular" player to be fair.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
610 games is certainly an accomplishment to be proud of, but I wouldn't describe Benning as a "spectacular" player to be fair.
Nobody has claimed he was spectacular (comparative to his eye popping junior stats), most players are not....but 610 games as an NHL player is not unspectacular.

Its just more of the usual 'pile on' from the same posters who feel its their diligent duty to mock.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I do know that everyone is always talking about the day the Canucks acquired noted spectacular NHLer Max Lapierre.

Reactions: TruKnyte

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Nobody has ever claimed he was spectacular, but his career was definitely not not spectacular.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Nobody has claimed he was spectacular (comparative to his eye popping junior stats), most players are not....but 610 games as an NHL player is not unspectacular.

Its just more of the usual 'pile on' from the same posters who feel its their diligent duty to mock.
I used to have a set of CCM Gatekeeper goalie pads. They were nowhere near as protective as you are.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So Benning, as a GM, builds teams like he played on. That explains it. :thumbu:
nice try, but
giphy.gif

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Only issue is that these hires are at the lowest rung of management. No offence to coaching, but they can't really impact Benning's decisions which are probably the biggest issues.

However better defence and PP coaching alone will help get the most out of our flawed team comp, and I think acount for a pretty sizable improvement in on the ice and, in turn, the standings.
The players not going on strike like the way they did to start this season would probably help as well.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Only issue is that these hires are at the lowest rung of management. No offence to coaching, but they can't really impact Benning's decisions

Except when it does. I think Benning clearly listens to Green and tries to acquire players Green wants. I would think that Clark factors in any goaltending acquisition.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Gallant signed in New York. Feel like he couldve been a good fit with our group but I mean outside of Torts the Aquilinis have never paid for a real NHL coach. Always been someone from the AHL. Hopefully Shaw can turn around our 5v5 defense. With our goaltending if we can be even a top 15 defense in terms of opportunities and allowed zone time then we might actually do quite well this upcoming season. Right now we are a bottom 5 defense though so its going to take a lot of work and a lot of ignoring Travis Green/allowing Shaw some autonomy.

Reactions: mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad